shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus Update - June 2021 - please add yours!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my vaccine in April in preparation to see my grandma this August. She fell and ended up with kidney failure the day after my birthday. She passed within a week on May 1st but I was able to travel to see her. The hospital would not allow anyone but my uncle because he was the one who initially came. That made me angry because by the time it was decided to bring her home for hospice she was already incoherent. We had one period of about 20 mins in the 2.5 days she was home where it seemed she was lucid but couldn't speak. That was in the middle of the night and it was my turn to be with her. I woke everyone up and we were glad to have that time. She was able to converse while in the hospital and the doctor at least forced them to let my mom in to be with her. Not me or my sister though which I will never forgive. I feel for anyone who has experienced the same.

Terribly upsetting. Sorry for your loss RW.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two younger daughters ages 12 and 15, had their 2nd dose of the covid vaccine in Monday. So far they have been fine with no symptoms. Now I’m just waiting for them to approve the vaccine for my 10 year old and then the whole household will be vaccinated.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my vaccine in April in preparation to see my grandma this August. She fell and ended up with kidney failure the day after my birthday. She passed within a week on May 1st but I was able to travel to see her. The hospital would not allow anyone but my uncle because he was the one who initially came. That made me angry because by the time it was decided to bring her home for hospice she was already incoherent. We had one period of about 20 mins in the 2.5 days she was home where it seemed she was lucid but couldn't speak. That was in the middle of the night and it was my turn to be with her. I woke everyone up and we were glad to have that time. She was able to converse while in the hospital and the doctor at least forced them to let my mom in to be with her. Not me or my sister though which I will never forgive. I feel for anyone who has experienced the same.

I’m so sorry this happened and I’m sorry for your loss!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
No mask for the vaccinated, fine, but now NY will lift mask mandate for school as of Monday. With younger kids not yet vaccinated and only 3 weeks left of the school year, who thought this would be the perfect time to just throw all caution to the wind? I admit I'm generally extra cautious but I just don't understand the logic since the kids are still unprotected.

Oh wow! I hadn’t heard that. I hope Illinois doesn’t follow suit. That’s just completely idiotic. Not only for the children’s health (maybe they don’t die at alarming rates but I have to wonder what potential long term effects there might be to their bodies) but the potential to breed a vaccine resistant variant. It’s not looking like we will have a vaccine for the little kids until maybe November. Why couldn’t they wait until that was at least available to kids?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I hadn’t heard that. I hope Illinois doesn’t follow suit. That’s just completely idiotic. Not only for the children’s health (maybe they don’t die at alarming rates but I have to wonder what potential long term effects there might be to their bodies) but the potential to breed a vaccine resistant variant. It’s not looking like we will have a vaccine for the little kids until maybe November. Why couldn’t they wait until that was at least available to kids?
Same Q I have about this experimental vaccine on our teenagers and kids.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Same Q I have about this experimental vaccine on our teenagers and kids.

It’s not experimental. But ok. We are definitely not going to agree.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pls stay safe and protect your family and loved ones by wearing masks. In Singapore we are having a wave caused by the delta/Indian variant and it’s a lot more infectious than previous variants (including kids). I personally believe that any country that takes the new variant lightly is at risk of a new wave.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pharma execs are mixing up Covid shots​

AstraZeneca with Pfizer? J&J and Moderna? Some veterans of the pharma industry reckon you’ll get stronger immunity to Covid with two different vaccine doses than with two of the same, and tried it out on themselves.
Pierre Morgon crossed a border to do it, driving a couple of hours from his home in Lausanne, Switzerland, to a pharmacy in Lyon, France, for an Astra shot. He followed back in his home country almost eight weeks later with a dose of Moderna’s.
“If you prime the immune system with a certain technology, you get a broader, higher and more lasting response if you boost with something aiming at the same target but based on a different technology,” says Morgon, a senior vice president at vaccine developer CanSino Biologics who also sits on the board of companies including Vaccitech and Univercells

