shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Process

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have posted a few times as I decided on the setting I like and I *think* I have decided on this style from Tacori http://www.tacori.com/engagement/45-15pr55.html. Unfortunately, the Tacori price tag is way, way expensive.

Before I really started searching for the perfect setting, I met a wonderful jeweler who primarily makes custom rings. He suggested that I find a style I like and then return with design ideas so we could make a custom ring. His prices, based on a previous quote for a different ring design, are quite reasonable. I know that getting a custom ring can be cheaper, especially when you are interested in a designer setting like Tacori. I also know that I'll need to have the design changed by 20% because of copyright. I'm okay with that since there are only a few details that are an absolute must (i.e., the pave diamonds and the milgrain detail).

The custom process freaks me out a bit, but I do like this particular jeweler and want to work with him if possible. Any suggestions for a newbie to the custom process? What kinds of questions should I definitely ask beforehand? Should a good jeweler have a portfolio on hand to show me? I will be meeting this jeweler again next week and want to be prepared.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The experts on the PS forum are so fantastic!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are familiar with judging quality of custom jewelry, I am not sure just looking at a few of his pieces will help you a lot. But by all means do ask to see some of it. That setting should also be pretty easy to find in other brands if the princess cuts and milgrain edge are the important features. Is your center stone a princess cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think custom is risky unless you are going with a ring maker that is known for outstanding quality. We can tell you some great custom ring makers, but if you can find a ring design that is available, then it would be safer to just order one.

I really like this one a lot, and it can be made in 14k or 18k white gold or platinum.

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/micropave-braided-diamond-band-engagement-ring-with-milgrain-finish-in-18kt-white-gold/12060

I am not seeing anything else at the moment and I am going to have to give up the search for tonight!

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Thanks, diamondseeker2006! I agree that it could be risky. I am also still looking for a lookalike setting. I have found a couple but they are either equally as expensive or just don't have the same "wow" factor. I actually tried the Ritani you mentioned but did not like the braiding detail so much. I also found a similar setting on Brilliant Earth http://www.brilliantearth.com/Pavé-Milgrain-Diamond-Ring-(1/4-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1PD16R25M-528/. However, I read several negative reviews on Yelp for this company which makes me wonder about them. I also prefer to find a place that can show me the ring in person. I have had several instances where I loved a ring online and then hated it when I tried it on in person. It just didn't look quite right on my finger even though the piece was beautiful otherwise. Plus, I think it would be great if we could buy local, at least for the setting. I think we'll probably go with Whiteflash for the diamond itself. They have a great selection of princess cut diamonds (the center stone I want) at very nice prices.

I'm in the Central Florida area if that helps. I'd love to get some recommendations for jewelers. I want someone who does quality work and who will help us stay in budget rather than pressuring us to spend more. I'm okay with someone who is frank and will say "Look. You can't get this in your price range." so long as they will recommend alternatives that go with my design preferences that WILL work within the budget.

I have looked into Victoria Jewelers http://victoriajewelers.net and Swalstead Jewelers http://www.swalstead.com/?Page=Home so far.

Thanks again for the advice! It is amazingly helpful. I honestly can't say enough good things about this forum!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't whiteflash carry Tacori? If they do, let them know what you want and see what they can do for best price. They might have more wiggle room on pricing if you do the stone and setting through them. Either way the Tacori price doesn't seem that crazy to me. Simple rings with diamonds often start around the 1k mark anyway. If this is the perfect setting that you love get the best price you can and go for it. No regrets that way or agonizing over the custom process.

*Ideally you want your diamond and setting to come from the same place for setting insurance purposes. If you buy your diamond from whiteflash the jeweler who has the setting and sets the stone most likely won't insure the diamond during the setting process since they didn't sell the stone. Princess diamonds are the most likely to break overall due to the sharp corners so I would really let whiteflash do the whole thing. And make sure you insure the whole piece through jewelers mutual when it's completed.

