shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LoveRoundBrillants

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to know what your "ladies in waiting" opinion was....

I was curious to know how long you would like to be engaged for? Now I know every has a different situation and things come up, but ideally how long would you like to be engaged before you get hitched?

I would LOVEEEE for BF to pop the question today, but i was thinking maybe logically it wouldnt make sense. I wont be done with school until May 2009, so I would be wasting 6 or 7 months NOT planning my wedding cuz i wouldnt have time (I also work full-time).

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, interesting question. I think I''ve always kind of had a year in the back of my mind, but that''s probably just because it''s a fairly typical amount of time to be engaged. I don''t think we''ll need that much time to really plan since we''ll probably do something small but we might need lots of time to figure out where it will happen!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would like to be engaged for at least a year to a year and a half. FF once said why wait that long? So I take that as he doesn''t think we should be engaged that long. I would feel more comfortable if it were a year or so. For sure under 2 years. (I already know so much of how I want my wedding to be, I just want to be engaged for a while so I can call him my FI and ensure all my wedding plans go exactly how I want them to go.)

It all depends on WHEN he proposes. Because I want our wedding to be hopefully in July on the day we met. But you never know how that will go as far as booking venues/photographer etc. etc. I guess fall is always nice too (so long as the leaves are still on the trees but you never know about weather) If he proposed in the winter, there is NO WAY I would want to get married that summer. You see what I mean? That would be such a short engagement (6 mo!) And when I tell him these things he always tells me "Don''t worry about it!"
20.gif
I do worry too much. I guess ultimately, I should think more about it after he actually proposed because I have NO IDEA when that will happen and I think the day he proposes would give me a better idea of how long the engagement should be.

That''s right, I''m a control freak. So what?

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
I think my engagement will probably be just about a year and half. I think FF is planning on a proposal in the next three or four months. we have the bar exam this summer, which means zero planning! I''ve heard too many horror stories where brides don''t pass the bar b/c they were focused on the wedding. So, if I have to take three months off of planning from may through august, I imagine that it will be March 2010 at the earliest.
7.gif

But I like the idea of a wintery wedding, and early March is actually really good for us b/c his bday is nov, my birthday is in december, then christmas, and then our anniversary is in january, then v-day (which we don''t celebrate, but still) its already a gauntlet of gift giving in there, so it would be nice to not add another date in there.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
SO and I want to get married 7-3-10 because its the forth anniversary of the day we met. Because I know that he cant propose until at least May, since hes physically not in the country ''til then, I''ve already started looking at venues for that date since its July and the holiday weekend here in the US AND it falls on a Saturday in 2010. Because of all this our engagement period has become somewhat irrelevant - just time to tell family and friends and to make it official that we''re getting hitched. But, I''d like to enjoy about a years worth of time just being engaged. I think that if we were to get engaged before he left the country a couple months ago I''d feel impatient by the time 2010 rolled around.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
About a year. In my neck of the woods that seems pretty typical (actually, if not on the short side) and definitely do-able. We are thinking December 09, so....any day now!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
About a year and a half. if he proposed sometime soon(!
29.gif
!) it would be a little less than 2 years. I want to be done with school and be set in a good job before I start planning a wedding.

But who knows. At this rate...let me not get started >

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think it''s better to have at least a year together engaged. It gives you time to make plans for financial situations, and if you haven''t lived together before, it gives you the chance to do so and see how that will work.

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like at least a year, but it may be longer than that. I don''t really care, it all depends on what seems most realistic for us. ideally i''d like to get married between may and october of 2010.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve asked for at least a year to plan the wedding and I don''t have the guts to start booking things before he actually proposes! we are planning to get married in June 2010 so if he pops the question anytime in the next 8 months i will be happy! I''m a planner and I am nit-picky about every little detail...so i want to make sure i have enough time to 1) get the venue i want, and 2) plan the prettiest, most romantic wedding ever!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Ideally, 1-2 years, 1 if I have nothing else to do but plan, 2 if I''m busy. Looks like it might be more like 3, though (I''m REAL busy)... oh well! I''m here to enjoy the ride!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like one year EXACTLY.

Unfortunately (kind of?) I have... get this... THREE YEARS. We haven''t even been together for a complete three years. Our engagement will be longer than our relationship has been to-date.
20.gif

But there are reasons for it... I want to be out of law school, employed (hopefully), and done w. the bar exam. It will give me plenty of time to save & plan the out-of-state wedding, too, so I guess I can''t gripe
5.gif

I just keep telling myself how sweet it is that he wanted to propose the first moment he possibly could.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 1:04:10 AM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom

But there are reasons for it... I want to be out of law school, employed (hopefully), and done w. the bar exam. It will give me plenty of time to save & plan the out-of-state wedding, too, so I guess I can''t gripe
5.gif
You can definitely plan your wedding in law school! Believe me, your life will be much crazier after. Savor the flexible schedule and reasonable school hours (I''m definitely not saying study hours are reasonable in law school). You will miss it--a lot--once you''re employed as an attorney. Nine-to-five lawyer jobs don''t seem to exist these days, even in the public sector.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 11:40:52 AM
Author:LoveRoundBrillants
Just wanted to know what your ''ladies in waiting'' opinion was....

I was curious to know how long you would like to be engaged for? Now I know every has a different situation and things come up, but ideally how long would you like to be engaged before you get hitched?

I would LOVEEEE for BF to pop the question today, but i was thinking maybe logically it wouldnt make sense. I wont be done with school until May 2009, so I would be wasting 6 or 7 months NOT planning my wedding cuz i wouldnt have time (I also work full-time).

