shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco diamond earrings - Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunset522

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

This forum has helped me quite a bit.. I just purchased a 1Carat (.5ct each) TW diamond stud earrings, 14ct white gold w/ 6 prongs from cotsco wholesale store. They were about $2550 inc taxes.. and cotsco promises that their diamonds are VS2 or better and color I(near colorless) or better. They gave me an appraisal form w/ it which was dated back in October of this year and that was appriased for $5200. Do you think it''s a good buy? They did not give me a GIA certificate with it. When I asked for one, they say that all their diamonds are GIA certified but they don''t have the copy of the certificate. Should I get it appriased anyway once again by a local appraiser? Costco is known to sell quality products for decent price and that''s why I bought them. They do have 30 day money back guarantee.. please let me know what you all think on the price and the appraisal and whether or not i should invest some money in getting it appriased again.

Thanks,
Sandhya.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

If I were you, I'd take advantage of that money-back guarantee. There is a thread about studs on the RockyTalky page, so take a look at that...

Good luck!

sunset522

Rough_Rock
Just to add to my prev post.. the apprisal that I got frm Costco was done by a GIA certified person.

Sandhya.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sunset...

I think you may have overpaid. Many people don't realize that by building their own from scratch, many times you can get a better deal than what a store will sell you pre-set studs for.

Worried because your stones don't come with a cert? If you bought them separately through a reputable vendor they would.

We just helped 2 other people this week on this forum buy some studs from reputable online vendors...you paid $2550 for at least I VS2 (ridiculous actually that you don't even get told the color and clarity of the stones for over $2k!!); but online you could get 1ctw of say G VS or similar for $2500. My fiance and I paid (2 years ago) $2400 for 1ctw of H VS and we ended up not being knowing we really got N SI--the jeweler exchanged them, but that is a prime example of how you think you have one thing and really get taken for a ride with another.

Now I would only do 'build my own' because for that same $2400 we could have gotten super ideal H&A stones for the same price, same color and clarity, but hands down 100% better quality. My stones now are very nice but nowhere near ideal. Live and learn.

I would take advantage of your return policy and do a build your own online. You paid a significant amount of money and found this forum for a reason...IMO you have a few options.
1.gif

Good luck!

tongr

Rough_Rock
An idependent appraisal is highly recommended. We ppraised several stones from Costco, all except for one, were better than what was specified in the certificate, including color, clarity and size. Good luck with your's!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results