shape
carat
color
clarity

Covid self care?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people I know are coming down with covid. Does anyone know the latest do's and don'ts of self care, if one of my family members should fall sick? Beyond isolating from the rest of us that is. Are steaming and hot showers a good idea? What about painkillers, cold meds etc? I'm keen to know the best self care for this d@mn thing.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lot of people I know are coming down with covid. Does anyone know the latest do's and don'ts of self care, if one of my family members should fall sick? Beyond isolating from the rest of us that is. Are steaming and hot showers a good idea? What about painkillers, cold meds etc? I'm keen to know the best self care for this d@mn thing.
Yes, it's rampant at the moment even if people still wear masks inside stores here in the UK.

Myself and hubby have been through Omicron recently. It was like the flu for us and as usual hubby was a bit worse than me.

I did not isolate from my hubby at all, I cared for him and fell ill 3 days apart but also recovered first.
Maybe it's a good idea to keep away so you're not all sick at the same time?

We were never bedridden and did lots of light chores around the house while being sick. I mean I did, he took lots of naps.
We took only Ibuprofen and Paracetamol under the advice of a doctor who specified how much and when to stop. No cold meds, just Strepsils for the sore throat.
Hot showers worked great and they helped with the congested nose and leaving the heat on during the night helped with congestion, A LOT.

Disclaimer: The above is not meant to constitute medical advice of any sort, it's just our personal experience.
Some people cannot take Aspirin or Ibuprofen because they have Asthma or other ilnesses like liver disease etc so don't copy me, I only know what works for myself. Talk to your doctor about what you can take and when.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had it at the beginning of March 2022, I took my usual medications for symptoms for cold and flu that I always have to hand: a cold medicine for dry cough; pain killers and medication to ease my blocked and/or runny nose.

When I discovered I had lost some of my sense of taste and smell on Day 3 of tested positive via LFT, I started to sniff pots of my strong smelling spices like garlic, Chinese 5-spice, cumin, cinnamon etc., and found it helped with regaining my senses back.

Whether that would work with anyone else I cannot comment.

DK :))

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I just sleep a lot, made rice porridge and ate that for a few days and then hot and sour soup. I've lost my sense of taste but that's hasn't stopped me from eating. I think my mind is like, maybe THIS will taste good...

I do force myself to drink a lot more. I didn't take any medication. But I don't usually ever take anything for colds and flus anyway (or for child birth or after surgery care).

I've opened all the windows, turned fans on facing out and have been eating altoids. I'm on day 6, still positive but feel okay except for cough and fatigue. No one else tested positive in my household. And we live in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just sleep a lot, made rice porridge and ate that for a few days and then hot and sour soup. I've lost my sense of taste but that's hasn't stopped me from eating. I think my mind is like, maybe THIS will taste good...

I do force myself to drink a lot more. I didn't take any medication. But I don't usually ever take anything for colds and flus anyway (or for child birth or after surgery care).

I've opened all the windows, turned fans on facing out and have been eating altoids. I'm on day 6, still positive but feel okay except for cough and fatigue. No one else tested positive in my household. And we live in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn.

I hope you get better soon!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on a flight to Portland Oregon and maybe 1/6 of the passengers have on masks.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
A friend is really sick with it right now, and she's been steaming. Says it's helping clear the congestion. On a related note, all her family got sick from her elderly patents that went to a Masons meeting for the first time in 2 years. They got together over Easter. Her parents are not expected to survive.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend is really sick with it right now, and she's been steaming. Says it's helping clear the congestion. On a related note, all her family got sick from her elderly patents that went to a Masons meeting for the first time in 2 years. They got together over Easter. Her parents are not expected to survive.

That’s so sad @Begonia..I hope her parents rally and get better. How old are they?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That’s so sad @Begonia..I hope her parents rally and get better. How old are they?

