shape
carat
color
clarity

Corollary question to proposing to your boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
Is anyone planning on doing something equally meaningful and romantic for their boyfriend when/after he proposes to show how happy you are to join your life with his?

Would it include a meaningful present?

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m definitely a fan of getting the guy an engagement present. No ideas about what, though -- I know I''d prefer to find something wearable (but not a ring, because I don''t think he''d be into having another ring besides the wedding band we''ll pick out). If B weren''t so picky about the watch he wears, I''d probably get him a nice new one.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Soooo... my boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and absolutely loves making things (like... robots). Every time I mention getting married or having a house in the future or anything like that, he asks when he can have his machine shop.

He''s got a couple pieces of equipment, but really wants a mill. I know he could afford it if he wasn''t buying me a ring, so I''m thinking we''ll go pick out a mill for him as an engagement present... I''ll have the money still, and it''s only fair!

(But he''s got to pick it out because I know less about mills than he knows about rings...
9.gif
)

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I mentioned this in another thread awhile back (I''d search for you but i completely forget what the thread was about!), but I''m planning on getting my FI a puppy sometime in the next few months! I never had a pet growing up and he ALWAYS had dogs as a child, so this will be my special gift for him. We are considering either a Wheaten Terrier or a mini Goldendoodle.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Engagement gifts are often discussed on here, as well as reciprocal ''proposals.'' Popular gifts seem to be televisions, gaming systems, golf equipment, nice watches, cars, motorcycles, etc.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Nah, it might be meaningful to me, but it wouldn''t be meaningful to my fiance -- he''s not that sentimental, especially about objects. And he doesn''t like receiving presents for any occasion (birthdays, Christmas, etc.), so he wouldn''t want an engagement gift.
I told him the other day that I felt bad that he didn''t have an engagement ring, too, because I love my sparkly so much, and his response was, "Yeah honey, I think I''m okay."

We tell each other pretty frequently how much we love each other and can''t wait to marry, so a reciprocal proposal isn''t necessary; it''s pretty great just knowing that we''re on the same page and excited to spend our lives together.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t propose, but I did give my husband a kitten about a month after he proposed - it was on the anniversary of when we first started dating. I also brought a card to the proposal...I had this feeling that he was going to propose, and I wanted to be able to say something loving and meaningful as a surprise, too!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about getting SO a ring - a post engagement ring haah. Idk, I know he''ll have his wedding ring when we get married, but why shouldnt he have something to wear if he chooses too that also signifies our engagement? Nothing fancy or thick or done up, just a simple band maybe with some more casual detailing. I figured I''d keep it wrapped up in my wallet until whenever he proposes and then I could give it to him. With some couples this would just be a horridly cheesey idea, but I really feel like SO is going to appreciate it when I surprise him with it after he surprises me and proposes.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:26:38 PM
Author: TheBigT
I told him the other day that I felt bad that he didn''t have an engagement ring, too, because I love my sparkly so much, and his response was, ''Yeah honey, I think I''m okay.''
Lol! What a BOY response
3.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:39:23 PM
Author: musey
Date: 3/10/2009 9:26:38 PM

Author: TheBigT

I told him the other day that I felt bad that he didn''t have an engagement ring, too, because I love my sparkly so much, and his response was, ''Yeah honey, I think I''m okay.''

Lol! What a BOY response
3.gif

No kidding! It''s along the lines of "I don''t understand why you need SO many handbags." (I also just asked him if he''d marry me and he was like, "That''s kind of been taken care of, so don''t go thinking that was your original thought!"
3.gif
)

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
Once he has given me a ring, I''ll make him lots and lots of brownie; it''s his favorite dessert.

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
Fi has been whining about a Tag watch for a while now. We looked at some at Macy''s before Christmas and he even picked out one he liked, hoping he could guilt me into buying it for a Christmas present. I said no way, I can''t afford it. He proceeded to complain about the expense of my ring compared to the watch, blah blah money, etc. I just kept my mouth shut and let him get it off his chest. I went back to Macy''s on NYE and bought the watch but he has no idea. I thought we (my family & I) would give it to him at the engagement party, but I''d never heard of a "reciprocal proposal" until now. It sounds like a nice sentimental way to surprise him with it.

The cool thing about the watch is that it has a nice diamond bezel to keep with the diamonds & engagement theme.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:22:11 PM
Author: somegirl932
Soooo... my boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and absolutely loves making things (like... robots). Every time I mention getting married or having a house in the future or anything like that, he asks when he can have his machine shop.

He''s got a couple pieces of equipment, but really wants a mill. I know he could afford it if he wasn''t buying me a ring, so I''m thinking we''ll go pick out a mill for him as an engagement present... I''ll have the money still, and it''s only fair!

(But he''s got to pick it out because I know less about mills than he knows about rings...
9.gif
)

thats cute, somegirl.

I think i will get E either a watch (he desperately needs one) or a snowboard.

msprincess

Rough_Rock
im definitely getting him an engagement present. i asked him what he would want and he wants a lazyboy chair. LOL

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I never thought about it until now, but it makes sense!!!!!
I may get him a new x-box. He also needs and wants a new car, so maybe some money down for the car. I just don't know if that'd be tacky, lol
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if there is something he really wanted, yes, I''d probably get it for him to make him happy.

but I can''t really see us doing anything more meaningful than his proposal...

PrincessLily2009

Rough_Rock
BF has gone back and forth about wanting an engagement ring. If he decides against it, then I will probably buy him a watch or necklace. I know he''d rather have a television or gaming system, but I really want it to be something he can keep for always.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would give him a pampering day!

Like go do an activity he would want to do, make him dinner ( I never make him food lol). I''m not sure if I''d give him something to wear though.. still thinking about that one! Maybe a watch?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh I'll give him something
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

(I just realized- that kinda sounded like a tlh response)

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
These are all such great ideas. I love the getting a pet together because I think it shows commitment to nurturing something together.

Since we are going in together on the engagement ring (my grandmother''s diamond, but reset by him), I personally don''t feel the need to get an expensive gift for him. I''m thinking more on the line of a keepsake item. Years ago, a friend and her husband made a bound book of their relationship up to the point engagement. It included photos and other meaningful to them items. I''m a big memento saver and think I could put something together.

Does this sound too girly?

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:22:09 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Oh I''ll give him something
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

(I just realized- that kinda sounded like a tlh response)

LOL I totally thought tlh would say something like that!!!!!!

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
gryffindor, what a sweetheart you are! He''ll be so excited to get the watch, especially since he didn''t even think you were paying attention to him at the time!

That said, I don''t think I''m nearly as nice. I brought up the idea to bf once and he kind of shut me down, so now I just joke with him about ridiculous presents I''m going to buy to celebrate the engagement- like his and hers matching fur coats. Not quite sure he appreciates this, ha. I''d like to get him ''something'', but he doesn''t really go for stuff very much. Ugh, who knows- maybe I''ll have some great idea between now and then... I''m sure I have plenty of time to think about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results