shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you explain to me the process of buying a dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,

Could somebody explain to me the process of buying a dress? I''ve made some appointments and will be getting a dress soon (I hope) but after reading various posts on PS and other forums I''m getting the impression that receiving a dress isn''t as simple as one would think. Is it really the case that it can take months to get the dress after you''ve ordered it? And that it might still be the wrong size? Also, my MIL will have to send the dress to me as I don''t live anywhere near the store. Do they allow someone else to pick it up for you? And what if it arrives in the wrong size? Would you advise me to pick it up myself?

Sorry for all the questions...

Signed,
Confused

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Given that I was strung out on srs painkillers when I bought my dress, I''ll tell you what I know about dresses in general.

My dress was purchased in November, ordered in January (b/c it had a beaded hem that needed to be exactly right and I was on crutches in Nov), and will come in ... June. I think. Again, painkillers.

My mom has ordered a few fancy dresses and had them shipped to her. The store can do it directly. When my dress is done, the salon will release it to my mom, who will drive it down. I would not open the box until you get to the tailor, so that there can be a witness if stuff goes wrong. If someone is sending the dress to you, they''ll have to check it to make sure it''s the right size, style, color, etc., I think, and sign a liability release form.

Hope this helps somewhat!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, shertz81. I was wondering, is it easy for someone else to check that the dress is the right size, maybe by checking the tag or checking with the store? Or is it the case that you can only tell by trying it on?

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it can take several months for bridal dresses. I was told 6 - 7 months when I placed my order, but my dress arrived in 4 months time. I wouldn''t go into it thinking negatively about the size being wrong. Just make sure that the consultant who takes your measurements shows you the chart for their dresses so you can see with your own eyes what size your measurements correspond to. When my dress came in, my consultant also checked the size and made sure that the dress was the way it should be before I went in to look at it. The dress still needed to be altered because it was too big, but the size was what the chart said she should order. (Personally, I think those sizes are a scam to get people to pay for a certain amount of alterations. And unless you know someone who''s ordered a dress from the company you plan to, there''s no way of knowing how true the size will be. Anyway, that''s for another post altogether).

FYI, also keep in mind any accessories you will need. If you don''t order them at the same time as the dress, they likely are not going to be automatic deliveries. My veil and blusher took 2 months and my satin wedding band is still not in after 2 months.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 1:46:46 PM
Author:mayerling
Hi ladies,

Could somebody explain to me the process of buying a dress? I''ve made some appointments and will be getting a dress soon (I hope) but after reading various posts on PS and other forums I''m getting the impression that receiving a dress isn''t as simple as one would think. Is it really the case that it can take months to get the dress after you''ve ordered it? And that it might still be the wrong size? Also, my MIL will have to send the dress to me as I don''t live anywhere near the store. Do they allow someone else to pick it up for you? And what if it arrives in the wrong size? Would you advise me to pick it up myself?

Sorry for all the questions...

Signed,
Confused
Hi mayerling! If you are buying a non-sample dress from a traditional salon, then you will indeed have to wait for a few months after picking out the dress. The stores simply can''t keep an endless surplus of dresses in a range of sizes in their store. After you pick the style you like, they will measure you and order the dress to fit the largest size measurement. This means if you''re especially busty, the dress will likely be too big in the hips. If you''re a bit pear shaped, it will be too big in the bust. This is why you will likely need additional alterations once your size arrives. You should be shown your measurements and how they match up with the manufacturer''s size chart, and will sign off and get a record of what size dress you ordered.

I would imagine you could give the store approval for your FMIL to pick up the dress, however, you may have more trouble resolving any problems that arise if you''ve signed for the dress and paid for it in full before taking it away. If it were me, I would want to try it on at the store just on the off chance there would be something wrong with it, so I could refuse to pay the the balance and demand they resolve it somehow.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies, ladies. It''s definitely cleared things up for me. One more question: do you think it would be possible for the store to hold the dress after it arrives until the next time I''m there (which might be a few months later) which would give me a chance to try it on in person, or do they want you to pick it up straight away?

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My process:

Drive downtown with my fiance. He drops me off on small street with three bridal stores (all owned by same company, but one is high-end, one is main store, one is discount/clearance). He sees a green dress in the window of the main store and says "oh, I really like that one!". I start to consider buying a green dress.

Fiance goes shopping at mall. I go into first (main) store. Without an appointment (this is not generally recommended but in some places you can get away with it). Lovely girl comes up and asks me what I am looking for. I tell her I need a wedding dress. Not necessarily white, maybe even green. And I am getting married in less than two months. No poof, no train, something that I can carry on the plane.

