clarity

Coronavirus updates August 1, 2021

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian How are you feeling today?

No changes from yesterday, except now my nose is running constantly and I do feel drainage in my throat (gross)..... which I think is good, I'll take that over that extreme dryness. I ended up crashing yesterday about 8pm.

It kinda sucks because I'm bored but I'm tired, and even trying to sew stuff has me tired. I feel kinda off kilter/dizzy though. Stupid headache (but of course). Lungs hurt a bit but its stupidly humid here. (precaution I took albuterol after the dog walk) I'll be done with antibiotics in about 2 days.

Everything still takes like its mixed with metal (gross). smell is messed up, I don't care, I'm wearing perfume!

OX is 98 today so thats always good.
Temp is 98.9F
I did sweat last night but not as bad as last night.

Today he told me he's glad he didn't have to shake me awake. I asked why and he said "because all last week you would do this weird thing and stop breathing" like DUDE WHAT? :oops2:

I did not know he was doing that. Last time he did that I had gotten pretty sick with flu, so not abnormal but I would have liked to had known that earlier! (I know why he didn't see it as a big deal but still...covid!!). I've been sleeping propped with lots of pillows, either on my stomach or on my back. Its awkward but I do like breathing.

Tomorrow I will try to work out a little. This is why I'm thankful to have equipment here.

I hope that he is negative (hes done his test) because he's feeling absolutely nothing. He's wearing a mask in the house around me though and I'm wiping everything down behind my use. I don't know if that will help but I certainly hope so!! I'm sincerely hoping that his getting later shots protects him from me.

The next 7 days is what I'm watching for and also we'll watch to see if there's any relapse after the meds are finished.

Today I'll be putting things away in the yard (thankfully I don't have much out!) The good is that during the day there's not a lot of people out in my neighborhood so, If I just have to get out of the house and walk, I'm able to go without a mask though I keep one on my person.

No one should be scared of the things I'm reporting because they're actually very minor considering some of the things other's experienced.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian I hope your husband is negative too, so please keep us posted on that. It is scary to think that you are still pretty sick, even though fully vaccinated, and it does make me think that we definitely will want boosters when they let us have them. My shots were 5 months ago, and I'm older, so I assume my immunity is less than it was. Please don't push yourself too much. Working out may be a bit too much for you. Keep your energy for healing please. And keep getting better.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No changes from yesterday, except now my nose is running constantly and I do feel drainage in my throat (gross)..... which I think is good, I'll take that over that extreme dryness. I ended up crashing yesterday about 8pm.
It kinda sucks because I'm bored but I'm tired, and even trying to sew stuff has me tired. I feel kinda off kilter/dizzy though. Stupid headache (but of course). Lungs hurt a bit but its stupidly humid here. (precaution I took albuterol after the dog walk) I'll be done with antibiotics in about 2 days.

Everything still takes like its mixed with metal (gross). smell is messed up, I don't care, I'm wearing perfume!

OX is 98 today so thats always good.
Temp is 98.9F
I did sweat last night but not as bad as last night.

Today he told me he's glad he didn't have to shake me awake. I asked why and he said "because all last week you would do this weird thing and stop breathing" like DUDE WHAT? :oops2:

I did not know he was doing that. Last time he did that I had gotten pretty sick with flu, so not abnormal but I would have liked to had known that earlier! (I know why he didn't see it as a big deal but still...covid!!). I've been sleeping propped with lots of pillows, either on my stomach or on my back. Its awkward but I do like breathing.

Tomorrow I will try to work out a little. This is why I'm thankful to have equipment here.

I hope that he is negative (hes done his test) because he's feeling absolutely nothing. He's wearing a mask in the house around me though and I'm wiping everything down behind my use. I don't know if that will help but I certainly hope so!! I'm sincerely hoping that his getting later shots protects him from me.

The next 7 days is what I'm watching for and also we'll watch to see if there's any relapse after the meds are finished.

Today I'll be putting things away in the yard (thankfully I don't have much out!) The good is that during the day there's not a lot of people out in my neighborhood so, If I just have to get out of the house and walk, I'm able to go without a mask though I keep one on my person.

No one should be scared of the things I'm reporting because they're actually very minor considering some of the things other's experienced.