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1410097795|3746420 said:
Doesn't whiteflash carry Tacori? If they do, let them know what you want and see what they can do for best price. They might have more wiggle room on pricing if you do the stone and setting through them. Either way the Tacori price doesn't seem that crazy to me. Simple rings with diamonds often start around the 1k mark anyway. If this is the perfect setting that you love get the best price you can and go for it. No regrets that way or agonizing over the custom process.

*Ideally you want your diamond and setting to come from the same place for setting insurance purposes. If you buy your diamond from whiteflash the jeweler who has the setting and sets the stone most likely won't insure the diamond during the setting process since they didn't sell the stone. Princess diamonds are the most likely to break overall due to the sharp corners so I would really let whiteflash do the whole thing. And make sure you insure the whole piece through jewelers mutual when it's completed.

Thank you, Asscherhalo_lover! I actually just read a help thread on the PS forum that said something similar about getting the stone and setting at the same place. I wasn't aware of that originally and will now try harder to get everything from the same place, especially considering princess cut stones are more prone to break during the setting process.

I also agree that the price isn't outrageous. It's just that we have a $4,000 budget for everything (e-ring, center stone, wedding band) and so the Tacori setting swallows up that entire budget. I have considered the simpler version of the Tacori design I like http://www.tacori.com/engagement/50pr6.html that does not have diamonds. That would be perfect in regards to price and I may end up going that route depending on what I find during my search. I'm hoping to get a diamond in the .5 to .75 carat range (G-H color, VS1-VS2 clarity, ideal cut). Whiteflash seems to have several that meet this criteria and fall in the $1500-$2000 price range. Oh, and, yes, Whiteflash does carry Tacori. I did not see all the setting online, but I'm guessing they could order one from Tacori if they already carry that line.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky2014|1410095537|3746401 said:
Thanks, diamondseeker2006! I agree that it could be risky. I am also still looking for a lookalike setting. I have found a couple but they are either equally as expensive or just don't have the same "wow" factor. I actually tried the Ritani you mentioned but did not like the braiding detail so much. I also found a similar setting on Brilliant Earth http://www.brilliantearth.com/Pavé-Milgrain-Diamond-Ring-(1/4-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1PD16R25M-528/. However, I read several negative reviews on Yelp for this company which makes me wonder about them. I also prefer to find a place that can show me the ring in person. I have had several instances where I loved a ring online and then hated it when I tried it on in person. It just didn't look quite right on my finger even though the piece was beautiful otherwise. Plus, I think it would be great if we could buy local, at least for the setting. I think we'll probably go with Whiteflash for the diamond itself. They have a great selection of princess cut diamonds (the center stone I want) at very nice prices.

Rocky, what about the Tacori piece "wowed" you, specifically? Is it the head? The "Tacori" scalloping? The milgrain? The name Tacori?? :halo: The reason I ask is because it's a very basic setting that many companies make very similar designs. I don't blame you for not wanting to blow all your budget on this setting...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rocky2014|1410099055|3746430 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1410097795|3746420 said:

Thank you, Asscherhalo_lover! I actually just read a help thread on the PS forum that said something similar about getting the stone and setting at the same place. I wasn't aware of that originally and will now try harder to get everything from the same place, especially considering princess cut stones are more prone to break during the setting process.

I also agree that the price isn't outrageous. It's just that we have a $4,000 budget for everything (e-ring, center stone, wedding band) and so the Tacori setting swallows up that entire budget. I have considered the simpler version of the Tacori design I like http://www.tacori.com/engagement/50pr6.html that does not have diamonds. That would be perfect in regards to price and I may end up going that route depending on what I find during my search. I'm hoping to get a diamond in the .5 to .75 carat range (G-H color, VS1-VS2 clarity, ideal cut). Whiteflash seems to have several that meet this criteria and fall in the $1500-$2000 price range. Oh, and, yes, Whiteflash does carry Tacori. I did not see all the setting online, but I'm guessing they could order one from Tacori if they already carry that line.

