shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus Update - June 2021 - please add yours!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had both injections of AZ with no side effect except a sore arm.

England's lifting of final Covid-19 restrictions that is scheduled for 21 June 2021 may be delayed due to the so-called "Indian" variant that appears to be easier and faster to spread than the so-called "Kent" variant.

Friends in the hospitality sector are bracing themselves for a 4-week delay.

Domestic tourism is thriving due to continuing uncertainties with foreign travel.

Although some travelling restrictions have been lifted on UK side, certain EU countries appear to be less keen to welcome the Brits back.

Personally, I am glad to have made the decision not to go camping in France in September 2021 a few months ago, and booked myself a trip at my favourite camp site instead.

I have booked my flights to Vancouver for November 2021 in the hope to go and visit my folks there. Air Canada will permit changes to the flights at no cost for a limited period.

Hopefully, further restrictions will be lifted by then, and if necessary, I shall pay for the PCR tests before and after the trip myself, as long as I do not have to quarantine in a hotel on arrival in Vancouver and when I get back to England.

I do not normally look forward to visiting my mum (and bro), however, it is different this time in that the pandemic has made realise freedom of choice is a privilege that can easily be taken away at the blink of an eye. Time spent with friends and family is precious.

I have booked a trip to Venice for February 2022. It is on my travel bucket list, and I would like to see it before it sinks, just hope the travel restrictions will be minimal by then.

Not strictly related to Covid-19, however, one theatre trip to the Big Smoke as in London has been postponed to September 2021 due to having to look after a bouncy puppy and not due to Covid-19 restrictions. A 2-night tester camping trip has been booked at a camp site near me at the end of June 2021, in the hope the puppy will be ready to go camping by then.

Life is slowly getting back to normal or the new normal, and it feels good to be alive and well.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for starting the June thread @dk168 and the good news is the updates are slowing down meaning less cases and more success stories. Long may that continue.:pray::appl:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I read yesterday that there was only 1 UK Covid death, so a far cry from when the pandemic was at a peak.

Twickenham Rugby stadium was open to anyone wanting to be vaccinated, whatever your age, so hopefully plenty of people took the opportunity to go and get it done.

Although the so called Indian variant seems to be far more easily transmitted, it’s not (so far) resulting in huge amounts of hospitalisations and deaths.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina, I ready earlier today that there were 2 people had died from the Indian variant who had been fully vaccinated.

The news article did not mention which vaccine they had, their age or whether they were from a high risk group with underlying conditions.

DK :confused2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I heard that too @dk168 , with the caveat that they were already pretty frail. No reported Covid deaths yesterday apparently. It’s now called the Delta variant by WHO, because they feel that calling it the Indian variant could stigmatise it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still alive! yippee10.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada has approved mixing of the vaccines.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they’re trialing that here too @missy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they’re trialing that here too @missy

Yes, and hopefully the UK's findings will mirror Canada's and they will soon approve mixing of the vaccines too. I remember when we got our first Moderna vaccine I wanted to get the Pfizer as my second vaccine thinking it might provide better protection if one could mix the vaccines between dose one and two. Perhaps the trials will prove that giving better options (more flexibility) and more thorough protection from Covid 19.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m in Canada and had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Woke up with sore arm. We are a bit behind the US. Hubby had AZ for first but may be mixing for his second.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We've just had lockdown extended in Melbourne, Australia. I had a feeling it would probably happen around this time of the year.

Just glad that FedEx still picks up packages for shipping and my sub contractor work is permitted during these times! :saint:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For me, no choice but to mix.

cheers--Sharon

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No mask for the vaccinated, fine, but now NY will lift mask mandate for school as of Monday. With younger kids not yet vaccinated and only 3 weeks left of the school year, who thought this would be the perfect time to just throw all caution to the wind? I admit I'm generally extra cautious but I just don't understand the logic since the kids are still unprotected.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No mask for the vaccinated, fine, but now NY will lift mask mandate for school as of Monday. With younger kids not yet vaccinated and only 3 weeks left of the school year, who thought this would be the perfect time to just throw all caution to the wind? I admit I'm generally extra cautious but I just don't understand the logic since the kids are still unprotected.

