shape
carat
color
clarity

Cookware advice please!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking of getting some new cookware. I'm currently using a non-stick set that, while nice, is a hand me down, and doesn't really have all of the pieces I want, and it's gotten kinda scratched through out its service, not only at my house, but at my mom's before that.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for, to be honest. I'd like something that will still be made in a few years, should I need to expand the collection (unlike what I have now, the company went out of business several years ago). I'd like to not spend my life savings, but I'm ok with splurging a bit, especially if it has a good warranty. Not sure if I want non-stick, cast iron, stainless.....No clue there. I don't cook super-often, (2-3 times a week?) but I'm hoping better tools will help encourage me to cook more often.

What brand/type of cookware do you have? Are you happy with it? What was the price range you checked out when purchasing?

Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are stainless steel ones from Paderno Grand Gourmet Series 1100, bought via stockists in the UK, some back in 1997 and added more in 2006, beautifully made, and still good as new after all these years.

I came across them in a homeware shop and fell in love with the range.

I joked with my then husband that I would not ask for anything from him if we were to part, except for the saucepans, and I did take them with me when we parted a few years later.

I don't like to use non-stick except for frying pans (I seldom use the two I have from Paderno nowadays due to difficult in cleaning them). I used to spend a lot of money on frying pans with coatings that could withstand metal utensils, and was not impressed with them, so I don't bother with those anymore, and get one for around 10-15 GBP and replace it whenever I need to.

I am quite impressed with the newer pans with ceramic coatings, and may get a frying pan to see if they are as good as they say in the adverts.

IMHO, good stainless steel ones are built to last a life time. Check out catering equipment suppliers for inspirations.

Good luck with your purchase.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I forgot to mention other brands that I like, such as Bourgeat and Le Pentole.

I also like the ones by Alessi, especially the Mami range, however, one would pay extra for the "designer" tag.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want clad stainless, I use the Cuisinart line. I also own All Clad but its a fraction of the price and I see no difference in quality.

For non-stick I use Calphalon picked up from discount stores (like TJMaxx or Ross) it will last you a few years if you are hard on it, usually pay about $20-$30 a piece.

I have a cast iron skillet (no name) which is good when you want the combo of high heat and something less sticky than stainless. However it really does not transfer heat as well as aluminum or clad stainless steel.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally do not like having studs on the inner surfaces of my pans and prefer smooth finish, as I find them difficult to clean thoroughly.

I prefer all SS construction, this way, I can stick them in the oven or under the grill without worrying about melting the handles.

BTW, a Paderno GG 1100 16cm saucepan + Lid was priced at 67 GBP in the UK as an indication on price.

One does not need to buy all the pans in one hit, other pieces can be added at a later date.

I would advise on a starter set consisting of 3 saucepans and a stock pot, plus a frying pan or two.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my old cast iron skillets, look for used ones at garage sales, and my newer French DeBuyer pans.
Many restaurants use these heavy no-nonsense work horses.

http://www.debuyer.com/product.php?id=14&cat=14&background=bleu1

Since they are carbon steel you season them after each use, and never use soap just like an old cast-iorn skillet.
It's a different routine you must follow, but very little trouble once you get it down.

Over time the non-stick seasoning builds up and they become cherished old friends.

No teflon to wear out or to give off fumes that kill your birds. :knockout:

debuyer.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My woks are carbon steel, and needed to be seasoned and looked after as Kenny described.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I prefer stainless steel pots (yay, steel wool proof!) with clear lids and plastic lid handles. I like to see how it's going, I like to take the top off without an oven mitt. I have a couple of Wearever pots that I like.

I like my frying pans to be non-stick, and I think Circulon is the most durable.

Sometimes I need a big pot for making jam (which will burn RIGHT THROUGH a lesser pot--I know because I've done it! :shock: ) and I use LeCreuset. Their outlet stores sometimes have sales, and I've found one big piece fills all my needs.

I've never really found a "set" which will do everything that I want. I tried that when I was young, but the frying pans needed replacement, some of the darker stuff (like All Clad) gets so grungy, I just gave up and started picking and choosing favorites.