I just looked at the original design that you posted and it has those swooping cut outs above the milgrain on the side view. That particular design element is copywrited and possibly patented, I do not remember exactly, but I do remember that Tacori is extremely aggressive in protecting that design element. If that is what you like, you are going to want to go with Tacori as any one else who does that part of the design will be in violation of Tacori's design protection. That might not bother some people, but with something as symbolic as a wedding and engagement set, I know it would bother the heck out of me.

Just my thoughts on a beautiful Sunday morning in Boise, Idaho.

Wink

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I just realized that the Vatche ring has rounds in the shank... does the setting have to have princess cuts or is round okay? I will continue to look. :))

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
@ Wink: I do like the swooping cut outs, but it's okay if the ring I pick doesn't have that element. It did seem like something special to Tacori and so I figured I'd only get that design element if I go with the actual Tacori ring.

@ msop04: I like a lot of the aspects of that ring from Vatche. The only problem is it is cathedral setting (correct me if I'm wrong!), and I don't tend to like that look in person. I prefer the lower setting in the Tacori. The diamond still seems to sit higher and yet the band does not curve up. I think the way the diamond sits and the width of the band is part of the appeal. I like the thin band and the way the two rings together look as if they are one ring. I like the "matchy" look and will probably opt for princess cut diamonds in the band if I can get it. I do like that there is a little something going on on the side of the band. I also like that it is engraved into the metal rather than something that is raised up.

So, in short, if you removed the cut outs and had a similar setting I would like it. Something where the band is lower (is that Tiffany style?) and where the diamond still appears higher up due to prongs. I apologize for the poor description. I only have two pieces of real jewelry and one is a family heirloom. That gives you an idea of the extent of my expertise on jewelry. ;-) Also, the Tacori name isn't the attraction, I think. I actually had never heard of Tacori until we started looking at rings. Unfortunately, I was drawn to an expensive designer brand while browsing--go figure! :lol:

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Can anyone vouch for Brilliant Earth by the way? I wasn't as impressed with the diamond selection, but the e-ring I posted earlier seems perfect based on the preferences I mentioned before. http://www.brilliantearth.com/Pavé-Milgrain-Diamond-Ring-(1/4-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1PD16R25M-528/. They also have this matching band in diamonds and/or diamonds and sapphires http://www.brilliantearth.com/Pavé-Milgrain-Diamond-and-Sapphire-Ring-White-Gold-BE2BD9S8R30/. Diamonds are round though. I would have a chance to see it in person since I'll be passing through San Fran in November. I don't know how they are on diamonds though, and so that would still leave me with the issue of buying the setting from one person and diamond from another. :Sigh:

Also, the diamond posted earlier is lovely! I think it's a little higher on price though since that 4k budget is pretty strict. I'd probably opt for a smaller stone. I honestly think a .5 carat diamond is perfectly fine. I do like the .75 size a little better, but would opt for a smaller stone if that meant staying in the budget.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more...

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-ri...ith-surprise-diamonds-in-14kt-white-gold/5322

This one's only $950, but I'm not crazy about the peg head feature... you could have the engraving removed.
http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-R...ed-Tapered-Diamond-Ring-1-4ct/WhiteGold/1706#

Here is a thread showing the WF Sleekline Legato with milgrain added -- VERY NICE!!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ain-engraving-pave-need-your-opinions.177974/
legato1.jpg legato2.jpg legato4.jpg

EDIT: just realized the first ring I posted as Vatche is actually the Legato... Sorry!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky2014|1410105107|3746465 said:
@ msop04: I like a lot of the aspects of that ring from Vatche. The only problem is it is cathedral setting (correct me if I'm wrong!), and I don't tend to like that look in person. I prefer the lower setting in the Tacori. The diamond still seems to sit higher and yet the band does not curve up. I think the way the diamond sits and the width of the band is part of the appeal. I like the thin band and the way the two rings together look as if they are one ring. I like the "matchy" look and will probably opt for princess cut diamonds in the band if I can get it. I do like that there is a little something going on on the side of the band. I also like that it is engraved into the metal rather than something that is raised up.

