shape
carat
color
clarity

Culet Condition Descriptions in Gary Roskin''s book

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary Roskin''s book gives culet ''condition'' descriptions as:

natural
abraded
chipped
A combination of the above

My question is what does ''natural'' mean?

Could one of the experts here comment please. Thank you in advance.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought - does 'natural' as a description for the condition of a culet mean the same as 'natural on a girdle' or does it mean polished or does it mean something else?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pyramid

You need to take the diamond course so you can have all the answers, or at least most of them.

A natural is a place on a faceted diamond that still has a small portion of the skin of the rough crystal left on. These are often left on by the cutter to show the owner or boss that you have cut the largest diamond possible from the rough. Sometimes you might find four naturals on the girdle of the diamond that has been cut from an octahedron. If they are small and are confined to the girdle, they are not a problem. If they are indented or extend into the crown, they start subtracting from the quality of the cut and symmetry. They are marked in green with an N on the diamond grading report.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Dimonbob, I knew that. I was just wondering about how the term natural was being used when describing CULET CONDITION in Gary Roskin's book and if it was the same thing or did it mean polished or something.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking about doing a diamond course.
loopy.gif

If this is the same type of natural is it not a bit silly to leave it right in the centre of the diamond as proof that they cut the stone to maximise the weight?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It might be silly but some of these cutters work for some real jerks. If the jerk-boss wants to see naturals, you give them to him. He owns the diamond and he writes the pay check. It is his problem to sell the diamond with the natural on the culet. You should meet some of these guys. They have a real attitude problem.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again Dimondbob. So the natural is the same type of natural when used under condition of culet? Not sure if you read the first part of my question.

quoted from the G Roskin book:
natural
abraded
chipped
a combination of all of these

I thought it may mean polished. Funny none of the stones had naturals on the girdles but 3 out of 4 of the stones I saw may have had this on the culet? I will have to ask the jeweller again.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, a natural is a natural no matter where on the diamond it is.
One interesting thing about naturals. Often under magnification a natural will have trigons, sometimes trigons within trigons. A trigon is a triangular depression in the natural.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw no trigons. I am wondering if they just didn't finish of the culet as 3 out of 4 diamonds were the same.

When there is a white dot where the culet is supposed to be it states in the Gary Roskin book that there is no culet? Would this be because the culet area has been left open and a facet has not been polished on it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it is a small pinpoint I am seeing. Would this be in all three diamonds though. Are pinpoints common in the culet area of a diamond for any reason?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results