shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Antique-Style Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Hello again all!

I know I must be boring you all to tears with all my questions about antiquish rings, but while there are many out there to choose from, none of them seem to be exactly what I want! I don''t want to settle this time, so I''m considering having a setting custom made. Unfortunately, Lesley from Whiteflash (who has been wonderful, by the way, very patient,) says that the sort of intricate setting I want is normally cast, not custom designed, and that if it was made custom it would be ridiculously expensive.

Ridiculously expensive would be a problem, and this is all particularly frustrating as I''m sure that my ideal ring must exist out there already, and I just can''t FIND IT!
sad.gif
I found an add for a jewelry store in my area that does custom platinum work, including antiquish stuff, but I''m sure their prices will be verrrry steep.

So, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced jeweler who does custom antique-style work????

Thanks for your patience and info!

-Melissa

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
What are you looking for? I'm sure you've posted it before because I think we like some of the same stuff if I remember correctly.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
What am I looking for? Thank you for asking! (You may regret it!
1.gif
)

Well......I am looking for something simple yet intricate, decorated yet clean. How's that for a description!
naughty.gif

Seriously, I want a thin band with some engraving and a few little diamonds.

I want the band to curve up to the stone.

I prefer four wide (but not thick) prongs, or double-prongs.

I have a round stone and do not want the setting to look squared.

From the top, I only want the diamond, prongs and band to show.....nothing inflating the size. (I have small hands and skinny fingers.)

I would like some interesting detail on the sides of the ring...I don't know what exactly, but I am picky about it.

I don't want any of the side detail to stick out too far. I will wear a round wedding band with the ring, and while I don't expect it to sit flush,
I don't want there to be large gaps in between the two rings.

I don't want the diamond to sit too high.

The setting needs to be made for a 1 carat stone.

Perhaps now you can see why I'm having so much trouble! I've actually found some settings that could work, but that I'm not in love with on http://antiqueengagementrings.com/, but they are for larger diamonds, and they're out of town until July 14th, so I can't ask them yet if they can make them smaller.

It's terrible to be picky! I'm a pain in my own a$$!
5.gif

-Melissa

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
You're too funny. That is a tall order, if I see anything I'll let you know. However, if you do end up going the custom route you could have your band made to sit flush most likely.

I wnat the Ritani 3 stone endless love and the band sits perfectly flush against it. I love that.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
That Ritani is a beautiful ring....It's wonderful to know exactly what you want!
1.gif
I couldn't find a picture of the matching wedding band on the site. Do you know where I could see one? (Or could you post one here?)

I personally want my wedding band to be round, not curved or notched or anything in order to sit flush, so it will only sit flush if the ering has a straight band too. But I don't mind if it isn't completely flush.

But back to my original question.....

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced jeweler who does custom antique-style work?

-Melissa

BTO

Rough_Rock
Melissa,

Have you had any luck at www.faycullen.com?

brandy

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
I haven't asked if they do custom work there, if that's what you mean. I have searched their inventory exhaustively, and while they have many settings that I like some aspect of, they don't have any that I like all around....for myself, at least.
sad.gif

The quest continues.....

-Melissa

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Imalso looking for antique style custom work. I like fay Cullen but they don't quite have what I want either.
Did you have any luck with your search?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/10/2003 12:20:20 PM dancingmelimel wrote:

Well......I am looking for something simple yet intricate, decorated yet clean. How's that for a description!
naughty.gif

Seriously, I want a thin band with some engraving and a few little diamonds.

I want the band to curve up to the stone.

I prefer four wide (but not thick) prongs, or double-prongs.

I have a round stone and do not want the setting to look squared.

From the top, I only want the diamond, prongs and band to show.....nothing inflating the size. (I have small hands and skinny fingers.)

I would like some interesting detail on the sides of the ring...I don't know what exactly, but I am picky about it.

I don't want any of the side detail to stick out too far. I will wear a round wedding band with the ring, and while I don't expect it to sit flush,
I don't want there to be large gaps in between the two rings.

I don't want the diamond to sit too high.

The setting needs to be made for a 1 carat stone.

-Melissa----------------

How about this ring? This is by Leon Mege, and it sounds somewhat like what you want.

ACtually, I know exactly what you mean.
I am in the process of having my ring made and I want almost exactly what you described, except for the engraving and diamonds.
I want a thin shank that curves up to the prongs, and tapers. I want four claw prongs that are very delicate.
I can't decide if I want pave or not, but I think not, because I want to be able to wear it with my new anniversary band and I don't think it will match.
I don't want the doughnut, round part underneath the prongs, to stick out, so that I can wear any band flush with it.
Now I am just concerned because I think he may have accidently made it thinner than I requested, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
2.gif

Leon Mege (2).jpg

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Well, to update y'all, I gave up/changed my mind about an engraved, paved setting. I did find someone I think could've done it, but when I changed the stone to a cushion cut I felt that the stone's uniqueness was enough, and I would rather keep the setting very simple. (Of course, I'm still particular about the details, though.)

Kayla, I've been using that exact Leon Mege ring as an example of several details for my setting....I am now getting a fairly thin platinum ring, (a hair over 2mm at narrowest point, probable 2.5mm at widest point,) low cathedral setting, with the band "pinched" - tapered in toward the stone....four very dainty double prongs which begin like a single prong and separate and spread higher up.....and the basket also tapering fairly sharply inward to minimize (but not eliminate) gapping between ering and wedding band. I am happy to say I have found a very very detail oriented jeweler, refered to me by my appraiser, so I have high hopes that the ring will turn out just as I wanted.

Correct me if I'm wrong Kayla, but it sounds like you and I are going to have pretty much the same setting?

Anyway, my ring should be ready on Monday, and I will post pictures as soon as I can afterward....assuming it comes out well!
rolleyes.gif
Keeping fingers crossed.
4.gif

-Melissa

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

Kayla, I've been using that exact Leon Mege ring as an example of several details for my setting....I am now getting a fairly thin platinum ring, (a hair over 2mm at narrowest point, probable 2.5mm at widest point,) low cathedral setting, with the band 'pinched' - tapered in toward the stone....four very dainty double prongs which begin like a single prong and separate and spread higher up.....and the basket also tapering fairly sharply inward to minimize (but not eliminate) gapping between ering and wedding band. I am happy to say I have found a very very detail oriented jeweler, refered to me by my appraiser, so I have high hopes that the ring will turn out just as I wanted.

Correct me if I'm wrong Kayla, but it sounds like you and I are going to have pretty much the same setting?

-Melissa----------------

This is too funny! We are going to have the same ring, except your's is a cushion cut and mine is a RB!!LOL
Your description sounds exactly like mine!!! Even down to the mm size!
I am actually having Leon Mege make the setting. Unfortunately, it is taking longer than I thought. He gave me a promise date of today(MY Birthday), but got delayed! It's been four weeks now!!!
Okay, here goes:
He is making a plain solitaire in platinum with cathedral setting, 2.5mm at the widest point and 2.2mm at the narrowest point. We originally agreed on 3mm., but he said that he prefers thinner bands and he would make it "thin and elegant". It will be tapered towards the diamond, much thinner than the way it is in the picture that I posted. The diamond itself will be basket set, with four dainty prongs that split to become claw prongs.
I also asked him to make sure that I can wear my anniversary band pretty flush with the e-ring, so he will make the doughnut as small as possible to accomplish this and make the prongs taper out so that it won't hit my wedding ring.
Yes, I can't wait to see yours. And mine!
8.gif

I miss my diamond!
Just curious, how much is your jeweler charging to make it and how long has he taken to make it?
Thanks, I hope it looks exactly like what you wanted!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results