Just so you know, the FDA has banned Teflon, and it should be out of the market by 2015.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Emerilware set!

Bought it in 2004 and still going strong with heavy use. I got the entire set for under $200 (I think with my coupon came in at $99+tax?). Stainless steel with a copper bottom. Comes with see-through lids.

Not sure if the current line is the same sort of quality because I haven't gone looking. My set is pretty well complete and I've only added a couple of random pieces over the last almost 10 years.

I cook LOTS -- Every day at least one meal, usually more. These just toss in the dishwasher and are good to go. You can also boil water in them and pretty much just wipe them clean if you prefer.

I am NOT easy on them! Lids go in the oven (sometimes as high as 450!). Pans go straight from refrigerator to stove top or hot oven.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I've been leaning towards stainless, and it seems like a popular option around here.

dk168 said:
I personally do not like having studs on the inner surfaces of my pans and prefer smooth finish, as I find them difficult to clean thoroughly.

I prefer all SS construction, this way, I can stick them in the oven or under the grill without worrying about melting the handles.

I would advise on a starter set consisting of 3 saucepans and a stock pot, plus a frying pan or two.

Thanks, I agree about the "stuff" on the inner surface, it definitely makes things tough to clean! Great suggestion with starting small and working up, also. It makes me nervous to buy a whole set I've never tried, and risk not liking it.

kenny said:

Agreed! My Sun Conure thanks you for the reminder. Do you prefer the cast iron over the stainless? I'm a bit nervous about choosing stainless, unless it were enameled on the outside, as I have a glass/ceramic cook top.

iLander said:
I prefer stainless steel pots (yay, steel wool proof!) with clear lids and plastic lid handles. I like to see how it's going, I like to take the top off without an oven mitt. I have a couple of Wearever pots that I like.

Sometimes I need a big pot for making jam (which will burn RIGHT THROUGH a lesser pot--I know because I've done it! :shock: ) and I use LeCreuset. Their outlet stores sometimes have sales, and I've found one big piece fills all my needs.

Just so you know, the FDA has banned Teflon, and it should be out of the market by 2015.

Thanks, iLander! I agree totally with the clear tops and handles you can grab without mitts. That's one thing I really like about my current set, though I have broken a handle or two and rendered them totally useless. I'm not one to do jams/fancy stuff like that, but I am a bit careless on occasion. And, re: Teflon: It's about damn time! I've been reading how toxic it can be for years, and many a bird owners have lost cherished family member to burning a pan. Scary!

TooPatient said:
I love my Emerilware set!

Bought it in 2004 and still going strong with heavy use. I got the entire set for under $200 (I think with my coupon came in at $99+tax?). Stainless steel with a copper bottom. Comes with see-through lids.

Not sure if the current line is the same sort of quality because I haven't gone looking. My set is pretty well complete and I've only added a couple of random pieces over the last almost 10 years.

I cook LOTS -- Every day at least one meal, usually more. These just toss in the dishwasher and are good to go. You can also boil water in them and pretty much just wipe them clean if you prefer.

I am NOT easy on them! Lids go in the oven (sometimes as high as 450!). Pans go straight from refrigerator to stove top or hot oven.

Thanks, TooPatient! I'd really like to get to the point of cooking that often, but so far our schedules have not made that easy. :roll: Most days, the husband and I get to wave at each other as I head home as he's going in to work each day. Glad to hear your set has worked so well for you!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Manderz, I'm not sure if you have AMC Cookware where you are?

My family swears by the range. Nearly all my aunts have a set of AMC pots and my cousins are already bickering (jokingly, but bickering all the same) about who gets them when their parents pass. They're not the cheapest pots (no idea what they cost in the US) but everyone who uses them here loves them. When my mother died a couple of years ago we gave her AMC pots to her best friend and despite years of heavy use they still looked as good as new.