Lovely girl says "alright, well, you'll probably fit into one of our size 6/8 samples (I also learned at this time that sizes in wedding dresses tend to be a little different - I wear a size 4 in regular clothing) so that will work. There definitely would not be time to order one. Here are some marking pins, take a look through and see what you find".

I am overwhelmed. I cannot tell how the dress will look if it is on and rule out a bunch based on how they look hanging in plastic garment bag. Keep in mind I have never been one to peruse the latest bridal styles and magazines. I manage to find three dresses to try on. I sort of like one. Lovely girl brings me three more. None seem to fit my style on the hangers. I try them on anyway. Second dress of hers (fifth in total), which I thought I would not like at all, I try on felt absolutely right and looked stunning. She sets it aside for me as I go to the two other stores and keep comparing to THAT dress. Even ones that were way over my budget (I had no desire to buy one that cost that much so did not mind trying them on and tempting myself).

Go back, put deposit down on dress (half of price). Sign a purchase agreement contract deal and note if anyone else is allowed to pick up dress - mark down my fiance. Am allowed to take home a picture of the dress that was in the garment bag. Show it to my fiance. He says "wow, it really is a white dress!". A week later I go for first fitting. All it needs is hemming. Pay balance. Sign another form saying it is my fault if the dress does not fit due to weight gain, pregnancy, etc. Month later go for my second fitting. Fits perfectly. Pay for alterations. Ask if they would like anyone to come along to learn how to tie up back. Say no as I don't live in same city as anyone coming to wedding except my fiance. Sign that form again. Two days before leave for wedding pick up dress - it is all cleaned, steamed and bundled up in a garment bag. Sign another form. I swear I had to sign more forms than I ever did when I bought a house, car, etc. Fiance tries to peek at dress. I tell him it looks like the picture and he can see it on the wedding day :)

Okay, that was way long, but I will also way it was way easier than I imagined it would be.

Your results may vary particularly if you need to ORDER a dress, do not fit into their samples and have to guess how it might appear in the correct size, or have an entourage accompanying you to do the shopping.

I do advise that you stick to trying on dresses in your budget, and that you really do let the saleswomen/men do their job - they really do have a knack for finding dresses that will "work" for you. And you really should make sure to go for fittings, as there will most likely need to be alterations made unless you fit right into the manufacturers measurements. Wedding dresses fit very different than "standard" dresses. Someone else will be able to pick it up, you just have to designate them and they will need ID or something. I would definitely recommend you try on the "final product" before picking it up though, unless you are taking it to an off site seamstress to do the alterations.

ETA: Oh...and bring undergarments (bra and undies) that you both don't mind people seeing you in and that might suit the kind of dress (i.e. bring a strapless bra and a regular one) or else they might give you their dingy bras to use while trying on their dresses which many people have put on before you....

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 2:50:36 PM
Author: mayerling
Thanks for the replies, ladies. It''s definitely cleared things up for me. One more question: do you think it would be possible for the store to hold the dress after it arrives until the next time I''m there (which might be a few months later) which would give me a chance to try it on in person, or do they want you to pick it up straight away?

They will ask you when you need it for and place the order in line with that date.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
"And you really should make sure to go for fittings, as there will most likely need to be alterations made unless you fit right into the manufacturers measurements. Wedding dresses fit very different than "standard" dresses. Someone else will be able to pick it up, you just have to designate them and they will need ID or something. I would definitely recommend you try on the "final product" before picking it up though."

Thanks for the reply RaiKai. I'd love to be able to try it on as many times as it takes but, unfortunately, I want to buy the dress from the US (where I've discovered is much cheaper) but I live in the UK. And multiple trips for the fittings would defeat the purpose of buying from the US. As for alterations, I'll just get them done here. I hope I'm as lucky as you, though, and I can just get something in my size when I first try it on. I actually have hope about this, because I have my eye on an Alfred Angelo and I've got an appointment at an Alfred Angelo Store. Hopefully, they'll have one in my size to try on.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, that makes sense. I would try and get your dress as soon as they can get it in then, have someone pick it up and ship it to you so that you have plenty of time in advance to get it altered if required by a local seamstress (find one who has done wedding dresses before...usually if you go onto wedding forums/boards they usually have local boards that can help you in this area!).

You may find that a sample size fits PERFECT and you will need very few alterations of that one or one that gets ordered in in that size, but you likely will have to do a few (i.e. often there are adjustments to bust, etc) or you may find you want them to make some changes to the neckline, once you get it in your actual size.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for all the info. I feel better now that I know what to expect.
1.gif

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 2:12:00 PM
Thanks for the info, shertz81. I was wondering, is it easy for someone else to check that the dress is the right size, maybe by checking the tag or checking with the store? Or is it the case that you can only tell by trying it on?