I firmly (as a NYC teacher) think this is a BAD idea. They did leave the choice up to each district. My hope is that most will choose to keep the indoor mandate intact.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The NJ mask mandate was lifted about a week ago and I feel it's too soon....yet, surprisingly I have stopped wearing my mask indoors. I never thought I would do that so soon. And also, surprisingly, the majority of people here are still wearing their masks. So two surprises for me.

HI:

For me, no choice but to mix.

cheers--Sharon

It might prove beneficial for you Sharon because the evidence so far is indicating that mixing the vaccines gives stronger immunity to the Covid virus.

I firmly (as a NYC teacher) think this is a BAD idea. They did leave the choice up to each district. My hope is that most will choose to keep the indoor mandate intact.

Yeah too soon for sure. IDK what they are thinking. Or rather not thinking. If kids are not vaccinated they really should still be wearing a mask until they can get fully vaccinated. :/

We've just had lockdown extended in Melbourne, Australia. I had a feeling it would probably happen around this time of the year.

Just glad that FedEx still picks up packages for shipping and my sub contractor work is permitted during these times! :saint:

Ugh, sorry Jordy. Why was your lockdown extended? Is there another outbreak?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ugh, sorry Jordy. Why was your lockdown extended? Is there another outbreak?

We had a few cases in our state after a couple months of no community transmission, there were two new cases of concern during the first portion of the lockdown that caused the lockdown to be extended - however it's come back that they were false positives. We're still in lockdown though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a few cases in our state after a couple months of no community transmission, there were two new cases that caused the lockdown to be extended however it's come back that they were false positives. We're still in lockdown though.

I like how cautious your country is...better safe than sorry and now that the cases were shown to be false positive hopefully you will be out of lockdown soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the NYT.
The Dangerous Delta Variant.

"
Good morning. Covid cases are rising in Britain — and U.S. trends may soon follow.​

mail
A line outside a vaccination center in London on Saturday.Henry Nicholls/Reuters​

The Delta danger​

Britain has had one of the world’s most successful Covid-19 responses in recent months.​
Unlike the European Union, the British government understood that quickly obtaining vaccine doses mattered more than negotiating the lowest price. Unlike the United States, Britain was willing to impose nationwide restrictions again late last year to reduce caseloads. British officials also chose to maximize first vaccine shots and delay second shots, recognizing that the strategy could more quickly reduce Covid cases.​
Thanks to these moves, Covid has retreated more quickly in Britain than in almost any other country. Fewer than 10 Britons per day have been dying in recent weeks, down from 1,200 a day in late January. On a per-capita basis, Britain’s death rate last month was less than one-tenth the U.S. rate.​
Despite this success, Britain is now coping with a rise in Covid cases. The main cause appears to be the highly infectious virus variant known as Delta, which was first detected in India. Britain’s recent moves to reopen society also probably play a role.​
The increase is a reminder that progress against the pandemic — even extreme progress — does not equal ultimate victory. Britain’s experience also suggests that cases may soon rise in the U.S. “What we’re seeing in U.K. is very likely to show up in other Western countries soon,” The Financial Times’s John Burn-Murdoch wrote.​

How bad is it?​

Relative to where Britain was in January, the recent increase in Covid cases is tiny:​
mail
By The New York Times | Sources: Government and health agencies of the United Kingdom​
But there is still cause for concern. As small as it may look on that chart, new Covid cases have more than doubled over the past month, to more than 4,000 a day from about 2,000 a day.​
Pandemics feed on themselves, in both directions. When new caseloads are falling, it increases the chances that they will continue to fall, because fewer newly infected people are able to spread the virus to others. When caseloads are rising, the opposite occurs.​
With about 40 percent of Britons still having not received a vaccine shot, the recent increase has the potential to get significantly worse. The country is at a “pivotal moment,” as Dr. Chaand Nagpaul of the British Medical Association told the BBC.​

