shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Market Dried Up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is my venting post. As many of you know, I have been on the hunt for my perfect cushion for a very very long time. I am getting so frustrated that the stock is so limited. I have heard that many diamond cutters have stopped cutting diamonds because of the economic situation. Since the two diamonds I rejected back in January, nothing even remotely close to what I am looking for has come up. Our budget is pretty flexible too but I don''t want to go too big for daily wear.

Anyone got suggestions on where I can look? How can I expand my search? If Mark can''t find it, does it mean it''s not out there?

I am looking for a chunky faceted cushion, 1.5 to 1.8 ct, D to F, VS2 and up, as square as possible .... HELP!

emcry.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Talked to Jon?
He said in one of his vids he is having a bunch custom cut.
He may be able to arrange one to be cut for you.

cinnamongurl

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo, I feel your pain! I have been reading these forums for many months, trying to get as much information as I could on chunky cushions. Once I finally felt that I had quite a bit of information, I began my search. That started in December. I contact Mark, Whiteflash, and several local jewelers (hoping to see it in person before purchasing). No local jewelers were able to successfully find what we were looking for until recently. Mark told me right away that it is almost impossible to find a chunky cushion in my size (1.5) and price range (<9000). He said that there was one diamond cutter in NYC that cut chunky cushions to his standards, and because of the economy right now there aren''t as many goods coming in to get cut. He found 1 cushion in our size and budget, but then it was bought on his website before we were able to check it out in person.
39.gif

A local jeweler we were talking to found one in CA, from a guy that specializes in antique stones. I could find out his information if you''d like? I would also just say keep talking to Mark and see what he can find. I was still in touch with Mark to find us a 1.5...and the closest he got was a 1.3 that wasn''t exactly what we wanted.

The stone we put our deposit on yesterday is the closest we could find to being that chunky, antique cushion look that we could find. Our jeweler said that it was even cut better than the pictures I brought in for reference, but I don''t have any macro shots of the diamond to really tell if it is 100% the look I wanted. However, in person it was amazing, and I felt that this was the closest we were going to get to the look I wanted, and I didn''t know how much longer it would take to find "that perfect cushion". This one was about 98% perfect - so we went with it!

Keep looking! I just found these on Good Old Gold that look beautiful! They are extremely close to what I was hoping to find, but just over our budget. Check them out and let me know what you think!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5647/
1.44 G VS2

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5648/
1.93 G VS1

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
cinnamongurl - Thanks so much for your response. I think your diamond is gorgeous!

I actually purchased a gorgeous modern cushion from Mark (1.52 ct, G, VS1) last year and had it set. The setting wasn''t what we wanted and needed to be remade - so we decided to actually upgrade to a chunky cushion and one that is in the colorless range. I found out that I am really color sensitive and would like to stay in the D or E range if possible so the two you picked from GOG won''t work. I would also like to stay with Mark to take advantage of the upgrade policy (plus it has been great working with him) but I am getting so frustrated with how long it is taking (not his fault but just what is available). I am entertaining the idea of getting a new diamond cut if I found the right cutter / rough diamond and keeping my current diamond since I do love it still.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 9:06:10 PM
Author: strmrdr
Talked to Jon?

He said in one of his vids he is having a bunch custom cut.

He may be able to arrange one to be cut for you.
And they''re so beautiful. Well, imho.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I remember seeing a photo of one of these newly cut diamonds. Does anyone have links to more samples from GOG of these newly cut cushions?

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one for you: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5415/.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that there are none to be found - there was a 2 carat F/VS2 square chunky cushion recently posted on Rocky Talky, so I know they're out there; and some amazing ones have been filtering onto GOG's sight as well - Jon has really gone the distance to meet the demand for those cushions. There are certainly other avenues to explore. Sounds like cinnamongurl's jeweler may have a lead on the cutter in California as well. I would discuss some plan B options with Mark.

I know you're fairly set on your parameters, but if anything, perhaps you could be flexible about size and go up if need be, maybe to the 2 carat range? I agree with cinnamongurl's description about finding something that is 98% perfect. My 2% sacrifice was fire/cut in exchange for the exact spread, colour and clarity, the exact L/W ratio and style of cushion that I wanted. Had I not made that sacrifice, I'd still be waiting for my perfect stone.

cinnamongurl

Shiny_Rock
OMIGOODNESS!!!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

I wish I had $19,000 for that cushion that you posted, Pixley! That is a DREAM stone right there!! WOW!
36.gif

Keep up the search, CharmyPoo. You''ll find something. I''ll be talking to my jeweler tomorrow or Wednesday about our setting, so if you''d like, I can get the information on the guy in CA for you.

My stone was the size, spread, L/W ratio, and brilliance that I was looking for...however, the facet pattern is a little different than I imagined the stone I wanted to be, but again, that''s what makes it unique. I had to give a little, to get a stone. I honestly didn''t want to keep waiting, and let this stone go, and not know when the next one would turn up.

What happened to the G Chunky Cushion I saw posted with your name?? I thought it was very nicely cut. Maybe you could find more by that cutter?

pjsallday

Rough_Rock
I just spoke with Gary today from ERD and he said the people are having a hard time finding any antique cuts right now under 2ct. I was lucky and picked one up from him a couple of weeks ago. A little on the higher side for the price but it is beautiful it is a cross between a cushion modified and cushion brilliant. So not crushed ice just lots of big fire. Lucky enough the dimensions are that of a 1.5 and its only a 1.07. Good luck. You will probably have to pay a little extra if you can scrape one up. Here is the link to mine. here . I would check out bluenile they have a lot of chunky facets if you can get ERD to get their hands on them to check them out ahead of time.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
What about the source Pixely got her stone from? Pixely can you tell us more? Do they work with consumers...or vendors only? It seems like it might be another source for chunky cushions. Maybe Mark could call some from here in?

http://www.rachminovdiamonds.com/

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been so busy with work and haven''t had the chance to come back.

I have been exploring all the venues mentioned above with no luck. I wish I could give up on something but I can''t. The L/W is pretty much set on the square as it is a requirement from my the bf. I tried looking up to the 2 ct range and found one option that could work. I emailed about it but haven''t heard anything back.

If I don''t find anything soon, I may have to stick with my current diamond. It''s so disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results