So, in short, if you removed the cut outs and had a similar setting I would like it. Something where the band is lower (is that Tiffany style?) and where the diamond still appears higher up due to prongs.

Sorry, Rocky... I've been just posting away and didn't see your comments! :oops:

Just wanted to add that the Tacori ring isn't set lower than the Legato (which I erronously said was from Vatche -- so sorry!!). The Tacori is not set low at all, and it looks to be the same height off the finger as the Legato. You could call WF and they can tell you for sure, but just based on photos, they look the same... only the Legato seems sturdier, since the head of the Tacori is very narrow where it meets the shank -- and the Legato's band does curve up, the Tacori, however, does not.

All that said, if you don't like the cathedral style, then there's really nothing to be done for that. So, just to clarify, you prefer the look with a full round band (shank) with the head sticking up from it, yes? :read:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legato (and set) vs Tacori height

imageuploadedbytapatalk1410109371.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1410109991.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1410110015.jpg

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Yes, I like it! Is this a good vendor to buy a diamond from as well? I also posted urls of another band from Brilliant Earth. Not sure if they were working so I am attaching the images this time. These both seem to fit the bill, but then there's the issue of the diamond. One poster mentioned that you should ideally get the setting and the diamond from the same place, and I want to be sure that the place I buy from will treat me right if anything goes wrong (hopefully nothing will but ya never know). That's the main reason I'm not so sure about Brilliant Earth. There are mixed reviews online for them and I didn't get much when searching the PS forum. They do have an A+ rating from BBB though.

Thank you for all the help!! I will eventually post when we get the ring. :D

be_ring_front_view.jpg

be_ring_side_view.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky2014|1410112755|3746525 said:
Yes, I like it! Is this a good vendor to buy a diamond from as well? I also posted urls of another band from Brilliant Earth. Not sure if they were working so I am attaching the images this time. These both seem to fit the bill, but then there's the issue of the diamond. One poster mentioned that you should ideally get the setting and the diamond from the same place, and I want to be sure that the place I buy from will treat me right if anything goes wrong (hopefully nothing will but ya never know). That's the main reason I'm not so sure about Brilliant Earth. There are mixed reviews online for them and I didn't get much when searching the PS forum. They do have an A+ rating from BBB though.

Thank you for all the help!! I will eventually post when we get the ring. :D

That is a pretty ring you posted, but it is a peg head -- not as sturdy as an integrated head... just something to think about. If you're okay with a peg head, then it will be much easier to find that style. However, I think the integrated head looks much nicer and will be safer.

Brilliant Earth will not sell you a setting without buying your diamond from them, and they are WAAAAYYYYY overpriced. I don't have any personal experience with Eternity By Yoni, but I've noticed several people on PS have used them. You can do a search and check out the PS reviews.

It is ideal to get the diamond and setting at the same place, but you don't have to do that... people get diamonds and settings in different places all the time. Just make sure the vendor setting it has a good reputation (and you have insurance -- just in case).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no photos, but this is one I liked... It's GIA, E color, and should be eye clean with a VS2 grade AND it's much larger at 5.3 x 5.0 mm (not perfectly square -- don't know if that's a deal breaker or not). Hopefully another PS will chime in on this. Also, since the EBY setting is less expensive, you can spend a little over $3K for the stone.