@Arcadian OMG Maybe it’s a good thing you didn’t know he had to shake you all last week when you stopped breathing. :oops2:I would be afraid to go to sleep. This way you were able to get rest which is so important right now. It sure sounds like you are on the mend. I hope your hubby tests negative.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear your test came back positive. The good news is after you recover you will have the best protection from Covid "natural antibody". :clap:

Just for any casual lurkers reading: this is inaccurate. The best protection is vaccination, "natural antibody" (sic) is not protective against the variants and varies highly for individuals.

And to throw in an anecdote for good measure: my friend who got Covid for the second time after 5 months (at the time the vaccination was only possible 6 months after infection here in Europe) supports this as does his family who had to isolate for three weeks AGAIN and were very unhappy about this. And yes , his wife was vaccinated, and she didn't get it, but the children are too young and you cannot leave them home alone with a sick dad, right?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for any casual lurkers reading: this is inaccurate. The best protection is vaccination, "natural antibody" (sic) is not protective against the variants and varies highly for individuals.
Neither is the vaccine. I'm not against people taking the jab but don't force on everyone else.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither is the vaccine. I'm not against people taking the jab but don't force on everyone else.
You’re right that vaccination doesn’t prevent COVID all the time. But it is pretty much 100% in preventing death and around 85% (averaging here because of different vaccines and variants) at preventing hospitalization. Are you going to give up the hospital bed that you might need if you are unvaccinated and contract COVID for someone who might need it for a heart attack? Are you willing to go to the back of the line? Do you think you should based on your choice of your “freedom “? I’m really curious if you are willing to accept that consequence (which isn’t happening but some say it should)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lookinagain , If I caught the virus I'll stay home and rest. Believe me I still remember the HK flu of 1968 it was no fun.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lookinagain , If I caught the virus I'll stay home and rest. Believe me I still remember the HK flu of 1968 it was no fun.
Ok well as long as you stay home and don’t take a bed from someone else that’s a good thing. I just hope you don’t need that bed. And weren’t you a lot younger and therefore probably healthier in 1968? I know I was.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok well as long as you stay home and don’t take a bed from someone else that’s a good thing. I just hope you don’t need that bed. And weren’t you a lot younger and therefore probably healthier in 1968? I know I was.
I was 10 yrs old in 1968. I'll save the bed for those who need it more than I. You know what is so strange?...ever since this virus hit I didn't even get hit with a common cold which I usually get each yr.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 10 yrs old in 1968. I'll save the bed for those who need it more than I. You know what is so strange?...ever since this virus hit I didn't even get hit with a common cold which I usually get each yr.
Most people didn’t get the cold or the flu because they were staying home or staying away from others. That’s been documented. But that is expected to change this year and not for the better. Unfortunately they expect a bad flu season from what I’ve read.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people didn’t get the cold or the flu because they were staying home or staying away from others. That’s been documented. But that is expected to change this year and not for the better. Unfortunately they expect a bad flu season from what I’ve read.
I don't stay home. I have been out living my normal life for the past 20 months.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately they expect a bad flu season from what I’ve read.

This brings up the question, when do you plan (if you get one) on getting the flu shot this year?

We used to get it in August/September when I was working. They gave it at work and that's when we got it. But I learned years later that the flu shot only lasts about 6 months. I was surprised. So now I aim for oOctober/November.

What about this year?
Double whammy with Covid 19 and the flu season.

When do you (general you) plan on getting the flu vaccine this year?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping the flu and Covid vaccine (booster for most) could be administered together this year? I get the flu vaccine through work in October even though I’ve never had it.
I am anxious that the school year will (for the third academic year) be affected. I feel such sadness for the children… :’(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping the flu and Covid vaccine (booster for most) could be administered together this year? I get the flu vaccine through work in October even though I’ve never had it.
I am anxious that the school year will (for the third academic year) be affected. I feel such sadness for the children… :’(

So I don't remember where I read this or if I just imagined it but I think there needs to be at least 2 weeks between administering the flu vaccine and the Covid vaccine. Common sense tells me this to be true because we can get flu vaccine side effects and if we combined the two the side effects could be that much worse. Plus I would be concerned about interference between the vaccines. Now I could just be making this up but I think we should wait at least 2 weeks. I will see if I can find any factual info about this and share it here if I find any.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 you are right...a new study indicates they can be given at the same time!