I'm shocked to hear about the FDA banning Teflon - I hope we'll soon do the same.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1382841971|3545378 said:
kenny said:

Agreed! My Sun Conure thanks you for the reminder. Do you prefer the cast iron over the stainless? I'm a bit nervous about choosing stainless, unless it were enameled on the outside, as I have a glass/ceramic cook top. .

I greatly prefer cast iron and my de Buyer carbon steel pans to stainless steel for skillets because the surface ages to a very effective non-stick coating.
I never use a stainless steel fry pan because they stick and do not build up seasoning.

Unlike stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron will both rust if not cared for properly.

For saucepans, like for boiling eggs or pasts, I use stainless steel Revereware or Farberware.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have the Cuisinart Multiclad set and love it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't say enough good things about my All Clad cookware! I am always amazed at the way everything in a skillet cooks and browns the same way (evenly) and how beautiful it is when cleaned up. I was a hesitant convert but there is no looking back for me!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the US, in a small town in NY, which makes it a bit difficult, as the only places I can get cookware are places like WalMart, or JCPenney's, or the real bargain places. For stuff like this, I'm a very visual person, and really prefer to check things out before a purchase like this, so it's going to be a long-term thing where I buy a pan or two when I go out of town (the closest TJMaxx/kitchen specialty store is Buffalo NY, about an hour and a half away :roll: ).

So, it seems like Carbon steel, and cast iron (would have to be enameled) are the way to go? Thanks for all the food for thought, everyone. I've still got plenty of research to do, but you all have given me great direction, which is a huge step in the right direction. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed! So. Many. Options!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use calphalon and le creuset.
not a non-stick pan type of person although I have 2....rarely use them.
my calphalon is older and mostly nonexistent "commercial" line.
you can get less expensive enameled cast iron but i'm not sure the warranty is as good.
I found that having proper pots and pans gave me an appreciation for cooking that I didn't have before!
eta: if i'm going to fry an egg that gets done in an ancient black cast iron pan.
I tried frying an egg once in my all-clad stainless pan and never tried to do it again!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree completely! I got a great knife set a few years ago, and that made a significant difference on my enjoyment of cooking, and made me want to do it more often. I'm hoping better cookware will do the same. I cook a lot of eggs, so it sounds like I'll be needing at least one or two cast iron pans, and then maybe a steel set, that I piece together from open stock. The sets all seem like there's stuff that I never would use, so it seems silly to spend the money to have stuff that just sits there.

I have been lusting for this specific pan, and have been keeping an eye out for a good price.
http://store.calphalon.com/simply-calphalon-enamel-cast-iron-panini-pan-red/413551

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1382889487|3545593 said:
I use calphalon and le creuset.
not a non-stick pan type of person although I have 2....rarely use them.
my calphalon is older and mostly nonexistent "commercial" line.
you can get less expensive enameled cast iron but i'm not sure the warranty is as good.
I found that having proper pots and pans gave me an appreciation for cooking that I didn't have before!
eta: if i'm going to fry an egg that gets done in an ancient black cast iron pan.
I tried frying an egg once in my all-clad stainless pan and never tried to do it again!

+1. Staub is also an excellent choice.

I also do not use nor favour non-stick cookware for all the reasons previously listed. Besides the "non-stick" wears quickly and looks unsightly when scratched.

cheers--Sharon

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as a general guideline, I reach for carbon steel and cast iron skillets for dry cooking, especially high heat. Stainless for saucepans (tri ply) and soup/stock pots (good quality disc bottom ok if you're on a budget) for wet cooking, and one largish 12" stainless saute pan with lid as an all-rounder. One nonstick pan for eggs at low-medium heat.I have an enamel cast iron dutch oven that I never reach for.

That panino grill pan is sooo beautiful! I would definitely pick it up after your essential pieces. though. First, the parts that are enameled (bottom, sides, handle) are the parts that are the easiest to keep seasoned. I wipe the bottom surface of my cast iron with a layer of oil if I see a little rust develop, and it is good to go, easy peasy. Second, grill pans only give you half the surface area for browning, making it inferior to a real grill or regular flat cast iron pan.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are wise NOT to buy a set!
decide what you want/need/will use and purchase during "sales"/promotions.
i've even seen pieces of le creuset at Ross and/or Marshall's.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I'd not pay a penny for enamel coating on the outside of a pan and would never want enamel coating on the inside of a pan.
It really drives the price up and adds zero function.
Purely cosmetic.