Isn't it awful? Early 80's.
They've tried antivirals but they both have comorbidities. Not the way I want to go out at the end of my life...on a ventilator. Not the way I want to go out at any age. I saw my mom struggle to breathe in the last weeks of her life, and it was terrifying.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't it awful? Early 80's.
They've tried antivirals but they both have comorbidities. Not the way I want to go out at the end of my life...on a ventilator. Not the way I want to go out at any age. I saw my mom struggle to breathe in the last weeks of her life, and it was terrifying.

It’s really awful..Are they vaccinated?
I’m so sorry about your mom @Begonia

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
It’s really awful..Are they vaccinated?
I’m so sorry about your mom @Begonia

Yes, these folks have had both Vax and 2 boosters. Comorbidites and age, altho it can take anyone really.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My mom died of lymphoma, but tumors in her neck made it difficult to breathe. Thank you tho, I appreciate your kindness!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, these folks have had both Vax and 2 boosters. Comorbidites and age, altho it can take anyone really.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My mom died of lymphoma, but tumors in her neck made it difficult to breathe. Thank you tho, I appreciate your kindness!

I just couldn’t hit the like button for this @Begonia. I just had to say I’m sorry again. Big hugs..

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Jesus! That is so terrible, I hope they make it.

I've been eyeing the smart watch all the time while sick and oxygen and lungs were not a problem with Omicron - that was my experience.

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of my sons had covid two months apart. For my youngest son (16) we had him rest for a few days, then he was fine. My oldest son (27) had a more serious case of covid. We had to start his steroid and rescue inhalers right away as he was getting winded just walking across his house. He also took mucinex. It took him about 10 days to make a full recovery

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my 36 year old son and his family had covid in January, he had just got his booster in december, he wasnt horribly sick and he just too over the counter meds as the rest of his family did, however my son is now dealing with long haulers covid, he has been to the doctors twice since January he is dealing with fatigue and upset stomach, he has lost weight, he is trying to train for a 13 mile marathon but hasnt been able to :(

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 36 year old son and his family had covid in January, he had just got his booster in december, he wasnt horribly sick and he just too over the counter meds as the rest of his family did, however my son is now dealing with long haulers covid, he has been to the doctors twice since January he is dealing with fatigue and upset stomach, he has lost weight, he is trying to train for a 13 mile marathon but hasnt been able to :(

@diamondringlover I’m sorry to hear your son is still dealing with fatigue, etc. My son also had Covid..It was Delta because that was what was going around at the time. His oxygen level got to 76..I think..It was a while ago…He should have been in the hospital but he was terrified about getting intubated. He eventually got better..He was a marathon runner..but he also couldn’t walk across a room without getting winded. He developed what he thought were panic attacks because he couldn’t catch his breath. He would panic..
He wound up in urgent care because he couldn’t catch his breath. It would come out of nowhere. The doctor gave him a breathing treatment and an inhaler to take home because he felt something else was going on. After using the inhaler a few times he started coughing up stuff from his lungs..dried blood, etc. Then it stopped..He didn’t have any other problems being winded or panic attacks. We feel there were remnants of whatever happened to his lungs during his Covid infection. He’s fine now. It may be something to check out. I hope your son feels better soon.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm almost 4 months from when I got sick. Still have long COVID. This is actually my second infection and got my booster 6 weeks before infection.

Sleep. As much sleep as possible. I definitely feel worse on days I get less sleep.

Absolutely no exercise. Don't even think about it until you feel better. Then very slowly introduce it back.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm almost 4 months from when I got sick. Still have long COVID. This is actually my second infection and got my booster 6 weeks before infection.

Sleep. As much sleep as possible. I definitely feel worse on days I get less sleep.

Absolutely no exercise. Don't even think about it until you feel better. Then very slowly introduce it back.
Sorry to hear you got long covid, with all the effort of getting vaxxed and boosted, it sux.

I got infected once and hope not to get long covid if I get it again.

I was reading at some point about fasting (for 5-7 days) or intermittent fasting in order to get rid of these long covid symptoms. It is said to work for some as it makes the body go into ketosis and also lose a lot of damaged cells that did not self destructs through apoptosis like they should.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results