Will deaths rise?​

Fortunately, the current surge is almost certain to cause less death than previous outbreaks, because most people vulnerable to serious illness have already been vaccinated. About 90 percent of Britons 65 and older have received both shots. And the vaccines continue to look effective against the Delta variant, researchers say.​
For now, deaths have barely risen, and it’s possible that they will not rise much; the Covid death rate for people under 40 has been very low. But it is too soon to know. Covid death trends typically trail case trends by a few weeks. If the Delta variant ends up being significantly more severe, it could cause an increase in deaths.​
“There are reasons to be hopeful — we’re not seeing a big trend in hospital admissions — but it’s early days,” James Naismith, who runs the Rosalind Franklin Institute, a research center, told The Times. “If we don’t see anything by June 14, we can exhale.”​
British officials are debating whether to stick to their earlier plan to remove all activity restrictions on June 21 or push back that date.​

First shots vs. second​

One unknown about the vaccines is the ideal delay between the two shots (for those vaccines that require two, as most do). The U.S. staggers the shots by only a few weeks, while Britain has made people wait up to 12 weeks for the second one. Overall, Britain’s strategy appears to have worked better.​
But the Delta variant is adding a wrinkle. Data suggests that it is more contagious than the original virus and more likely to infect people who have had only one shot.​
I have noticed some confusion on social media and in news accounts about what this means. It does not necessarily mean that Britain’s strategy has been a mistake. Obviously, two shots are better than one for every version of the virus. Yet that’s not the choice countries face.​
The choice they face is which to prioritize: first shots or second shots. Any dose given as a second shot is unavailable to be given as a first shot, and vice versa. The evidence continues to suggest that first shots make a bigger difference than second shots, including for the Delta variant, Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, told me.​
But the Delta variant does call for some changes in Britain, many scientists say. The country is accelerating second shots for vulnerable people. And people who have received only one shot should not behave as if they are vaccinated, said Devi Sridhar of the University of Edinburgh.​

Three U.K. lessons​

I see three main lessons from Britain’s recent rise in cases:​
One, vaccines are still the most effective way, by far, to defeat this terrible pandemic. Nothing matters more than the speed at which shots go into arms — in Britain, in the U.S. and especially in poorer countries, where vaccination rates are still low.​
Two, behavior restrictions can still play a role in the interim. If hospitalizations or deaths in Britain rise over the next two weeks, there will be a strong argument for pushing back the full reopening of activities. And that has obvious implications for the U.S., too. Restricting indoor activities for unvaccinated people is particularly important.​
Three, caseloads are no longer as important a measure as they used to be. Before the vaccines were available, more cases inevitably meant more hospitalizations and deaths. Now, the connection is more uncertain. As a recent Times story put it, paraphrasing British scientists, “upticks in new infections are tolerable so long as the vast majority do not lead to serious illness or death.”​
Over the next couple of weeks, I promise to to keep you updated on Britain and the Delta variant.​

"

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Received an update from the district tonight. They'll continue with mask mandate for indoors but will stop requiring them during outdoor activities. It's better than the worst case I feared, altho I still wish they at least finished out the year without changes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to the OECD, New Zealand ranks 115th in the world for the pace of its vaccine rollout and second to last in the OECD itself, a club of advanced economies.
pathetic!
thank God we are surrounded by ocean

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the OECD, New Zealand ranks 115th in the world for the pace of its vaccine rollout and second to last in the OECD itself, a club of advanced economies.
pathetic!
thank God we are surrounded by ocean

Daisy forgive the thread jack please but FYI Bruce Springsteen is back on Broadway!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daisy forgive the thread jack please but FYI Bruce Springsteen is back on Broadway!

