shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you eat only REAL food for a month? Sounds easy...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SNIP

The task set by a food blogger seemed deceptively simple: Eat real food for a month.

More than 900 people signed up for the challenge, and some were confident that it would not be difficult to avoid processed foods for 28 days.

But in the age of potato powders, cheese in a squirt can and microwaveable meals, eating only "real food" turned out to be much more difficult.

The Story

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Haven''t read the article yet but I have to say that there are few things that disturb me as much as cheese in a squirt can!!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I did that a few years ago. Dropped 32 pounds I didn''t really need to lose. Eliminating 1) sugar 2) wheat, processed or unprocessed, really changes everything.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t read the article yet, but this is what I NEED to do to unload these 10 pounds I''ve been carrying around for the past 5 years.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel very passionate about this subject.
I'm not a vegetarian or an organic-only shopper but we buy almost no processed food from corporations.
Zero soda, zero $5-boxes of Kellogg's cereal, etc.
There are several aisles of the food store that I never even enter.

I've been this way all my life for political reasons I can't go into on PS, but now I recognize the health and money-saving benefits.

I buy staples like brown rice, popcorn, lentils and pinto beans in 25 pound bags.
My shopping cart is 90% produce, and fresh fish and meat.
I buy a huge jug of olive oil, the only oil in our kitchen.
The checkers must hate me because there are almost no barcodes on my food.
I don't think there is a single thing in my kitchen right now with high fructose corn syrup in it.

I avoid eating out and never eat at fast food chains.

I like getting my food from working in my kitchen.
It is relaxing to me and is almost a spiritual thing to take care of myself this way.
I don't know anyone who does this.
I have always felt like an oddball (my dad called me a rabbit) and was almost embarrassed about it until recently with articles like this.

I hear people say, "We don't have time to eat like that." - but look at this snip from this source.......

According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year).
In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.

I'm not perfect and that's fine; I'll buy cookies, ice cream or chocolate occasionally as an unusual treat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could do this with ease if I put my mind to it. It''s easier than you think once you get over the excuses.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
Why yes I can!
9.gif

However they need to distinguish that real food can be processed. For example, crushed tomatoes in a can are "processed" but if you get them with no additives they are still "real". Expeller pressed extra virgin olive oil is natural and real but requires the expelling process, vegetable oils such as canola and soy require extraction and petroleum based processing to remove their flavor and they are often rancid due to heating during the "processing".

And the idiot in the article who calls this type of eating extreme is conflating packaging with processing and yes skim milk is processed and its nutrient profile is altered as a result.

The people complaining of the time consumption are also a little confused. Eating real foods doesn''t necessarily require that you process the stuff yourself, but it does mean you''ll be much more cognizant of what ingredients comprise your food be they from your garden, farmers market or supermarket.
Further the complaint that "real food" costs more you can thank the Farm Bill and agribusiness subsidies for that. I am hopeful that this type of awareness of what is real food will encourage consumers to be a little more picky about their foods in general though.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very hard, depending on your definition of processed food. I can buy mustard in a jar - is that processed food? Someone processed it and packaged it, but you could also argue that it's just mustard. Cheese is processed - I can't make my own cheese at home. I can make my own bread at home, but according to the "rules" I can't use white flour, oil, or refined sugar. It is incredibly difficult and I'm not even sure what you can consider "real food" other than meat, fruits, and veggies. Most carbs and dairy seem to be out based on the rules.

But if the rules were just eat meat, fruits, and veggies for a month, I wouldn't do it. I need my carbs and dairy.

eta: I guess there are methods for making some of the things that I listed as "processed" in your own home, but my point is that everything you use as an ingredient was probably processed and packaged by someone (even our veggies and fruits and meats).

eta2: For the record, I shop more or less like you, kenny, so it's not that I disagree with the principle at all! I probably make 2 trips down the middle aisles of the grocery store every week (we do eat cereal, we do eat mac & cheese out of a box sometimes, and DH eats hot dogs). I just disagree with my diet affecting my life to the point that it's limiting, know what I mean? I feel like going to the extent that this blog did would limit my life.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
BF and I make an effort to eat like this. We don''t do it 100%, but there is more real food than processed product in our house, and other than occassional treats, there is no high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my... lose that last ten pounds without upping the treadmill regimen? I''m in!

