shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Rings

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Hey Everyone,

So as I stated in my welcome post my boyfriend and I went the route of getting my ring custom made. This past Saturday is when we had the first appointment with the jeweler and discussed what I wanted and all of that initial stuff. The thing is, is now that we have had that meeting, my bf says I am out of the process. This is fine because I want all aspects of surprise that are left.

The thing is both of us know very little about the custom ring process. I was wondering how the process goes. We had the diamond since we inherited it from his grandmother. The setting though calls for two other stones (its a three stone ring). I know that the jeweler was supposed to call my bf either yesterday or today about those stones.

So, since we had the center stone already. What is the process of getting a custom setting made? How long does a custom typically take to be made?

Ever since Saturday I have been having this horrible feeling its going to be messed up and my bf promised me he would inform me when he got the first call and that is it. Well we haven't gotten that first call. I know I am being extremely paranoid. Since I do not know what steps this is going to go through I fear something is being done wrong. haha

Thanks for reading my worrying and helping if you have anything to tell me about the custom ring process.

crhq5c

Rough_Rock
I did the exact same thing as you... I had my mother's diamond that I was using, but we added to diamonds to it and a halo. Basically, we discussed with the jeweler what we wanted and gave them the diamond. They then based the size of the side stones of the size of my center diamond and created CAD images for us to approve. The CAD images took about 2 weeks for us to get. After we approved the CAD images, the created a wax model and that's when we got to approve the side stones that were going in it (they looked for the correct size and color to match my center stone while they were going through the CAD process). Once the wax model was approved they moved on and created the real ring with the stone we approved. The whole process took about a month from start to finish, but I think it depends on the jeweler. I think I would of died if I didn't get to see at least the CAD images first. Luckily my fiance accepts how controlling and impatient I am! :lol:

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so right now he may be in a waiting game and nothing it really happening that he knows. The jeweler never mentions anything about a CAD image but I think that is what would be talked about after he found the side diamonds. The jeweler isn't holding onto the diamond either, my BF is just going in there when they are ready to set it.

I am both happy and going nuts from the decision of not being a part of it. I am sure I could be if I pushed enough haha but I will let him have this and he can surprise me. I feel like I am going crazy though because all I can think about is this ring and it being the one I want! I have this fear that its going to be messed up or the price is going to skyrocket from the original quote.

crhq5c

Rough_Rock
Our jeweler wanted the diamond for size when he designed it. We didn't give our diamond to the jeweler the same day we talked to them because I wanted to look/talk to 1 other place. Different jewelers do it differently though. When we picked out the ring, we didn't have the diamond (I was so nervous to carry it around), so they hadn't seen it yet. Also, when they gave us a price, they gave us a range because it depended the quality of the diamonds, which depended on the quality of the the diamond I had. When we got the ring, it was towards the top of that range, but we were expecting it because we knew my mom's diamond was really white and a good cut. Even though I was stressed out by it, I was very happy with the process, the jeweler, and the final product.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Oh okay, that makes sense. We had the diamond with us and he measured it. We are having the issue of matching a good diamond too, hopefully those side diamonds arent too high in price. I wish they gave us a price range. Maybe they gave my bf a range and not me. I was told today that the remaining process will be a mystery and since I keep pesturing about calls (haha i am anxious!) I will not get any updates haha. He said he will be even more excited if I know nothing about the process or anything about the process time. SO now I just wait.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results