shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting Thoughts needed

DrS

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My brother is designing a ring for his engagement and I took it upon myself to help him out with someone of the updates to the setting that he/she have picked out! She doesn't like any of the philigry underneath the halo and really wants to get rid of it any thoughts on what could be done underneath the halos as far as the "structural support" to change this up would be greatly appreciated

Thx,
Steph img_1272_3.jpg img_1292_0.png img_1272_2.jpg img_1269_4.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
What setting is this? It looks like it might be Tacori in which case getting rid of the filigree/vintage details really removes most of the personality and uniqueness of the brand.

DrS

Rough_Rock
Thank you I actually like the Gabriel.co gallery I appreciate your response!

DrS

Rough_Rock
CAD REVISIONS THOUGHTS PLEASE!

img_1343.png img_1344.png img_1342.png
Hey guys my brother received his revision anyone think it maybe to bulky around the the posts the ring size is going to be 2.75 any help with this would be great

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: CAD REVISIONS THOUGHTS PLEASE!

DrS|1476172016|4085534 said:
img_1343.png img_1344.png img_1342.png
Hey guys my brother received his revision anyone think it maybe to bulky around the the posts the ring size is going to be 2.75 any help with this would be great

Oh goodness, that's terrible. Seriously.

I'm exhausted right now and need to sleep but, just don't do anything more and we'll work on it some in the next couple days.

DrS

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy he needs some help with this badly!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is for a 2.75 finger? Have you checked how far it is across the top to make sure it's going to be a comfortable ring to wear?
You might consider not haloing the side stones. The band is too wide to me. I think you need to go down to single pave on the
shank and make the band not quite as wide.

DrS

Rough_Rock
It is for a 2.75 finger. She really likes the three halos so I think that has to stay as is but I'm concerned about all the posts I think it looks reall cluttered. My brother really wants to " bling" the ring out and wants the setting covered in diamonds but all those posts is a big concern

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
DrS|1476221854|4085850 said:
It is for a 2.75 finger. She really likes the three halos so I think that has to stay as is but I'm concerned about all the posts I think it looks reall cluttered. My brother really wants to " bling" the ring out and wants the setting covered in diamonds but all those posts is a big concern

Why is your brother designing your fiance's ring instead of you?

I think this is way, way too much.

Three halos, fine.

Those diamond struts are going to chew up any wedding band. And a band won't come close to fitting flush with this ring.

That much on the top view of a size 2.75 ring is going to be MORE than enough bling for anybody but the biggest of bling queens. Does she even want that?

They look kind of neat in the store, but as Tim Gunn would say, "it's a lot of look."

If you are SURE that this is how she wants it to look (not your brother...her) then we can work with it to clean it up a bit.

If it were me I really think I'd want the setting to look more like this:
http://s3.adiamor.com/video/r3029.mp4

or possibly this:

screen_shot_2016-10-11_at_5.png

DrS

Rough_Rock
Just to clarify I'm his sister! Also I jumped the gun in the opening post stating she doesn't like the filigree! She just doesn't like the filigree on the Simon g ring she tried on at a local jeweler!! So filigree is still in if we can incorporate it in to the setting. She does like the posts with diamonds but I think 9 posts is excessive and going to look terrible. The ring is going to be a 2.75 she has really small hands. The center stone is the one pictured above a bgd black 1.73 ct I like the clean look of the adiamor ring you posted above I'll show my brother this evening. Any thoughts on incorporating this verragio ring into the three halo setting? She likes vintage with a edge of modern design!

DrS

Rough_Rock
_1472.png

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
If you think she'd like the verragio - probably better to just purchase that one, as it's really hard to replicate just part of a verragio ring and have it come out right. Whiteflash sells them so you can still get a top class diamond.

I agree that the struts are going to look no bueno. Even on a bigger ring size - that's super bowl ring style.

The whiteflash page features some handshots of that ring, and I think it actually comes pretty close to the look - and is probably cheaper than a custom piece with all those diamonds everywhere.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/verragio-triple-halo-3-stone-engagement-ring-2201.htm

DrS

Rough_Rock
My brother has already purchased the diamond and paid for a custom setting to be made with bgd

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Deep breathes.

We have several challenges. Let's see if we can and resolve them. Good news is you are using BGD and they will be able execute well on the design once we have a clear direction to go in.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so have them do this.

Let's start at the top down view. Let's go for these proportions on the three center stone and the halos. Ignore the shank for now.

See how the two smaller stones are tucked UNDER the main halo and angled? That is an important thing to replicate because of her finger size.