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/0.76-E-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Princess-Diamond-GIA-2161446994/ds-1568488/

I found these "safe" specs (Ideal, white, eye clean) within your budget.
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond-search?shape=7&carat_min=0.7&carat_max=1.1&price_min=%24230&price_max=%243000&page=0&order_by=Price&type=ASC&cut_min=1&cut_max=2&color_min=1&color_max=5&clarity_min=1&clarity_max=7&depth_min=&depth_max=&table_min=&table_max=&price_carat_min=&price_carat_max=&polish_min=2&polish_max=2&symmetry_min=2&symmetry_max=2&fluorescence_min=1&fluorescence_max=6&gia_cert=

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
msop04|1410113921|3746535 said:
There are no photos, but this is one I liked... It's GIA, E color, and should be eye clean with a VS2 grade AND it's much larger at 5.3 x 5.0 mm (not perfectly square -- don't know if that's a deal breaker or not). Hopefully another PS will chime in on this. Also, since the EBY setting is less expensive, you can spend a little over $3K for the stone.

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/0.76-E-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Princess-Diamond-GIA-2161446994/ds-1568488/

I found these "safe" specs (Ideal, white, eye clean) within your budget.
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond-search?shape=7&carat_min=0.7&carat_max=1.1&price_min=%24230&price_max=%243000&page=0&order_by=Price&type=ASC&cut_min=1&cut_max=2&color_min=1&color_max=5&clarity_min=1&clarity_max=7&depth_min=&depth_max=&table_min=&table_max=&price_carat_min=&price_carat_max=&polish_min=2&polish_max=2&symmetry_min=2&symmetry_max=2&fluorescence_min=1&fluorescence_max=6&gia_cert=

msop04, thanks for all your tips and suggestions!!! I'm going to do a little more browsing around before settling on the setting, and then it's up to the boyfriend from there. :D One quick question I wanted to ask, especially since you posted about this before, is about the scale of Tacori's rings. I don't know if I'll go with either of the two settings posted below (still leaning towards a pave ring with milgrain detail), but in the event that I do I don't want to get a shock when they come in. What, exactly, might change on the ring with a smaller size stone (.6 to .7 carat range). I have only seen the rings mentioned with a 1 carat stone in person, so I'm trying to imagine what would change when the ring is set with a smaller stone. I asked Whiteflash about this as well and they assured me that the band itself would be the same width. That leave the prongs, I guess. ???

tacori_option_1.jpg

tacori_option_2.jpg

tacori_option_1_side.jpg

tacori_option_2_side.jpg

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Reposting my comment b/c it seems to be cut off for some reason.

msop04, thanks for all your tips and suggestions!!! I'm going to do a little more browsing around before settling on the setting, and then it's up to the boyfriend from there. :D One quick question I wanted to ask, especially since you posted about this before, is about the scale of Tacori's rings. I don't know if I'll go with either of the two settings posted below (still leaning towards a pave ring with milgrain detail), but in the event that I do I don't want to get a shock when they come in. What, exactly, might change on the ring with a smaller size stone (.6 to .7 carat range). I have only seen the rings mentioned with a 1 carat stone in person, so I'm trying to imagine what would change when the ring is set with a smaller stone. I asked Whiteflash about this as well and they assured me that the band itself would be the same width. That leave the prongs, I guess. ???

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky2014 said:
Reposting my comment b/c it seems to be cut off for some reason.

Since the Tacori settings you posted above are not as intricate as the "typical" Tacori look and are plain with a little milgrain detail, I wouldn't worry about it.

What I noticed is when you see the Tacori rings in magazines and on commercials, you see every little intricate detail because they are blown up so large... But in real life, a lot of the detail is lost because it's so tiny. I had the opposite problem with the setting that I liked. I had only seen the setting with a 1.5 carat, but the stone I was looking at was a 2 ct. I had them order the setting for a 2 carat so I could look at it… It was heinous. All of the delicacy was gone, and it totally changed the aesthetic of the ring. The settings you posted wouldn't be phased.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, Rocky, it's pretty easy to find similar settings to the ones you just posted (really, some even nicer IMO) for a lot less money than Tacori.

If I had your budget to find a ring (esp the ones with the plain metal), I wouldn't wanna spend a chunk of it on a Tacori when you could put more toward your stone and get a similar setting for less.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results