Have a list -- this is the style #, this is the color, this is the size ... so she can check off the characteristics.

As far as sizing goes, this is my one worry: say you order a 10. Your dress is marked as a 10. But the dress fits like an 8. It could happen...but a good tailor will be able to adjust by one size with no problem.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 3:33:36 PM
Author: shertz1981
Date: 3/23/2010 2:12:00 PM

Have a list -- this is the style #, this is the color, this is the size ... so she can check off the characteristics.

As far as sizing goes, this is my one worry: say you order a 10. Your dress is marked as a 10. But the dress fits like an 8. It could happen...but a good tailor will be able to adjust by one size with no problem.

oops! sorry about the empty post.

Funny you should mention this, I''ve been trying to locate this dress: http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=75db7766-9490-46e0-9ceb-44f26a8c5f7f&categoryID=54246401-6ad2-4745-894e-d0dc006d72c8&pg=1&colorId1=

I checked with the Alfred Angelo Store I have the appointment with and they don''t have it. I checked with a different boutique and they don''t have it either. I''m beginning to give up on it as it doesn''t look I''ll be able to locate it within the one week I''ll be in the US.
8.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 3:49:27 PM

Funny you should mention this, I've been trying to locate this dress: http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=75db7766-9490-46e0-9ceb-44f26a8c5f7f&categoryID=54246401-6ad2-4745-894e-d0dc006d72c8&pg=1&colorId1=

I checked with the Alfred Angelo Store I have the appointment with and they don't have it. I checked with a different boutique and they don't have it either. I'm beginning to give up on it as it doesn't look I'll be able to locate it within the one week I'll be in the US.
8.gif

If you can try on other similarly-styled Alfred Angelo dresses and get a pretty good idea of what size you are in that brand, you could try to buy the dress on a pre-owned site or other discount gown seller. Just google the style number and see what comes up. Here's one that's pre-owned (no idea if it's your size): http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/14142/Alfred-Angelo-803-Size-4.html

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 5:26:50 PM
Author: havernell
Date: 3/23/2010 3:49:27 PM

Funny you should mention this, I've been trying to locate this dress: http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=75db7766-9490-46e0-9ceb-44f26a8c5f7f&categoryID=54246401-6ad2-4745-894e-d0dc006d72c8&pg=1&colorId1=

I checked with the Alfred Angelo Store I have the appointment with and they don't have it. I checked with a different boutique and they don't have it either. I'm beginning to give up on it as it doesn't look I'll be able to locate it within the one week I'll be in the US.
8.gif

If you can try on other similarly-styled Alfred Angelo dresses and get a pretty good idea of what size you are in that brand, you could try to buy the dress on a pre-owned site or other discount gown seller. Just google the style number and see what comes up. Here's one that's pre-owned (no idea if it's your size): http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/14142/Alfred-Angelo-803-Size-4.html

Thanks for checking this, havernell. I actually found that ad for the dress myself yesterday. Unfortunately I don't know my size though. I've only been to one bridal boutique in the UK and they didn't measure me (and US sizes are different anyway). It's a pity because that price is a steal
31.gif

I've thought about discount sellers as well but I've read that they show the original designer pic on their website but the dress they send you is made using inferior fabrics and bad craftsmanship
33.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, regarding that one specific style that you like...

I would not recommend ordering a dress you have not tried on. We get calls all of the time about specific dresses. A large percentage of the time when someone calls about a dress they are usually disappointed once they get it on. This is not always true, but it''s rare that I order the same dress that someone came in the store to try on specifically.

You will also find a lot of cross-over from various designers. I''m sure that in your week you will have plenty of time to find your perfect dress.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:15:08 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
Mayerling, regarding that one specific style that you like...

I would not recommend ordering a dress you have not tried on. We get calls all of the time about specific dresses. A large percentage of the time when someone calls about a dress they are usually disappointed once they get it on. This is not always true, but it''s rare that I order the same dress that someone came in the store to try on specifically.

You will also find a lot of cross-over from various designers. I''m sure that in your week you will have plenty of time to find your perfect dress.

OUp, yeah I definitely wouldn''t consider buying a dress without having tried it on first. But I would definitely consider buying it if I''d had the chance of trying it on somewhere else. So if I got the chance to locate this dress at a boutique, try it on, discover my size, etc., I wouldn''t mind ordering this pre-owned dress (assuming it''s the right size). Unfortunately, 803 is not even available in the UK so my only chance of seeing how it would look on me would be to locate it in the US.

