shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion diamond - light leakage? Please help

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi, what do you think about the attached cushion cut diamond? I am not good at this, but to me apart from the maltese cross facets that are reflecting light, the middle of the stone looks leaky on the pictures with the red flower. I mean I know its not an AVC or CAC, but is it perfect enough to invest into it?

I will LOVE to be wrong, please tell me what you think?

lm_cushion_1.jpg

lm_cushion_2.jpg

lm_cushion_3.jpg

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock
Sorry that I don't have an answer.
I really love how low set that setting is and I am looking for a new low set one. Do you mind telling me who makes it/where you got it? I have a pave ring and I foster many dogs in addition to my own and I feel like I can never get all the dog oil out if it and I forget to take it off during the day AND I can't ultrasonic clean it :( so gross

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
The setting was made by Leon Mege in New York. He is known for setting the diamonds low. Some love it, others are bothered. I am a fan :)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
You can't assume there's light leakage and the red is coming from behind the diamond. It could be reflected from the red parts in front of it. You need ASET images to determine what amount of leakage there is. Trying to discern it from these photos is problematic at best.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback solgen. The ring is for sale as a whole from a private party so no ASET. Perry from LM sourced the cushion. Its a 1.57 G VS1 diamond. In other pictures it looks lovely. Only these two made ma hesitate. More pics are in the Preloved section and in the user's topics from the past:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/anyone-looking-for-antique-cushion-solitaire-t217334.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/anyone-looking-for-antique-cushion-solitaire-t217334.html[/URL]

I am really keen on pulling the trigger since I find the diamond gorgeous and the price very fair. Please help me make a decision. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd buy it. But I'd negotiate a 3 day return policy. You pay return shipping. It's a hard thing to know without seeing it person.

No, I don't think the performance deficiencies are going to be material. It looks like a fantastic stone to me.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy. I really like the whole combo. The specs, the proportions/ratio, the low setting. I find the price very fair for a preloved piece and the owner agreed to an appraisal by third party of my choice if I pay the cost, so maybe I could negotiate the return policy instead and check the diamond with a loupe and see whether I like it? I guess LM would not sell a second class stone. Its not an AVC or CAC but that would cost 18K for the diamond only.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your like the look of the antique cushion and that is what you were looking for, I would pull the trigger. Beautiful stone and setting, and the other pieces match so well. Price is great too. Good luck!!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful I would go for it :love:

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
yes, I feel it... So excited!!! Now working on the trigger pulling part :appl: ... since I am based outside of US I would like to send it to an appraiser and use him like a middle man - get the stone/setting checked and then paying the money to the seller, then the appraiser shipps it to me. Is this a feasible way?

I thought about David Atlas based on recommendations, but do you have some recommendations for California or Florida?

Is there anything else I have to think about?

I need to resize it, but with this setting I think there will be no issues (max +1 size from 5.5 to 6.5, maybe only 6.25) and I guess I do that once I have the ring in Belgium...

Thanks everyone so much for the support. Newjewels is very nice to communicate too. PS is an amazing place :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous piece: both the setting and the diamond look amazing.
Good idea to have an appraiser look at it before it is shipped to Belgium.

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
DiamondXXX|1447667679|3950218 said:
yes, I feel it... So excited!!! Now working on the trigger pulling part :appl: ... since I am based outside of US I would like to send it to an appraiser and use him like a middle man - get the stone/setting checked and then paying the money to the seller, then the appraiser shipps it to me. Is this a feasible way?

I thought about David Atlas based on recommendations, but do you have some recommendations for California or Florida?

Is there anything else I have to think about?

I need to resize it, but with this setting I think there will be no issues (max +1 size from 5.5 to 6.5, maybe only 6.25) and I guess I do that once I have the ring in Belgium...

Thanks everyone so much for the support. Newjewels is very nice to communicate too. PS is an amazing place :)

I don't think the LP under the table should be something that you make the sale contingent upon. Taking an ASET of a mounted stone is difficult and often not as accurate. You certainly wouldn't want to ruin those beautiful Leon Mege claw prongs by unmounting it.

You are going to have to expect some obstruction and leakage under the table which is common to vintage style cushions even well cut ones and this looks like a pretty decent one.

Using a US appraiser seems smart given your situation. I would expect the appraiser to check for chips, structural issues, and to make sure the diamond matches the grading report etc.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with this 100%.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! I'd say go for it especially if you plan to send to an appraiser first. Please let us know how it turns out. :appl:

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I just wanted to confirm that I went for the cushion cut ring from Leon Mege :) I cannot believe it still, but its at Dave Atlas at the moment, waiting until all payments go through before it will get to me!!!

I am really excited, Newjewels was wonderful to work with on this (she must be very sad to part from the ring) and Dave Atlas was as everyone described - highly professional and fast and efficient, answered all my questions within hours and took care of all what was necessary given the distance and circumstances. I am really pleased.

I have to admit the ring is not 100% what I was planning to buy, but I always wanted to have a LM and was always worried about the diamond choice given the fact that he does not provide any images and is known for being a bit difficult. I could not resist the tiny claws and the stone is with 1.57 G/VS1 at that price level more that I could hope for. So some of the budget is left for the next purchase, yeeey :)

Will keep everyone posted once I get it...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it looks really lovely!

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, just a quick update - its here, its absolutely gorgeous and we are getting to know&love each other... I will post a separate topic later, but (as usuall :( ) the kids are not well, so here is a quick picture featuring my dirty hands and this wonderful and delicate piece of preloved PS jewelry. The process was smooth, Newjewels was great to do the transaction with, replied kindly to all my questions and Dave Atlas was just professional and responsive as everyone predicted to me he would be. Thank you everyone for the great advice :)!!! And happy holidays! I'll be back soon!!!

my_precious_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! Happy bonding! I hope the kids are feeling better really soon!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love it and the setting,looking forward to seeing more shots of it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh so beautiful. Hope the kids improve quickly! Wear it in the best of health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results