The approach is based on recent studies and years of research on mixing vaccines for diseases like Ebola, HIV and hepatitis. A study of almost 700 people in Spain showed that those who received a second dose of Pfizer’s vaccine after a first Astra shot saw their neutralizing antibodies climb sevenfold, significantly higher than those who had two Astra doses.
A much smaller trial in Germany recently suggested that mixing Astra and Pfizer shots could trigger antibody responses almost four times higher than a two-dose course of just the Pfizer vaccine.
Bill Enright, chief executive officer of Vaccitech, which designed the technology behind the Astra vaccine, also took his regimen into his own hands. In Maryland, he got a J&J shot—intended as a one-shot regimen—before following up three months later with a Pfizer dose.
Learning how to pair up vaccine types safely and effectively could be an important step toward solving global supply issues, allowing governments with scant stocks of multiple shots to mix and match.
After concerns about rare blood clots arose regarding Astra’s vaccine, a few European countries have already followed first doses of that vaccine with an mRNA version, like those made by Moderna and Pfizer. Still, the approach is unlikely to be approved formally for months, let alone encouraged.
“Until a scheme is approved by authorities, it is a little bit experimental,” said Morgon. “But we’re not sorcerers. We’re not playing with our lives here, we’re applying existing science and our understanding of the coronavirus vaccines.”—Todd Gillespie

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m so sorry @redwood66…My heart goes out to you and your family..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 I'm sorry your family went through that.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I have expected, UK's so-called 'Freedom Day' has been postponed by 4 weeks.

I would rather wait a bit longer than to see a repeat of the dreadful December 2020!

Yes I am disappointed that our borders were not closed sooner, allowing sufficient number of people with the Indian/Delta variant to arrive in UK for the variant to spread like weeds amongst certain parts for the country. :roll2:

We are definitely not out of the woods yet.

A young friend who has yet to have his first dose of vaccine in his late 20s contracted Covid-19 recently. He appears to be recovering well.

DK :confused2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latest UK Vaccination figures :

43,448,680 82.5% of all adults have had their 1st dose

31,740,115 60.3% of all adults have had both doses

75,188,795 doses of vaccines given so far

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Delta Variant.

We are in a "race between variants and vaccines," said Sarah Zhang at The Atlantic. The Delta coronavirus variant, which fueled India's deadly second wave, has emerged at the same time the Biden administration has conceded it will fall slightly short of its goal of vaccinating 70 percent of adults with at least one dose by July 4. Studies from the U.K. show one dose of the Pfizer vaccine "offers only 34 percent protection" against the Delta variant, while "two doses provide 88 percent." The unvaccinated, who make up 75 percent of the population in some rural counties, have zero protection against Delta, which appears to be twice as infectious as the original virus and "may even cause more severe disease." In Springfield, Missouri, Delta is being blamed this week for a 600 percent spike in COVID-19 hospitalizations.
For the unvaccinated, COVID is becoming "exceedingly more dangerous," said Ashish Jha at The Washington Post. Society is almost fully open; distancing and masks are being forgotten. Meanwhile, Delta is a "triple threat" — more contagious, more deadly, and more capable of overcoming immunity from vaccination or prior coronavirus infection. In states with low vaccination rates such as Mississippi and Wyoming, COVID cases "are likely to spike this summer and fall." Biden should shift his message, said David Holtgrave at CNN, and emphasize that Delta makes "the second dose an urgent matter." The CDC should also direct partially vaccinated people to "follow the same precautions as unvaccinated individuals," including wearing masks and staying out of crowds.
Delta poses a threat, but the numbers show us on a "path to normality," said Ronald Bailey at Reason. Data scientist Youyang Gu, who has tracked COVID's U.S. trajectory with remarkable accuracy, projects that detected new infections will "fall to about 2,000 per day" this summer, down from about 11,000 per day now, before rising again in the winter. If Gu's numbers hold, COVID death rates will be close to those of influenza — an annual average of about 230 a day, or 630 a day at the height of flu season. That's a toll Americans are probably "willing to accept." It all depends on where you live, said Peter Aldhous at BuzzFeed News. In blue states with high vaccination rates, COVID will become rare. But in "conservative strongholds," there may be surges every fall and winter, giving us the "two Americas of COVID."

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my nieces has Covid. I got words but well... they would not be very helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results