shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of Engraving?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies!

So... I keep seeing people who are saying their engraved invitations were $100-$300 more expensive than the cost of thermography-style invitations would be.

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THEM?!
33.gif

I have been looking at a very simple invitation from Crane & Co. that I love and will be very formal, and I''m in love with the idea of engraved invitations and having the die as a keepsake. But for only 75 invitations (I expect to send out about 68) I am seeing a total price difference of $500 or more dollars!! How is engraving so affordable for everyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

Any tips on how to cut down on the number of pieces I am ordering if the invitations and wedding will be pretty formal?? Is it totally tacky not to engrave envelopes if the invitations are engraved? Advice is sorely needed!
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Try finestationery.com or weddingpaperdivas.com (WPD's is having a 15% off and free shipping sale until 11:59 tonight)

Theirs are pretty reasonable. At the 75 count mark it looks like most of theirs are around $150 difference. (only for the invitations though...)

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Also try www.MyGatsby.com. There''s a 20.09% discount on their mix and match invitations until March 31 (coupon code 033109).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m surprised when people say the engraving only costs a few hundred more, as well.

Our invitations were from Crane & Company, and they were hand engraved. They cost about $12 per invite, which included the engraved invitations, response cards, lined inner envelope, and outer envelope with our return address engraved on it.

I wouldn''t change that decision for the world. I loved our invitations.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 2:28:17 PM
Author: Haven
I'm surprised when people say the engraving only costs a few hundred more, as well.

Our invitations were from Crane & Company, and they were hand engraved. They cost about $12 per invite, which included the engraved invitations, response cards, lined inner envelope, and outer envelope with our return address engraved on it.

I wouldn't change that decision for the world. I loved our invitations.
My inaccurate quote of $300 was only for the invitations. Since engraving was something I never looked into, I have no idea how the cost would have skyrocketed when adding envelopes and multiple insert cards.

Katy- I'm not sure saying that this is something that everyone can afford is true, in most cases it is probably just something that some brides are very particular about and budget for. Like a pastry chef would possibly budget $2000 for a cake.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine were £360 for 100 invitations 8" x 6" on folded card with plain envelopes. That''s about $524 US

(Reply cards etc aren''t normal in the UK but the company does produce them)

The thermographed version were £174 for 100 invitations 8" x 6" on folded card with plain envelopes. That''s about $253 US

I used a company called Piccolo Press in Scotland - www.piccolopress.co.uk - who were fantastic and I was really impressed with the service. They produce all the stationery for the Forces, the British Embassies and some of the stationery for the Royal Family - they were way cheaper than some of the London engravers, and having used both for work events I knew where I was going for my wedding invitations!

They also do a lot of business with the USA - www.piccolopressusa.com is their website for this.

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
Look at Jenner. They engrave and also carry Crane(or at least they used to). They are a little cheaper if you get Crane through them.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I just checked out the Reaves website, and it looks like they do classic engraved invitations with designs very similar to Crane for a fraction of the price!!

Has anyone used them? I'm trying to understand how it can be so much cheaper! I suppose you do pay for the prestige in the Crane name, but still!

(This is a double response, because apparently I'm too tired to be using the internet. Sorry!)

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 9:48:37 PM
Author: KatyWI
Wow. I just checked out the Reaves website, and it looks like they do classic engraved invitations with designs very similar to Crane for a fraction of the price!!

Has anyone used them? I''m trying to understand how it can be so much cheaper! I suppose you do pay for the prestige in the Crane name, but still!

(This is a double response, because apparently I''m too tired to be using the internet. Sorry!)

I''m looking at using Reaves, and for 125 invites/envelopes with printing the address on the envelope flap it would be $157 for thermography and about $255 for the same pieces engraved. We are going to print reply postcards separately so the only pieces I plan on ordering are the invites and envelopes, it might be more if you want/need more pieces. I''m not positive what the price diff is about, but when you don''t have to pay for mall shops and the employees to staff them and the advertising to make your name well known so you can charge what they charge might be part of it. Crane also is known for it''s fabulous 100% cotton paper, which probably also adds to the price. Haven - I bet your invites were divine!

All of the online reviews I have found are favorable, but I would also love to hear from anyone on ps that has used Reaves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results