i know !!!!!!!
its very excitting !!!!!!
ive been thinking about it all day !

i won't be able to go but im so excitted for the US fans - its a bigger theatre than the initial run so hopefully it won't be sold out to hollywood elete who could afford huge prices / or get tickets for free
i want every US fan who wants to, to be able to go, regular Joes

and its wonderful the best most important city in the world is starting to open up again
all those theatre workers will have work again
people will come to NYC and spend their money

its win win

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my vaccine in April in preparation to see my grandma this August. She fell and ended up with kidney failure the day after my birthday. She passed within a week on May 1st but I was able to travel to see her. The hospital would not allow anyone but my uncle because he was the one who initially came. That made me angry because by the time it was decided to bring her home for hospice she was already incoherent. We had one period of about 20 mins in the 2.5 days she was home where it seemed she was lucid but couldn't speak. That was in the middle of the night and it was my turn to be with her. I woke everyone up and we were glad to have that time. She was able to converse while in the hospital and the doctor at least forced them to let my mom in to be with her. Not me or my sister though which I will never forgive. I feel for anyone who has experienced the same.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my vaccine in April in preparation to see my grandma this August. She fell and ended up with kidney failure the day after my birthday. She passed within a week on May 1st but I was able to travel to see her. The hospital would not allow anyone but my uncle because he was the one who initially came. That made me angry because by the time it was decided to bring her home for hospice she was already incoherent. We had one period of about 20 mins in the 2.5 days she was home where it seemed she was lucid but couldn't speak. That was in the middle of the night and it was my turn to be with her. I woke everyone up and we were glad to have that time. She was able to converse while in the hospital and the doctor at least forced them to let my mom in to be with her. Not me or my sister though which I will never forgive. I feel for anyone who has experienced the same.

I am very sorry for your loss. It is terrible.

Big hugs,
Deb

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so sorry @redwood66. There is no good reason IMO it was handled this way by the hospital. In many ways (IMO) healthcare institutions have taken advantage of Covid. By refusing access to those who are ill and dying. No one should have to die alone yet that is exactly what happened to many thousands of people. Especially now there is no excuse. Loved ones should be able to say goodbye and not have access restricted. It is reprehensible and inhumane.:(

When my mother in law was dying (June 2020) we were granted visitation at the hospital and Greg's 2 brothers flew in from other states to be there. It was a battle to let them all visit her at once. The hospital was only allowing 5 minute visits one at a time. She was unconscious but we believed she could hear us and we felt it critical for all 3 boys to say goodbye to her together. Because knowing they were all there at the same time would give her peace. And so I went to battle and after escalating it and insisting to speak with the hospital supervisor I was able to get the boys in there together. It shouldn't have been so difficult. The hospital was basically empty as this was during peak Covid and it was in a wing of the hospital specifically for those who were dying and we were all masked up and no one else was around. My MIL had but a few hours left. So it's not like she was going to get infected with Covid. And I know in my heart she heard them and it brought her peace to have her boys saying goodbye and that they were together.

Sorry this just brings up a very sad and difficult time that so many people have gone through and are still going through and hospitals just making it worse by restricting access when access could easily be given in a safe manner. Especially now when we are vaccinated.

I am very sorry for your loss and I am glad you got to say goodbye to your grandma.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy . I am sorry for your loss as well and that you had to fight just to say goodbye together. We have all been vaccinated and were masked but they wouldn't let my sister or I in at all. My mom and uncle were supposed to be making medical decisions together and how is that supposed to happen when my mom can't see her? It is so reprehensible that this happens to anyone and the doctors were very angry as well.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
covid vacination programme is so cr*p here
we don't live in Dunedin (saddly) its my home town
but if its like that there its probably like that everywhere except perhaps South Auckland

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 , Sorry to hear the news about your grandma. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results