shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion help

MusicCity

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow 'scopers!
First I'd like to say what a fantastic resource PS is! There are few communities that offer their help so selflessly to members that only visit transiently. I've learned a tremendous amount, far beyond the 4 “C’s”, from the content here. The time has come and I need your help finding a stone for my girlfriend. She’s specified that likes cushions and a halo setting. I’ve really been impressed with Victor Canera’s settings so far - I tipped my hand to my partner and she was really wowed by the Emilya with Cushion Double Edge Halo. Thanks to everything I’ve learned I can’t see buying a set stone, so I’m left with the decision to either buy a loose stone from from VC (the 10% off a setting doesn’t hurt either) or pick one from another vendor and have it set. After seeing the light performance from the both modern “vintage” cuts and the Hearts and Arrows cushions from vendors like JA, GOG, and VC I’m pretty convinced they are the route to a high performance stone. Unfortunately these proprietary cuts come with additional cost the associated with any brand. Both the antique and H&A are attractive to my eye - both my partner and I agree the modified brilliants are unattractive. I’m also not a fan of a large culit under the table if it can be avoided.
One idea I had was going to a round brilliant and having it set in a cushion halo. I think the net effect would be the same and would allow me to purchase a stone with only a GIA certificate (in lieu of AGS) from a vendor like Blue Nile and be relatively assured the cut is high quality and light performance is graded.
As far as budget I’d like to be under 10K all in. My nature is to go for quality not quantity, however, I’d hate for her to be judged on size alone. Sadly we know cushions face up smaller so I may have to sacrifice my nature to buy quality in lieu of size. If specifics on color and clarity are helpful I can provide my preferences.
Time frame on this is not terribly rushed - hopefully by the end of the year.
Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bad news. The VC double halo is going to cost nearly 10k by itself.

So. If you want a one carat cushion with that you are looking at 15k all in, or a different setting.

MusicCity

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Gypsy. The fact VC doesn't list prices for settings, even ballpark, makes it hard to plan. Just a quick search of the loose Antiques on VC's sight yielded only 1 close to $5k ($6k actually) and it is a J. I'm not sure I can drop my standards that far in color. I've heard complaints Victor's stones are overpriced. Do you think I'd be better off looking elsewhere and having Victor set it? I can always save more and get her the setting she wants, it will just take longer.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I would reach out to Victor and get a ballpark quote on the setting for a 1 carat cushion so you will have a more definite idea of what you will have left over for a diamond. He's a really nice guy. Be aware that he will not set August Vintage stones from good old gold. You can see what Victor can find you within budget. If she wants a cushion, I would stick with that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Victor can source modern generic cushions for you. Go that route first. 1 carat H or better color, eyeclean, excellent performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results