I''m cool with waiting for 1-2 years, or even longer. We aren''t rushed because we know we''ll be together no matter what- married or not.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ideally, 12-18 months (Vegas). But real life is not ideal. I imagine he'll propose before June 1, 2009 (he'd better!). And I'm guessing that we'll get married in 2010. October 2010 would be perfect.

However, because life is real and not ideal, it all could be pushed up on account of my mom being sick. I could plan a wedding in a month if I need to (Vegas) but I would prefer having at least 6 months(still Vegas) to enjoy being a FI and getting my ducks in a row.

Also, he has a perfect opportunity to propose coming up in just over a month. A trip(Vegas) right before Christmas. But he probably won't take it.

And one more (Vegas) for the road.
2.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''d like a year and a half because the location of our wedding (Newport, RI area) will book up fast and FF knows this. Trouble is now I am envisioning a May 2010 wedding and he is thinking October 2010. So we''ll see how much time we have.

If I knew that I could a) plan a wedding while finishing the PhD and b) have my ideal wedding planned in less than 6 months I would hope for a wedding next year so that would put us at well under a year.

ringless

Shiny_Rock
I think if I was to be engaged by the end of this year, then I would want to be married April 2010, so a little over a year to plan. I''ve been with him for 7 + years...

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:44:56 PM
Author: sammyj
I''ve asked for at least a year to plan the wedding and I don''t have the guts to start booking things before he actually proposes! we are planning to get married in June 2010 so if he pops the question anytime in the next 8 months i will be happy! I''m a planner and I am nit-picky about every little detail...so i want to make sure i have enough time to 1) get the venue i want, and 2) plan the prettiest, most romantic wedding ever!
Same for me, except I want to get married in May 2010. I''m pretty confident that he''ll propose before mid-March 2009...so that gives me about a year and 2 months and I also don''t want to plan until I''m engaged. I also gave him a wake-up call by telling him that the venue we want (based on the website) is extremely popular so we''ll need more than a year to book it, and considering that we haven''t even started visiting venues, a year may not be enough....he''s going to be groom-zilla and I can already see him being overly involved so each decision is going to take more and more time than it does for the typical brides who get to have "their" day. Know what I mean?

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
10 months to a year MAX for me!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think a year would be ideal for me. But I want to get married when the weather is somewhat warm and their are leaves on trees, so I am willing to move things around to accomidate that.

i_heart_cushions

Shiny_Rock
What I want and what is feasible are two different things.

Seeing as I ''ve already starting planning for it, I''d want to be married within the first 6-8 months (no more than the 1 year mark of the proposal )- but seeing as I have a large family and most likely will have a large wedding, we probably will need to wait a bit longer to give us more time to save up for it. So probably the 1 year mark is about right for us....

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 1:18:10 AM
Author: kittybean
Date: 11/7/2008 1:04:10 AM

Author: PilsnPinkysMom

5.gif

You can definitely plan your wedding in law school! Believe me, your life will be much crazier after. Savor the flexible schedule and reasonable school hours (I''m definitely not saying study hours are reasonable in law school). You will miss it--a lot--once you''re employed as an attorney. Nine-to-five lawyer jobs don''t seem to exist these days, even in the public sector.

Kittybean: I''m guessing you''ve been through law school & are now employed?? I would LOVE*LOVE*LOVE your advice, then! I hate to postpone the wedding but I''m f-l-a-t broke. (like, $200 to last me til Dec 27th when I get my next loan refund!!) FI is a pharmacist, and so has a good, steady income... but I want to match his monetary contributions. Even if I find paid employment this summer (eek), that money will go towards tuition & such. I don''t want to have to be ultra-frugal while planning a wedding... It''ll likely be a 200 person affair, and I want a prettty venue, and a nice, big cake
22.gif

We''d also like a winter or fall wedding, and a week-or-so honeymoon afterwards. I just feel like that''d be impossible while in school...It seems that i''d be stuck with a summer wedding in Ohio. Yuck. And planning while in class?! Oy! You really think that planning post-graduation will be more difficult?

Sorry if I seem whiney
20.gif
I''m frustrated with the whole situation. I need money for a wedding. I need time to plan. I want a fall/winter date. It seems like there will be no good time to exchange vows.... Except for, maybe, five years from now.

Last week I considered dropping out of law school and getting my teaching license
2.gif
(end-of-the-semester-meltdown) which seems to remedy this whole wedding situation... but unfortunately, I DO think I want a legal-related career. So alas. I must figure this wedding nonsense out.

Sorry for the ramble/hijack- but if you have ANY insight, let it loose! Thx
9.gif

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
A year to a year and 2 months ( depending on when he proposes).. I am envisioning a Feb 2010 wedding date, also it will give me time to earn and pay it all off. I''m estimating the cost of my wedding in total to be $30,000 AUD max. However I know my SO''s parents will contribute $10,000 towards that, and so me and SO would each put $10,000 in, and my mum ( sole parent) say''s she will give money towards deposit on home as a gift.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I want 6 months. MAX 8 months.

We''ll hit four years in January. We won''t get engaged for another few years. I plan on running away to some resort with SO, our parents, and just a few friends, and I''m really not into a huge amount of planning (I''m a bit of a control freak and could turn very bridezilla). Ideally, I''d call someplace and just show up.

So yeah. Once we''re engaged, I just want to freaking get married already.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
About 1-2 years. That''s about how long it takes to plan a wedding and find a nice place (most pple buy cos it''s cheaper) in my country.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
1-2 years for a number of reasons. School loans for one and planning takes awhile. Plus I would love to just enjoy the engaged moment. You spend alot of time as a BF/GF and then your engaged then some people want to get married right away. I would love to just enjoy that time before I am forever a spouse!

but however it happens I will be happy!
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results