shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates January 2021...please add yours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starting a new Coronavirus thread since we are in a new month and a new year.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So Melbourne had a few more cases yesterday (10). It looks like the other states are planning to close their borders to Victoria. My dad, sister and sister in law are visiting from Brisbane and fly back tonight. Hopefully they won't have to hotel quarantine as it's going to be a very expensive trip.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Things that make you go wth.
Covid vaccinations at a local hospital are mandatory for administration staff but optional for all but the covid area medical staff.
I know someone who works the phones from home who was required to come in and get the first of 2 vaccine shots, while a nurse I know at the same hospital was given the option to opt out and did so.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Healthcare logic at work. It's the most insanely wasteful and senseless industry on the planet. I'm going to die on a gurney on a hallway while someone waits for a phone call to "go ahead with that."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things that make you go wth.
Covid vaccinations at a local hospital are mandatory for administration staff but optional for all but the covid area medical staff.
I know someone who works the phones from home who was required to come in and get the first of 2 vaccine shots, while a nurse I know at the same hospital was given the option to opt out and did so.

Outrageous.

So Melbourne had a few more cases yesterday (10). It looks like the other states are planning to close their borders to Victoria. My dad, sister and sister in law are visiting from Brisbane and fly back tonight. Hopefully they won't have to hotel quarantine as it's going to be a very expensive trip.

Wishing them a safe journey.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Update....Massachusetts...statewide total cases 367,987 since start of pandemic with 12, 236 deaths. We are at 25% capacity limits for most businesses including restaurants and gyms.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I qualify as a Type 1A healthcare worker and just signed up to get vaccinated on January 22 with the Moderna version. I can't wait. I'm fearful of catching it, but couldn't live with myself if I gave it to someone and they died.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard this. So when the paramedics arrive at a home, they'll assess the patient and say "Sorry, too sick to be treated, your outcome has been predetermined"?

I guess that’s the case. I can’t imagine having to be the person to make that decision. Even worse, I can’t imagine being the family, watching my loved one suffocate and die.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update....Massachusetts...statewide total cases 367,987 since start of pandemic with 12, 236 deaths. We are at 25% capacity limits for most businesses including restaurants and gyms.

That's over half the population of our wee city
:(2

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I heard this. So when the paramedics arrive at a home, they'll assess the patient and say "Sorry, too sick to be treated, your outcome has been predetermined"?

They've been asked not to transport out of hospital cardiac arrests who aren't revived quickly. No requests to leave living patients (yet). Ambulance offload times in Southern California are reaching 8 hours some days, so it's pretty much a moot point because I'm sure lots of calls are just going unanswered.

This has generated a lot of press but this is a common policy in many parts of the country prepandemic.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They've been asked not to transport out of hospital cardiac arrests who aren't revived quickly. No requests to leave living patients (yet). Ambulance offload times in Southern California are reaching 8 hours some days, so it's pretty much a moot point because I'm sure lots of calls are just going unanswered.

This has generated a lot of press but this is a common policy in many parts of the country prepandemic.

This is starting to sound like a humanitarian disaster

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Signed up online today to be put on the list for a covid vaccine in my county at the county health department.
They are saying it will be at least 2 weeks but could be as long as months depending on what your answers are to the questions.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Signed up online today to be put on the list for a covid vaccine in my county at the county health department.
They are saying it will be at least 2 weeks but could be as long as months depending on what your answers are to the questions.

Good luck Karl
hopefully its weeks not months

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am surprised that 30% of healthcare workers in NY are refusing the Covid vaccine.

I am disgusted they haven't opened up vaccination to other vulnerable groups just waiting for healthcare workers to decide.

"In New York City, health officials have thousands of shots available “without arms to give injections to,” Mitchell Katz, chief executive officer of NYC Health and Hospitals, said in a separate Thursday briefing.

He said every eligible worker in the city’s public hospital system, the largest in the U.S., who wants to be vaccinated has received a shot. That’s left the city with thousands of vaccinations in storage.

The initial batch is reserved for health-care workers, and Cuomo doubled down on his decision not to open up vaccines to other vulnerable cohorts until all people in the first group get it.

The 11 hospitals have “almost no one left to vaccinate within its employee base,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said in his Thursday briefing. “We could be reaching folks this minute who are vulnerable. I’ll speak to our law department further, because I think what’s happening here makes no sense.”

Around 30% of health-care workers in New York City have resisted getting vaccinated, either because they distrust the shot or believe they have become immune through prior infection, said Katz. “All of a sudden, we have appointments available.”
"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI those who want to learn more about the different types of vaccines and the mechanisms by which they work.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy it's so ridiculous. If they opened it up to the next "phase" we could keep this ball rolling. I would gladly get it TOMORROW so I could go back to work in the building after my maternity leave. I would have NO hesitation going back if I were able to get the vaccine first.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy it's so ridiculous. If they opened it up to the next "phase" we could keep this ball rolling. I would gladly get it TOMORROW so I could go back to work in the building after my maternity leave. I would have NO hesitation going back if I were able to get the vaccine first.

Exactly. I’m so frustrated. I hate when common sense is lacking and that’s the norm over rational thinking more often than not. #dirtypolitics

Imo teachers should be in the first group!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. I’m so frustrated. I hate when common sense is lacking and that’s the norm over rational thinking more often than not. #dirtypolitics

Imo teachers should be in the first group!

Thank you! So many of us would happily go back in the buildings if they would just give us access to the vaccine. Once I get the shot I'll consider it the same threat level as the flu for myself (my whole family gets that shot annually). I'll continue to mask and be careful but just knowing that the main threat of death is so greatly lessened I'll feel much more confident going to work. Especially since my students cannot socially distance and many cannot tolerate a mask.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.17.08 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very interesting to see what might develop, thank you @Austina
@MMtwo linked us a month or two ago to a study showing some promise regarding a xylitol nasal spray IIRC.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, unfortunately for her, the nurse we fired in part because she was actively advocating against mask usage now has flu and Covid at the same time.

What a pity because masks could have helped, if only in reducing viral load of both. Too late now. I’m sure she feels like crap.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well, unfortunately for her, the nurse we fired in part because she was actively advocating against mask usage now has flu and Covid at the same time.

What a pity because masks could have helped, if only in reducing viral load of both. Too late now. I’m sure she feels like crap.

It's hard to believe a practicing nurse could be that dumb!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results