shape
carat
color
clarity

Culet help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Étoile

Rough_Rock
I just recently purchased a diamond (.81 ct., E, VS1, AGS 0) and had a question on the culet. On my GIA Dossier report, culet is listed as "none." However, on my SARIN report, it is listed as 1.1% (0.06 mm). Should I be concerned about this? When I look into the diamond very closely, in certain lighting conditions, it looks like there is a small hole in the center of the diamond, which I understood as being only noticeable with diamonds with large culets. Could this be because it is mounted and the platinum setting that is coming through the bottom facet is creating this optical illusion. When it is under other light, no hole-like appearance is visible. Is what I am looking at common on all diamonds and should I trust that my GIA report is accurate? Should I be concerned about this?Thanks,
AT

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi AT,If you are able to see the culet as a small hole with the naked eye then it is definitly not "NONE".However, 1% culet is "Medium" which is acceptable for AGS0 grade.If you're concerned whether the diamond is as represented on GIA report you should ask independent appraiser.On the other hand, GIA grader can make mistakes too.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have seen "none" many times where there is indeed, "some". A small or medium culet is just as good as "none". Don't be overly concerned about this discrepancy.A sarin many times sees a culet where there is actually none. A GIA grader or other grader may see none or nearly none and put "small". It is a point of discussion, but ought not be a deal breaker.The same kind of nonsense happens with UV fluorescence strength comments. Many times a stone that has slight or medium UV fluorescence is graded as "none". It is the method of grading we are told. Sometimes it just looks like sloppy grading or a poor system. In the end, it means next to nothing anyway. However, UV fluorescence is far more readily observed by customers and to say "none" when it clearly is not the case makes many folks suspect all the rest of the accuracy involved in the Cert. Cant' say I really blame them, either.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results