I must say that advertising depts have gotten really good at hiding the junk in their products. When my little cousin came to visit I went out shopping for kid-food. Fruit is easy, Mac ''n Cheese - well, there''s no such healthy thing, but cereal - they don''t just list "sugar" anymore, they list sucrose, fructose, brown sugar, molasses, crystalline fructose, chocolate flavour...
38.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO we should all forget about losing weight.

Eat right and exercise and your body will be whatever size it is supposed to be.

Ignore the media messages.
They just want to convince you that what is impossible is possible so they can sell you stuff.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Kenny

This is something I started doing 4 years ago, inspired by a trainer/nutritionist here in Britain called Dax Moy. He developed the elimination plan which essentially strips all processed foods, dairy products and sugars from your diet for 30 days and then you start to reintroduce them into your diet and you are able to see which foods your body doesn''t need or like. It has taken me a few years to change my lifestyle but I now no longer eat chocolate, sweeties (candies), cakes, pasta, drink alcohol (apart from the odd glass of champagne for a celebration) or eat processed foods. I never eat microwave meals or packet food and will try and eat fairtrade and organic foods as often as I can. I drink tea only and no coffee and limit my tea to 1 or 2 cups a day and often have none for 3/4 days at a time. I don''t drink soda''s but will occasionally have a diet 7up if I''m out for a night.

It sounds strict but I feel amazing. I only eat lean chicken. turkey and fish, no red meat or offal and no sausages/burgers etc. My body can no longer tolerate rich foods and can''t process ''hard'' food. I''ve lost 35lbs so far and although I have a way to go, know for the first time in my life that what I''m doing is really beneficial to my health.

If you do try this real food challenge, you''ll be suprised after the 4 weeks what foods your body will reject and how much better you''ll feel............well that''s after the initial week where you''ll have screaming headaches and feel like you''ve been run over by a train, but this is normal, this is your body coming down from the years of sugar/caffeine and e-additive fix you''ve been on.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:09:58 PM
Author: yssie
Oh my... lose that last ten pounds without upping the treadmill regimen? I''m in!

I must say that advertising depts have gotten really good at hiding the junk in their products. When my little cousin came to visit I went out shopping for kid-food. Fruit is easy, Mac ''n Cheese - well, there''s no such healthy thing, but cereal - they don''t just list ''sugar'' anymore, they list sucrose, fructose, brown sugar, molasses, crystalline fructose, chocolate flavour...
38.gif
Blame marketing + R&D. It''s all about creatively listing the ingredients. This is one reason I wanted to get out of the food industry (even though I worked for one of the most "honest" food companies out there).

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
well, there''s no such healthy thing, but cereal - they don''t just list ''sugar'' anymore, they list sucrose, fructose, brown sugar, molasses, crystalline fructose, chocolate flavour...
38.gif
Oh and they don''t mention the copius amounts of salt they put in these cereals!!! That''s why I don''t eat cereal anymore, its full of garbage additives and the salt makes you thirsty and bloats you but also makes you crave more cereal.

A good bio-yogurt with fresh fruit is way better for you and it gives you your protein fix and is good for your bones.

Everyone eats too much bread too, bread with everything it seems.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:13:08 PM
Author: kenny

Eat right and exercise and your body will be whatever size it is supposed to be.

They just want to convince you that what is impossible is possible so they can sell you stuff.
I''ll tell ya, Kenny, I''m trying but that mentality is taking me longer to get used to than it took to get used to changing my diet!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have recently started to cook our meals pretty much from scratch. I really like knowing exactly what goes into what we have on our plates. I understand what you mean Kenny when you say how much you enjoy preparing your food.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I cook nearly everything from scratch. However, I do use flour, sugar and oils in my cooking. And, we eat cereal nearly every day and lots of packaged pasta. I always thought we ate "real" food, but apparently not....

