shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you love a robot dog?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sony has a sophisticated robot dog named the aibo. I think it's very cute, and a good solution for people who can't have real pets but would like a petlike experience. In Japan, the Aibo's home market, many apt buildings don't allow pets, and also people work long hours.

This is a good unboxing video:

Photo of the dog:

Aibo.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would YOU welcome an aibo into your home and heart? (I wanted to put this sentence after the aibo photo, but the edit wouldn't work.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! Today's pet rock. :knockout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would like it but a part of me is tactile, so the soft fur and warmth makes a big difference to me.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! Today's pet rock. :knockout:

Awww, poor robot! Did you watch the video? He/she is pretty cute! Somewhere on YT there's a video where the robot dog was taken into a senior day center, and they loved it!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is Spot, a very clever robot dog from a company named Boston Dynamics. Is this any better, Kenny? :lol-2:

Spot.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would like it but a part of me is tactile, so the soft fur and warmth makes a big difference to me.

When I was researching this concept of robotic pets after I saw an aibo ad, I came across another intriguing concept named the uncanny valley. You probably know the term. It refers to a situation where a robot is TOO close to the real thing for comfort. Apparently, in tests with humanoid robots, if they were too lifelike, participants had the urge to do away with them, violently. :lol-2:

I wonder if the makers thought that fur would be too much? I think this little robot is meant to look like a cartoon.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing robots: Omg, this is SO clever!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love in the unboxing video when the guy goes, "This is weird! This is good?" :lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t get with this. Cuddling a robot dog just wouldn’t feel the same as the real thing.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No..I couldn’t love it. I do have a very soft furry pillow that I pet when I’m watching tv..haha

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say “no” but I have a history of anthropomorphizing all sorts of things. My bicycle had a name and preferences. I watered the smallest boulder in the garden wall - it was the runt rock and it needed a little extra care when it got hot. I had too many imaginary friends for anyone else to keep track of. I’m confident that as an adult I couldn’t “love” a robot, but as a child I’d probably have emotionally attached within seconds of meeting the thing...

Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mamabee! :lol-2:

Hey, you could trace a face in its fur, and then it would really be a pillow-pet! Do it, lol!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m confident that as an adult I couldn’t “love” a robot,

Are you sure about that......? It's very cute!

Watered the runt rock, LOL! Was it a boy rock or a girl rock? :lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, I am literally laughing out loud, that is too funny. I couldn’t have a furry pillow, my little dog would probably do naughty things to it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mamabee! :lol-2:

Hey, you could trace a face in its fur, and then it would really be a pillow-pet! Do it, lol!

@Jambalaya You can see that I kind of pet it in a circle..It has the start of a face already! :lol:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, I see it now! Too funny!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Conditioning is so odd and funny sometimes!!

We bought a stuffed lion for a friend’s baby at Toys R Us, and I kept catching myself scritching it behind the ear as I walked. Gave it to the other half for a bit and he started doing the same thing!! We’re both just conditioned to do that when carrying something about that size and furry :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @yssie I am great at anthropomorphizing so initially my gut feeling was yes, I could love a robot dog.

I, too, name my cars, bikes, inanimate figures along our bike route and when I was little my stuffed animals. So my final (until I am in that situation and know for sure) answer is maybe. I wouldn't know for sure until I got a robot dog which I have no intention of purchasing.

Instead I want a real dog pretty please. Working on my DH. :)

As for the live and real dog I want to adopt he/she would have to be a rescue dog and not too big so we can fit him/her in the car with our four cats. Just saying. 8)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"MrsBlue ate cookies and complained about the economy. Again."

Haha I feel you.
Here you go...someone to make you smile and go awww.

American_Staffordshire_Terrier_SERP.jpg

How can anyone say no to this baby? My DH has a heart of stone. ;(

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Haha I feel you.
Here you go...someone to make you smile and go awww.

American_Staffordshire_Terrier_SERP.jpg

How can anyone say no to this baby? My DH has a heart of stone. ;(

Squeeeee!!!! Spotty puppies make my heart go pitter pat!!

I bet your dh is a total marshmallow.
Probably afraid of falling head over heels in love. Again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squeeeee!!!! Spotty puppies make my heart go pitter pat!!

I bet your dh is a total marshmallow.
Probably afraid of falling head over heels in love. Again.

Me too :kiss2: my heart beats so fast for these sweet pups ❤️

Truth be told my DH would “let” me get a dog but I know his reasons are good ones for not adopting one right now. I begrudgingly give him credit for being the adult in our relationship. Occasionally he is right. Not most of the time but in this case ok. For now.

Stay tuned.
:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results