shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom heart-shaped box?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onlyforher

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a heart-shaped ring box, with a lock that will take a certain key.

Here''s why:

A couple weeks ago I went on a romantic walk with my GF, and handed her a cheap small white box. On the very top were some old-fashioned looking keys (Actually fake-handcuff keys, solid metal). I explained what they represented. She smiled, and then I said, wait, there''s more... In the bottom of the box she found a necklace with a heart and key on it. (very small key)

My proposal idea is this: Some time with her I''ll give her the box and explain how X weeks, days, hours ago I gave her the key to my heart, and now I''d like to give her my whole heart. Then I''ll have her open it (If she brought her key, if not, I''ll have mine along, and have her pretend it''s hers), then she''ll see the ring, and well, I''m not entirley sure what will happen next, but I think it''ll come automatically to both of us. ;-)

I''m a bit more romantic than that sounds, and will likely mix in a few roses and a romantic setting of some sort.

My only problem is finding a heart shaped box, let alone a locking heart shaped box.

Has anyone here got any ideas?

Thanks!
-OnlyForher

onlyforher

Rough_Rock
I''ve decided to go with a heart-shaped ring boxes that can be found almost anywhere, and mod it a little to support my key-lock. If there''s room underneath, I may also add a battery and some lighting. ;-)

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Please post pics! How neat!

onlyforher

Rough_Rock
I''ve got a few boxes (incase I make a mistake), so now it''s the lighting and lock... I only wish the heart-shaped boxes were a little more heart shaped. Oh well.

Pics comming after I get the lighting and/or lock on it.

-OnlyForHer

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flocked-Velour-Velvet-Red-Heart-Jewelry-Ring-Gift-Box_W0QQitemZ320033123901QQihZ011QQcategoryZ67688QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay has all kinds. Your idea is so sweet. She''ll love it.

onlyforher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip oshinbreez, that is exactly what I got from another online store for about the same price.

Infact, I got four of them: two red/white, and two black/white. I spent a total of just over $10 for all the boxes and shipping. Not bad, eh? ;-)

Then I got busy and planned on how to stick LED's in them. I decided to go with just one LED, switch, resister (a MUST for LEDs), and batterys. I bought my LED's from superbrightleds.com. Not real expensive, considering the price of the ring! I went ahead and bought 10 of the things to make it worth the shipping cost. (Plus, I can use them for other projects, they're cool!)

The hardest part in this was trying to attach the switch to the case so it wouldn't move! I settled on some very short screws screwed in a very short distance. You can feel the end of one if you press hard on the bottom of the case.

The other hard part was figuring out how to get enough battery juice in that small space. I needed over 3.7 volts. Each of those battery's is only 1.5! I couldn't find any small battery's that were 6v (one 12v, but that would requre a big/hot resister). So, I settled for my improvised battery pack.

The battery pack is rather simple. Each battery is facing alternating directions. It is really simple to make yourself.
A) Using scotch tape, place a thin (1) layer around the perimeter of two of the batterys. Those are the end batterys.
B) Place a long (3") of tape stickyside UP on the table.
c) Put a short (3/8") piece of metal on the center left of the tape. This will connect the first two batterys.
D) Place the first battery face up, with the center of it on the LEFT side of the metal.
E) Place the un-wrapped battery face DOWN, on the right end of the piece of metal, with the sides of the batterys ALMOST touching (they can, the tape insulates)
F) Place the last battery face UP on the right side of both battery's, the same distance away from the 2nd battery
G) Place another short piece of metal ontop of both the last battery's. Make sure this piece does not touch the 1st battery!
H) Lay another strip on top of this all, and wrap the whole thing tight. TaDa! A 4.5 Volt battery, in horizontal form! You may substitute tinfoil for a strip of metal, I choose the metal so I KNEW it would make contact.
I) Scrape away the tape from the FIRST battery on the NON-Metal-Strip side, so you can touch it with a wire. DO the same to the LAST battery, on the opposite side (will be the Non-metal-strip side)

Oh, you want photos? ;-) ok, here they are!

What NEW looks like

Step one: Remove base. Make sure to insert the flat object all the way down to break the glue. WOrk your way around the base.

Step Two: Keep working around the base. The inside unit (my battery holder) will come up and out

WooHoo, it's out!

Removing the back:

All the pieces:

Wires from switch to LED

Wires again (That's tinfoil around the LED with a black clip. The tinfoil is there to shield the white fabric from a BRIGHT WHITE spot behind the ring. INstead, there's tinfoil on the upper inside back of the top piece, which reflects towards the ring.

Battery pack (Those silver things are bent pieces of metal with copper attached. The copper goes from the metal to the end of the batterys, and the same thing on the other end. You can spy one tip of copper on the far upper right.

Switch close-up (Black wire goes from battery clip to switch. Resister connects to switch, and wire to LED.)

After much work, they light up! (in real life the black flocking sparkles a tiny bit. Nothing shows up in the photos though)

Light-up in light

Lightup in semi-dark

Those things are tiny! My fingers look like monsters! Now I have One red un-lit box, one red lit box, one unlit black box, and one lit black box..... ;-)

The ring should be arriving this week some time.
36.gif

What do you think? I may darken the lighting by putting brown/black/whatever color felt between the LED and the white backing.. it IS pretty bright to look at in the middle of the night.

-OnlyForHer

onlyforher

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure if I can get any kind of lock in there... even a thin metal piece with a slight hook on the end that can be pushed out of the way with the key. hmmmm... so Perhaps I''m not completely done yet. We''ll see.

-OnlyForHer

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
WOW what your doind is really sweet!! I''m sure she''ll love it...

I found this boxes here

Maybe you can add something like that to your box and put a mini mini lock there...

Boogeyman

Rough_Rock
That box setup is GREAT! I''ve just joined this forum and have been looking for lighted boxes as well. I''ve got a couple of questions for you if you''d shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results