"
June 16, 2021 -- Giving a COVID-19 vaccine at the same time as a seasonal flu vaccine appears safe and effective, according to a new study.

Overall, the Novavax vaccine (Novavax) has shown 89.8% efficacy in an ongoing, placebo-controlled phase III study, the first to test how people react to getting both shots simultaneously When the researchers gave a smaller group of 431 volunteers from the same study an influenza shot at the same time, efficacy dropped slightly to 87.5%.

"These results demonstrate the promising opportunity for concomitant vaccination, which may lead to higher vaccination rates and further protection against both viruses," says study co-author Raja Rajaram, MD, a medical affairs lead at Seqirus, the company that supplied the flu vaccines for the research.

The research was published online June 13, 2021 as a MedRxivpreprint, and has not been peer reviewed
"With these COVID-19 vaccines, there are essentially no concurrent use studies," Paul A. Offit, MD, says. tells Medscape Medical News.
Traditionally, how a new vaccine might interact with existing vaccines is studied before the product is cleared for use. That was not the case, however, with the COVID-19 vaccines made available through emergency use authorization.
The researchers found no major safety concerns with combining the vaccines, Rajaram said. In addition to safety, the current study aimed to see if either vaccine changed the effectiveness of the other.
"It's a small study, but it's certainly encouraging to know that there didn't seem to be a big decrease in [effectiveness] either way and the safety profile was similar. Not identical, but similar," addsOffit, the director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Some adverse events were more common in the co-administration group. For example, soreness at the injection site was reported by 70% compared to 58% for those who got the COVID-19 shot alone. The same was true for pain at the injection site, 40% vs 29%; fatigue, 28% vs 19%; and muscle pain, 28% vs 21%.
Rates of side events that required medical care, and serious adverse events were low and well-balanced between groups.

A Boost for Booster Vaccines?​

The research could carry implications for future COVID-19 booster shots, Gregory A. Poland, MD, an internist and part of the Vaccine Research Group at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, says.
"Overall, the study results are reassuring and of potential practical importance if we have to give booster doses. It will make it easier to give them both in one visit," says Poland, who was not affiliated with the research.
Although Novavax could be positioning itself as a logical choice for a COVID-19 booster based on the findings, Offit believes it is more important to focus on having more COVID-19 vaccine options available.
"There may be, as we say at the track, 'courses for horses,'" he says, meaning that different vaccines may be better suited for different situations.

"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally get mine late September or early October for the reason you mentioned and want it to last through “flu season”.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally get mine late September or early October for the reason you mentioned and want it to last through “flu season”.

Yes, waiting til October most likely this year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece became the first family member to contract Covid. She returned home after a trip from Seattle then tested positive. She's fully vaccinated. She works in a hospital as a Pharmacist so don't know when or where she contracted the virus.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunday will be my last day on all the meds and I actually feel pretty damn good. I can breathe quite well and sense of smell is coming back (I can smell subtle things again!) I'm a little dizzy, a little tired. I worked out and was OK afterwards (it was really a minor workout!)

@Dancing Fire I sincerely wish your niece an uneventful recovery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece became the first family member to contract Covid. She returned home after a trip from Seattle then tested positive. She's fully vaccinated. She works in a hospital as a Pharmacist so don't know when or where she contracted the virus.

Sorry about this @Dancing Fire I hope her case is very mild. Did she fly to Seattle? Perhaps she caught it on the plane. Hope she recovers quickly.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to hear that. At least she is vaccinated so symptoms are not as bad as they could have been. I hop she is better soon.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunday will be my last day on all the meds and I actually feel pretty damn good. I can breathe quite well and sense of smell is coming back (I can smell subtle things again!) I'm a little dizzy, a little tired. I worked out and was OK afterwards (it was really a minor workout!)

@Dancing Fire I sincerely wish your niece an uneventful recovery.

That’s great news. Hopefully you will improve quickly now. Any word on your husband? My adult daughter finally decided to get the vaccine and got her first shot today. I’m very relieved.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s great news. Hopefully you will improve quickly now. Any word on your husband? My adult daughter finally decided to get the vaccine and got her first shot today. I’m very relieved.

Nothing yet, but we're remining hopeful for sometime today or tomorrow. He did his at CVS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results