You''re definitely right about cross-over from various designers. It''s just that I seem to have a thing for US dresses and not all of them are available in Europe
8.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Unless your friend has a very similar body type to you and would be ok with trying it on, I would be very hesitant to pay for my dress in full and have her pick it up without first trying on to make sure that its the right dress, its how you ordered it, in the size you ordered, with no major errors or smudges.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 8:07:36 AM
Author: laughwithme
Unless your friend has a very similar body type to you and would be ok with trying it on, I would be very hesitant to pay for my dress in full and have her pick it up without first trying on to make sure that its the right dress, its how you ordered it, in the size you ordered, with no major errors or smudges.

Laughwithme, that''s where all my concerns lie. It''s my mother-in-law who''ll be picking it up, not a friend, and she definitely won''t be trying it on. I don''t think I have a choice though. I''ll just have to try it on before I buy it, and from then on trust that they''ll deliver it to her in the right size. My wedding isn''t for another year and a half so I''m hoping I''ll able to sort any hic-ups out by then. I think I might follow Rai Kai''s advice as well and just ask them to deliver it around xmas when I might be in the US again which will give me the opportunity to actually have a first fitting. Otherwise, I''ll just have to ask for some dust and prayers that they won''t screw things up.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
Mayerling...I saw you were thinking about ordering from Alfred Angelo. I figured I would tell you how my experience went as my dress is Alfred Angelo.

I ordered the dress in December. It came in in may. My measurements said to order me a 12...I''ve never been a 12 in my life but I figured, its a wedding dress they probably run small.

My dress was falling off of me when it came in. Given, I had lost about 15lbs, but 15lbs is not 3 dress sizes...I lucked out in the sense that all of my alterations were included in the price of the dress, so I didn''t have anything to worry about, but I would imagine the alterations that my dress needs would cost a decent amount of money. I have alteration 3# in a week and a half, and I''ll probably have 2-3 more before my wedding in June.

My advice to you is after they take your measurements, unless the sample fits like a glove is to ask the sales rep what your size is and see if you can find a similar style of dress in that size to see how close the fit is.

I am picking up all of my BM dresses, my mothers gown and my gown 3 days before the wedding. The salon said the only thing they need to release the gowns to me is that they are paid in full. I''m sure if you let them know your FMIL will be picking up the dress there wont be a problem.

All in all...Alfred Angelo runs pretty true to size. My FSIL is a 4 in everything, her dress is a 4. One of my BMs is a 12 in everything, her dress is a 12...and so on. They all needed very minimal alterations, hems, taking it in the hip a bit etc. I tend to think if they had ordered me an 8, it would have needed minimal alterations as I wear a 6 in most things, but usually go up to an 8 in dresses because of my chest.

Hope that helps and I didn''t scare you. But it takes a few months to get the gowns in, and you may need alterations even if they ordered your size according to the charts!

Have you considered an online outlet? You could go into the AA store and have your measurements taken and have the dress shipped directly to you?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 8:32:52 AM
Author: Nov2109
Mayerling...I saw you were thinking about ordering from Alfred Angelo. I figured I would tell you how my experience went as my dress is Alfred Angelo.

I ordered the dress in December. It came in in may. My measurements said to order me a 12...I''ve never been a 12 in my life but I figured, its a wedding dress they probably run small.

My dress was falling off of me when it came in. Given, I had lost about 15lbs, but 15lbs is not 3 dress sizes...I lucked out in the sense that all of my alterations were included in the price of the dress, so I didn''t have anything to worry about, but I would imagine the alterations that my dress needs would cost a decent amount of money. I have alteration 3# in a week and a half, and I''ll probably have 2-3 more before my wedding in June.

My advice to you is after they take your measurements, unless the sample fits like a glove is to ask the sales rep what your size is and see if you can find a similar style of dress in that size to see how close the fit is.

I am picking up all of my BM dresses, my mothers gown and my gown 3 days before the wedding. The salon said the only thing they need to release the gowns to me is that they are paid in full. I''m sure if you let them know your FMIL will be picking up the dress there wont be a problem.

All in all...Alfred Angelo runs pretty true to size. My FSIL is a 4 in everything, her dress is a 4. One of my BMs is a 12 in everything, her dress is a 12...and so on. They all needed very minimal alterations, hems, taking it in the hip a bit etc. I tend to think if they had ordered me an 8, it would have needed minimal alterations as I wear a 6 in most things, but usually go up to an 8 in dresses because of my chest.

Hope that helps and I didn''t scare you. But it takes a few months to get the gowns in, and you may need alterations even if they ordered your size according to the charts!

Have you considered an online outlet? You could go into the AA store and have your measurements taken and have the dress shipped directly to you?

