shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion versus round cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I know some diamonds (especially fancy shapes) can appear larger than rounds. How does a cushion cut versus round cut appear? With the same carat size, would the cushion face up larger looking? Also, what about brilliance and fire? Obviously, nothing is like a well cut round, but is the cushion pretty good.....all things being equal? What kind of fancy cut diamonds appear very sparkly and larger? I have seen the pear....did not apeal to me, even though appeared bigger. Any input appreciated.

In my opinion, a round brilliant cut and a cushion cut each make completely different looking rings, so I would think more about which look you like more when deciding on a cut.

But all in all, I would also say that a round brilliant will look larger than a same carat cushion cut. It will also be sparklier.

I still love cushions more than rounds though - they are more unique.
face23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the two are entirely different types....the round is more traditional of course but also it has more of a symmetrical sparkle to it in my opinion, the cushion is more like cracked glass and chaos in the stone but it just draws you in.

i love cushions and rounds, but went with a round being more traditional for e-ring when i chose mine. however, i would love a cushion and other types of shapes later of course! can't just have one!

this thread has a lovely ring with a 2.12c cushion:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-ring-waiting-to-propose.24505/

note that the diameter of the cushion is only 7.66mm. whereas a 2.12 round brilliant well cut stone will be more around 8.3mm. so that is a huge difference visually, obviously the round is going to be much bigger in diameter, but also rounds tend to be more expensive over the fancies, so you may end up paying less for a well-cut 2.12 cushion than a 2.12c round...so maybe the diameter differences correlate somehow to cost as well? smaller cushion, less money.

so the carat weight is not always a GREAT comparison tool when it comes to fancies vs round, I tend to use diameters more for a real visual. however some will say that stones that are square and/or square round like a cushion may have more impact than a round of the same diameter, because they have more diameter going on...a square/round has edges whereas a round does not.

so really it's hard to say...you may have to see a few in person to see which look you really like AND the whole diameter/size thing.

that's it, I feel like I was rambling. best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results