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:23:16 PM
Author: Po10472

well, there''s no such healthy thing, but cereal - they don''t just list ''sugar'' anymore, they list sucrose, fructose, brown sugar, molasses, crystalline fructose, chocolate flavour...
38.gif
Oh and they don''t mention the copius amounts of salt they put in these cereals!!! That''s why I don''t eat cereal anymore, its full of garbage additives and the salt makes you thirsty and bloats you but also makes you crave more cereal.

A good bio-yogurt with fresh fruit is way better for you and it gives you your protein fix and is good for your bones.

Everyone eats too much bread too, bread with everything it seems.
Ugh! I bought a box of Special K bc it was on sale. I''m a compulsive ingredient looker, and just didn''t think to look on a box of this cereal. I tried some when I got home, and thought it was esp. sweet. Low and behold, HFCS
29.gif

People should try to eat "real food" for a month. Food will start tasting better, and those sweet cravings will decrease. DH and I also shop the peremeter of the store. No HFCS in our household; curses to you K for sneakin it in through cereal!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I am constantly astonished at the junk people put in their bodies. I thought I ate healthy, but as soon as you get the real information and make it a priority, you make dramatic changes.

I eat vegetarian, eat virtually no dairy (nothing at home, but will eat a pizza at a client lunch that has some cheese, for example). Only animal product we eat are eggs, and those are getting cut back as well. No white foods EVER - any pasta is homemade with spelt or quinoa flour. Only oil is extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. Sugar is a no-no because my fiance is diabetic.

Eat clean for a couple months, then try a big greasy pizza or steak - you will be sick, guaranteed. Your body is no longer being subjected to abuse and won''t take it anymore.

I am a fan of the book, "Eat to Live". Great practical advise with lots of scientific support. The focus is healthy living NOT weight loss. But as Kenny said, if you eat this way, your body will find the right weight.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn''t, I really couldn''t. While I don''t go out to eat (unless it''s sushi!), and don''t ever ''cook'' from a box, I can''t give up my cereal in the mornings. I know it''s SO bad for me but it is the only thing I can eat in the am without getting a terrible stomachache. Proteins, whether from eggs, cottage cheese, or the like, cannot be eaten before 10am!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:18:59 PM
Hey Kenny

This is something I started doing 4 years ago, inspired by a trainer/nutritionist here in Britain called Dax Moy. He developed the elimination plan which essentially strips all processed foods, dairy products and sugars from your diet for 30 days and then you start to reintroduce them into your diet and you are able to see which foods your body doesn''t need or like. It has taken me a few years to change my lifestyle but I now no longer eat chocolate, sweeties (candies), cakes, pasta, drink alcohol (apart from the odd glass of champagne for a celebration) or eat processed foods. I never eat microwave meals or packet food and will try and eat fairtrade and organic foods as often as I can. I drink tea only and no coffee and limit my tea to 1 or 2 cups a day and often have none for 3/4 days at a time. I don''t drink soda''s but will occasionally have a diet 7up if I''m out for a night.

It sounds strict but I feel amazing. I only eat lean chicken. turkey and fish, no red meat or offal and no sausages/burgers etc. My body can no longer tolerate rich foods and can''t process ''hard'' food. I''ve lost 35lbs so far and although I have a way to go, know for the first time in my life that what I''m doing is really beneficial to my health.

If you do try this real food challenge, you''ll be suprised after the 4 weeks what foods your body will reject and how much better you''ll feel............well that''s after the initial week where you''ll have screaming headaches and feel like you''ve been run over by a train, but this is normal, this is your body coming down from the years of sugar/caffeine and e-additive fix you''ve been on.
DH and I rarely go out to eat, even more rare we go to a chain restaurant. I ate at The Olive Garden w my family, and after whole grain pasta w veggies, I was ill
14.gif

I eliminated these foods a couple of yrs ago as well, and while I didn''t have extra weight to lose, I feel 100% better as well. And I can''t say I NEVER eat sweets or drink alcohol; on occasion.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 4:13:08 PM
Author: kenny

GREAT POST
and
TOTALLY AGREE!
9.gif
36.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of cereal, you can buy oats! DH and I buy ours in bulk. Microwave it for 2 minutes with some milk or water, then add nuts, fruit, a bit of sugar, etc. Soooo good, super cheap ($0.40/lb), and much better for you than the store-bought stuff.