Have them do 1/2 pointers on the melee for the halos. ALL the halos.

nk23739-18w_three_qrtr_3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The profile of the thing just needs to be scrapped entirely. It is horrendous. Not just ugly. Or awful. Or horrible. It's staggeringly horrendous. Tell them that for me. Tell them to scrap it ENTIRELY and switch to this profile.

uneek-three-stone-round-diamond-engagement-ring-lvs921-side_profile.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As for the shank. I agree that either a single pave row would be best. OR if if they can figure out how to do it maybe a pave knife edge like the below. BUT with 1/2 pointers on either side only. So it would be two rows of 1/2 pointers. And tell them to make the 'line' between the two 'sides' of the shank as thin as possible. You don't want it thick and milgrained like the below.

Ask for those changes, and then let's see where we are.

je8480_white_1_small.jpg

je8480_white_3_small.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DrS|1476232406|4085946 said:
My brother has already purchased the diamond and paid for a custom setting to be made with bgd
Has she seen the Verragio 5025CU -- with the Venetian Lace shank depicted in the Whiteflash listing -- in person so as to feel confident that this is indeed the ring that makes her heart sing?

If so, your brother would lose only $250 if he were to call a halt to proceeding with BGD at this preliminary stage of the custom setting process. See the third FAQ on this Custom Engagement Rings page:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/custom-engagement-rings/

But... he should first contact Whiteflash & ask them to ask Verragio if they will make 5025CU in a size 2.75, and if so, how much they would charge.

I'd also reconsider purchasing a size 2.75, especially if she's not interested in the Venetian Classic shank, the simplest (and therefore more easily resized as she goes through life) of the various shanks offered in the Venetian collection:
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/verragio-venetian-collection-personalize-your-designer-engagement-ring-1338.htm
So I'd be curious to learn what WF has to say about this Fit-Right solution from Verragio, what their customers' experience with it has been:
https://www.verragio.com/Fit_Right

DrS

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies,
My sister steph had taken it upon herself to help me out with the design of the engagement ring. She just informed me that she started a thread here so I figured I'd get hands on. The first cads came out not great so scrolling through all the feedback here lets me know my initial thoughts are correct in redoing this thing! So let's start over. The three halos on top are a must! She really likes the simon g ring that was first posted as far as the top view. She stated to me that she would like a single row of melee on the shank 3/4 around. Gypsy I do like the profile to the ring you posted I will get intouch with BGD and let them know the changes that need to made tomorrow morning. I want to thank you all for your input here and I will post the cads once I receive them. Thanks - Sean

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DrS|1476254897|4086042 said:
Hi ladies,
My sister steph had taken it upon herself to help me out with the design of the engagement ring. She just informed me that she started a thread here so I figured I'd get hands on. The first cads came out not great so scrolling through all the feedback here lets me know my initial thoughts are correct in redoing this thing! So let's start over. The three halos on top are a must! She really likes the simon g ring that was first posted as far as the top view. She stated to me that she would like a single row of melee on the shank 3/4 around. Gypsy I do like the profile to the ring you posted I will get intouch with BGD and let them know the changes that need to made tomorrow morning. I want to thank you all for your input here and I will post the cads once I receive them. Thanks - Sean

PERFECT. Please post revised CADs.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe please don't tell them that their work is horrendous, considering it's what you asked them to do for a first pass.

Not really good to start the custom process off so contentiously.

Razz

Rough_Rock
This seems like a really big job and a long process to design the setting yourself, but I know it's worth it in the end to get something totally unique and it will make it all the more special to your sweetheart.

DrS

Rough_Rock
Ok,
I talked to BGD today and let them know lets basically scrap the old design minus the top three halos and go with a single pave with something like the Natalie K ring proposed by gypsy! We should have a Cads back in a week or so! I will keep you all updated as soon as I receive them but in the mean time here is the original cads that BGD had asked me to post her to get your opinions on so here they are image_119.png image_120.png image_121.png image_122.png

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Much better, but I'd still get rid of the triple pave band. That's going to be really wide on such a small finger.

DrS

Rough_Rock
I agree with you! We are going with a single row pave band due to her small finger size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gallery for me is better, A LOT better, but still bulky and high for a small finger. Also cushion shaped not round.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1476395357|4086820 said:
Gallery for me is better, A LOT better, but still bulky and high for a small finger. Also cushion shaped not round.

It looks to me that the original picture of the simon g did have a cushion halo for what looks like a round center, so that might be the intended look.

I think with losses from polishing, etc that the gallery would be more refined in real life.

DrS, does she want a wedding band to fit with this or is she fine with either needing a custom shaped band or having it not sit close to the ring?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1476393624|4086810 said:
Much better, but I'd still get rid of the triple pave band. That's going to be really wide on such a small finger.
DrS said:
I agree with you! We are going with a single row pave band due to her small finger size.
Think you two will be pleased with that decision :)) Not only because of her small finger; that kind of 3-row pave requires extra "babying" of the ring no matter the finger size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results