shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Engagement Ring

JayUU

Rough_Rock
Howdy folks,

New guy here, nice to meet you all! I live in a rural part of western-Europe and few people here know much about custom jewelry. I wanna get my girl something special to go along with poppin' a certain question. Fact of the matter is that every jeweler in the area (~50km around my place) will sell you something out of a catalog and he/she can customize it (size of the stone can go up or down a size, size of the band can be worked with) and that's about it. All hella expensive and I think I've seen about 100 options amongst their collective offer. So hop on the internet train, find some jewelers on Etsy, China, Britain and the US, found out about more materials to get your jewels in than gold & silver (appearently platinum, tungsten, palladium work for jewelry too!), find "CAD designed" options... but what's best? Will a CAD designed and cast ring be of equal strength as a traditionally crafted one?

The rest is pretty clear to me, I'll get working on a design for either a craftman or a CAD designer. Probably gonna be a platinum ring, moissanite centre big stone, couple of smaller stones around it, wide around the centerpiece (oval). You guys got any recommendations, do's or don'ts?

Gonna spend the rest of the night browsing through all the information available here!

Happy to be here & see ya around!

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
Hi JayUU,

Welcome to pricescope. I can’t help you with your design needs unfortunately, but lots of others here can. However, this subforum is not very frequented. Maybe ask the moderators to move your thread to ‘rockytalky you will get a lot more answers there.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Howdy folks,

New guy here, nice to meet you all! I live in a rural part of western-Europe and few people here know much about custom jewelry. I wanna get my girl something special to go along with poppin' a certain question. Fact of the matter is that every jeweler in the area (~50km around my place) will sell you something out of a catalog and he/she can customize it (size of the stone can go up or down a size, size of the band can be worked with) and that's about it. All hella expensive and I think I've seen about 100 options amongst their collective offer. So hop on the internet train, find some jewelers on Etsy, China, Britain and the US, found out about more materials to get your jewels in than gold & silver (appearently platinum, tungsten, palladium work for jewelry too!), find "CAD designed" options... but what's best? Will a CAD designed and cast ring be of equal strength as a traditionally crafted one?

The rest is pretty clear to me, I'll get working on a design for either a craftman or a CAD designer. Probably gonna be a platinum ring, moissanite centre big stone, couple of smaller stones around it, wide around the centerpiece (oval). You guys got any recommendations, do's or don'ts?

Gonna spend the rest of the night browsing through all the information available here!

Happy to be here & see ya around!

Hey there, there are a few threads over in our Fashion Jewelry forum that will help you look at moissanite. But first, have you confirmed with your girlfriend that she wants a moissanite and not a diamond? If she is European, she may not have high expectations since e-rings are not such a big thing there, but she may still care about having a natural mined stone vs a synthetic. Me, for example, I like moissanite but preferred a sapphire for my e-ring.

Secondly, has she indicated what size she wants? She may not necessarily want a large stone if it attracts attention.

Lastly, I would suggest choosing a material that is easily sizeable by a local jeweller. Platinum is a great choice, but not if your local shops can’t size it. Do note that ring sizes can fluctuate over time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results