DH and I have been eating mostly out of our veggie garden lately. It''s pretty low maintenance, and it''s fun going to the backyard and deciding what we want to eat for dinner. We also make our own soy milk, produce our own eggs (from quails we keep), bake our own bread, and I made our own tofu for the first time last night! You''d really be surprised by how little time and space all this stuff takes.

We feel healthier, contribute less of a carbon footprint, and we save a ton of money. Win-win-win!
9.gif

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 6:05:27 PM
Author: Aloros
Instead of cereal, you can buy oats! DH and I buy ours in bulk. Microwave it for 2 minutes with some milk or water, then add nuts, fruit, a bit of sugar, etc. Soooo good, super cheap ($0.40/lb), and much better for you than the store-bought stuff.

DH and I have been eating mostly out of our veggie garden lately. It''s pretty low maintenance, and it''s fun going to the backyard and deciding what we want to eat for dinner. We also make our own soy milk, produce our own eggs (from quails we keep), bake our own bread, and I made our own tofu for the first time last night! You''d really be surprised by how little time and space all this stuff takes.

We feel healthier, contribute less of a carbon footprint, and we save a ton of money. Win-win-win!
9.gif
Wow! That''s so cool! It sounds very much like the urban homesteading movement.

I tried to make the majority of our food (snacks included) when my bf and I were still living together because we were trying to cut back on food costs. Although we did still buy things like white flour, pasta, skim milk, etc. It''s surprising how easy it is to make some of the stuff we commonly buy already processed in the grocery. And so much cheaper too! We saved a lot of money by making yogurt (which can then be made into yogurt cheese!), popping our own popcorn and making bread (I''m one of those eats too much bread people).

April20

Ideal_Rock
I read this article on a link from CNN today. I think I could do it, but would have to be much more planful about our meals. I could see doing it with lean meats, fresh vegetables and starches, etc.

When I read the article, I realized I hadn''t thought about the impact this type of eating would have on actual cooking. As I was reading about the woman grinding oats for her children''s breakfasts, I thought BRAVE woman!!!

I''m wondering if I could get DH to buy into it. Probably.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read the article, but I could eat only "real" food for a month. Or a year. Or whatever. My problem is I don''t actually have the time to do that (and I don''t spend 4 hours in front of a TV everyday). However, from the comments I''ve read here, my idea of "real" and this project''s idea of "real" are very very different.

Mine is better.
3.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been doing this for the last 25 years. I eat everything in it's natural state, flavored only by natural spices, a little olive oil, maybe lemon juice, fresh tomatoes, or organic tomato sauce. I'm on the anti-candida regime (I don't call it a diet because it's not a diet for me, it's how I have to eat to feel well). I'm allergic to milk and milk products, so I haven't had cheese or frozen desserts since 1983/4/5. I'm allergic to yeast, so no breads or pre-baked anything. I can't have any preservatives or additives, they make me sick. I eat whole grain shredded wheat, a few different whole grain crackers, lots of fruits and veggies (though I'm still allergic to some), eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, organic nuts, raisins, dried plums and dried apricots. Dessert in a restaurant for me is strawberries or melon. I can't have any sugar either.

People tell me I'm pretty boring to go out to eat with, but that's the way it is for me.

I do cook and bake everything usual and normal though. My husband loves his food (especially Italian) and can eat everything.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 6:05:27 PM
Author: Aloros We also make our own soy milk, produce our own eggs (from quails we keep), bake our own bread, and I made our own tofu for the first time last night! You''d really be surprised by how little time and space all this stuff takes.

9.gif

Was it hard to make your own tofu? I love fresh tofu (some of the Asian restaurants in our area make their own on site) but I have never tried to make it.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who is trying to eat only foods that her grandmother recognized, and she''s blogging about it.

Some things are fairly easy, some things have been more challenging. It has definitely been interesting to read about.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:18:59 PM
Hey Kenny

Don''t - I did the elimination diet to try and find the cause of my migraines and I have never felt as ill as I did that week. My bones hurt so bad I couldn''t sleep.

Oh, and yes I could easily do the real food thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results