carat
color
clarity

Costco AMEX card

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Questions for all Costco AMEX card holder:

Will you keep the new automatically transferred Costco visa card?

I personally really like the AMEX customer services & purchase protection which are lacking in may other CC companies. The Costco AMEX is really the only cc I use, except places where they don't accept AMEX. Are you using another AMEX card that offers the best rebate that you would recommend?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm torn.

I too, LOVE AMEX customer service.
It's like dealing with Nordstrum.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SomethingNew|1459893795|4015876 said:

I personally really like the AMEX customer services & purchase protection which are lacking in may other CC companies. The Costco AMEX is really the only cc I use, except places where they don't accept AMEX. Are you using another AMEX card that offers the best rebate that you would recommend?

We use Amex Blue, the cash back card for absolutely everything. Double points on gas and groceries.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will not continue with Amex once Costco changes me over. My primary card is my Discover, and I have a MC and a Visa as a backup for places that don't take Discover. Once I get my Costco Visa, I will be getting rid of one or bother of the MC and Visa that I have now. I don't like having too many cards, and my brain is like a sieve so it's too much for me to track sometimes :wacko:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1459901618|4015925 said:
I will not continue with Amex once Costco changes me over. My primary card is my Discover, and I have a MC and a Visa as a backup for places that don't take Discover. Once I get my Costco Visa, I will be getting rid of one or bother of the MC and Visa that I have now. I don't like having too many cards, and my brain is like a sieve so it's too much for me to track sometimes :wacko:

Send the card and your PIN # and Zip Code to me before you cancel the card.

Love you.
You're such a peach. :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:

Send the card and your PIN # and Zip Code to me before you cancel the card.

Love you.
You're such a peach. :love:
Right! And then go ahead and buy a diamond and hope that I forgot which card I used to buy my recent purchases and don't notice the extra charges :naughty:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll use the Costco Citibank Visa when it comes and not get another AmEx. I only use the AmEx at Costco and have never had to contact Customer Service so don't have a need for another credit card from them. And the Visa will give back 2% on Costco purchases rather than the 1% the AmEx did so it's a a better deal which I like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We received another AmEx in anticipation of not having the Costco Amex in June so we are continuing on with AmEx. AmEx always gives us amazing customer service and always catches fraudulent charges so efficiently and up to now we are pleased with them. Plus, my dh has been an AmEx member for 35 years so we are staying with them but will of course use the Costco Visa at Costco. Unless the benefits are that much better with the new Visa and then perhaps we will rethink our decision.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
SomethingNew|1459893795|4015876 said:

We opened a different AMEX card, a Blue Cash Preferred. We have had amazing service with AMEX, the best fraud protection ever, and I've had them for business for almost 15 years, and have nothing but glowing reviews for the company.

We were PISSED (understatement of the decade) when we found out they were switching to Citi, because we have had nothing but issues with them and I have nothing positive to say about them. They suck with fraud prevention, like, you might as well just go light your money and yourself on fire, because they will literally do NOTHING to help you or prevent it, and I am convinced they sell your information on Silk Road to scammers for profit. Right now, we're still expecting to get the card, but will likely close it, and just use a different Visa card. But my husband wants to just cancel Costco altogether out of sheer fury that they got themselves linked up with that hideous company.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't close it, that is a huge negative hit on your credit. Just use it once in a while and pay it off immediately.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
America express sent us info on signing up for their American Express blue awhile ago. I thought they sent that to all Costco American Express card holders. We went ahead and got that before Costco gave us any information on their Visa card. I'm not sure if I want the visa or not, still thinking about it.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new Costco Visa offers:
4% cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
3% cash back on restaurant and eligible travel purchases worldwide
2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
1% cash back on all other purchases

We will use the Costco Visa for restaurants and most Costco purchases, same as before with Costco AmEx, and will also use it for gas.

We use our SPG AmEx for electronics and expensive items regardless of where purchased because of the warranty extension and loss/damage coverage features which we have used successfully without hassle in the past.

We will continue to use our AmEx Blue for groceries but no longer for gas (Costco Visa beats Blue's 2% reward), and our SPG AmEx for pretty much everything else to get the travel rewards. If the vendor doesn't take AmEx we will use Visa or Discover.

* Some of these things are subject to temporary change based on Discover's quarterly promotions.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Curious Marypoppins, how do you know the promo's for the credit card already? This is a highly guarded promo.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2dolls|1459960477|4016190 said:
Curious Marypoppins, how do you know the promo's for the credit card already? This is a highly guarded promo.

For Costco Visa I received a flyer from Costco in the mail which matched the information on this website: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/citi.action?ID=citi-costco-credit-card-conversion

For Discover, I don't know what the promos are until a little before the quarter starts. Discover sends upcoming promo information by email and with invoices. Upon receipt of promo information, you have to contact Discover by phone or email to tell the company that you want your account to be able to take advantage of the promo.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1459961715|4016201 said:

For Costco Visa I received a flyer from Costco in the mail which matched the information on this website: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/citi.action?ID=citi-costco-credit-card-conversion

For Discover, I don't know what the promos are until a little before the quarter starts. Discover sends upcoming promo information by email and with invoices. Upon receipt of promo information, you have to contact Discover by phone or email to tell the company that you want your account to be able to take advantage of the promo.

Another good read about the Costco visa: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-things-to-know-about-the-costco-and-amex-breakup-2016-02-11

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1459961715|4016201 said:

One thing Citigroup didn't address is what if during this transition time, when you make purchases at Costco but need to return in the future, will the return going to be just store credit? I am going to get a necklace for my mom for mother's day, but I need the flexibility in case she'd want to return.

I will find out next time I go to Costco.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you still have to pay the $50 Costco membership fee when you have their credit card?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1459952001|4016135 said:
Don't close it, that is a huge negative hit on your credit. Just use it once in a while and pay it off immediately.
This is an excellent point Ame makes. If you are planning on doing something major that requires a credit check, like taking out a mortgage, don't close any credit cards out! Luckily, we bought our home in 2015, and don't plan on getting a new car for a few years, so now's the time for us to look over our wallets and close anything we don't use or need...credit-wise.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I got the flyer from Costco too. And to answer another question, there is an FAQ section in the flyer or on the website (can't remember which) that talks about how returns will be handled.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results