I''m scared about online outlets. I''ve read that they don''t copy originals very well and use inferior materials.
33.gif

Also, I do have an appointment at an AA store but they said they don''t carry 803. Do you think if they measured me they could order 803 for me?

Also, since your dress is an AA, if you don''t mind my asking, how much did it cost?

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty sure ebridal superstore orders directly from AA..that is where my jr. BMs dresses are from. There was no way we were paying $200 for a kids dress! But I totally understand your concern, I''m not sure if I could order mine online either.

If I remember correctly my dress was $1550 which included alterations and cut to measure for length(I''m 5''9 and wanted it to hit the floor not skim it!), and my salon was having a 20% off sale...so I think it brought it down to somewhere around $1300...I pretty much got the length and alterations for free and paid full price for the dress from what I can tell..

I checked the AA website and it is available...so I don''t see why they wouldn''t be able to order it for you. I would just be hesitant to order something I haven''t tried on, however it is a beautiful dress!
1.gif

I would call the AA flagship store you are planning on going to and tell them you are pretty sure you want to order the 803...but can''t find it anywhere to try on and see if they can have a sample brought in for you when you are in the US...have you tried any of the salons where you live? I''m sure you have...

I hope it all works out for you. No two people will have the same shopping experience!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 9:20:39 AM
I''m pretty sure ebridal superstore orders directly from AA..that is where my jr. BMs dresses are from. There was no way we were paying $200 for a kids dress! But I totally understand your concern, I''m not sure if I could order mine online either.

If I remember correctly my dress was $1550 which included alterations and cut to measure for length(I''m 5''9 and wanted it to hit the floor not skim it!), and my salon was having a 20% off sale...so I think it brought it down to somewhere around $1300...I pretty much got the length and alterations for free and paid full price for the dress from what I can tell..

I checked the AA website and it is available...so I don''t see why they wouldn''t be able to order it for you. I would just be hesitant to order something I haven''t tried on, however it is a beautiful dress!
1.gif

I would call the AA flagship store you are planning on going to and tell them you are pretty sure you want to order the 803...but can''t find it anywhere to try on and see if they can have a sample brought in for you when you are in the US...have you tried any of the salons where you live? I''m sure you have...

I hope it all works out for you. No two people will have the same shopping experience!

Thanks for this info Nov. I contacted the AA store and asked if they had the dress and they said they didn''t. They didn''t offer to order it for me to try on so I just assumed they don''t do that unless you''re sure you''re going to buy it. But maybe I''ll ask and see what happens.

The salons where I live unfortunately don''t carry 803 either because it isn''t marketed in the UK. If you check the AA UK website you''ll see they only offer about half the dresses they offer on their US website; I think nothing in the sapphire line is sent to the UK. It''s pretty annoying.
38.gif

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I would give them a call and see if they can do that for you...whats the point in being a flagship store if you can''t bring in a dress for a bride to try on! If they wont, I''m sure they have a dress with a similar a-line/ballgown fit that you could get a feel for.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I''ll give it a shot.

i wish I actually lived in the US. I''m sure everything would be much simpler...

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think that''s the case! Bridal salons can''t carry every dress they just don''t have the room.

The US has its fair share of issues all around just like every other country!

It will all work out!

You may see another dress in the store that you like even more. I wound up with a dress I didn''t think i would ever wear, infact I thought it was hideous on the hanger...after alterations to get it to fit properly, I''m really happy with my dress :)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 10:45:57 AM
I don''t think that''s the case! Bridal salons can''t carry every dress they just don''t have the room.

The US has its fair share of issues all around just like every other country!

It will all work out!

You may see another dress in the store that you like even more. I wound up with a dress I didn''t think i would ever wear, infact I thought it was hideous on the hanger...after alterations to get it to fit properly, I''m really happy with my dress :)

Well, I''ve contacted AA directly about this and they said they''ll give me a list of retailers that actually carry the design. You''re right about seeing other dresses I might like. I''ve got a few more in mind; it''s just that I''d like the opportunity to try them all on rather than making a decision on the basis of lack of dresses.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
thats good news! I hope there is one in the area you are going to be in while in the states! I looked into it and they dont sell my dress in the UK either, however when I was having panic attacks about my gown I did come across a site that had a bunch of UK brides with my gown and many of the posts were recent. I think it was called youandyourwedding.uk or something like that.

Have you tried calling any of the salons in the UK to see if they sell it?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 2:25:50 PM

Have you tried calling any of the salons in the UK to see if they sell it?

Do you think it''s possible they sell if even though it''s not on the AA site? I just assumed they wouldn''t...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results