Yup, people vary.
I have other things to spend that money on.
If enamel coating is worth it to you fine, but you asked for our opinions.

I think butt-ugly cast iron or carbon steel pans which become seasoned on the inside and outside are the most attractive pans of all because their appearance is 100% function.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
We have the calphalon triply stainless and LOVE it. We use every pan in the set, all the time. It cleans up great, every once in a while we scour with bar keeps friend if we've cooked something that doesn't seem to come off, but in general it washes right up to a sparkling shine.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calphalon-tri-ply-stainless-steel-13-piece-cookware-set?ID=468730&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Cookware_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Generic+-+Cookware_PLA+-+Cookware-_-31118134700_-_-_mkwid_AQSkg2zp|d{device}_31118134700%7C-%7CAQSkg2zp

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to get another set of saucepans for the house, I would buy the entire set of MSR's Alpine Stowaway saucepans with folding handles and lids. MSR is famed for their cookware range within the camping/outdoor activities commuities, and their SS ones are acknowledged as the best on the market.

This way, I can cook/chill without the need to transfer from saucepan to another container, which I can't do with my Paderno's.

Added bonus that they can be stored nested inside: Size 1 in Size 3, Size 2 in Size 4, Size 1 being the smallest.

I have already treated myself to a set for camping use last year, and cannot justify getting more cookware when I am living on my own with just the cat and dog for company!

Besides, the MSRs displaced my cheapo set of SS pans I bought a few years ago, warped after first use as they are quite thin, and I have been using one of them for cook/chill purposes as it has a folding handle and lid.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
You'll laugh. I also live in a small town. I have a collection of vintage Farberware and Revereware from the 1950s & 1960s. Some was my grandmother's but more of it was purchased for $2 - $8 each, $./99 for a lid, at thrift stores in Canonsburg and Washington, PA. My mother has Reverware she got as a wedding present 60 years ago and she has cooked with it daily, sometimes twice daily for the skillets. :lol: The new stuff made in China is run of the mill. But the older stuff is great. Make sure the bottoms are not rounded. I clean them with steel wool SOS or Brillo pad, and then I polish them with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. They look great. have Bakelite handles or some similar phenolic resin and can go in the oven.

I have some of the better Tramontina stainless from WalMart and once skillet from TJ Maxx (bought in late '90s). But it gets hot spots and I don't like it as well as the vintage cookware. None of my pieces are non-stick.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382818041|3545179 said:
I love my old cast iron skillets, look for used ones at garage sales, and my newer French DeBuyer pans.

Since they are carbon steel you season them after each use, and never use soap just like an old cast-iorn skillet.
It's a different routine you must follow, but very little trouble once you get it down.

Over time the non-stick seasoning builds up and they become cherished old friends.

Kenny, how much is a pan like this? I am starting to replace pans that have teflon now that I have kids.

I also have cast iron pans, all clad and cuisinart. My Cuisinart cook the same as the All Clad.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1382920494|3545837 said:

Kenny, how much is a pan like this? I am starting to replace pans that have teflon now that I have kids.

I also have cast iron pans, all clad and cuisinart. My Cuisinart cook the same as the All Clad.

De Buyer Mineral B Round Frypans
Size is the TOP of the pan, bottom is much smaller.
On Amazon:

7.9" $40
10.2" $57
12.6" $80
14.2" $82

http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382920995|3545846 said:
Skippy|1382920494|3545837 said:

De Buyer Mineral B Round Frypans
Size is the TOP of the pan, bottom is much smaller.
On Amazon:

7.9" $40
10.2" $57
12.6" $80
14.2" $82

http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W

the funny thing is my grandma cooked on cast iron and a very similar pan to the DeBuyer most of her life; she lived into her late 80's. I didn't realize it was the same material until I read about it on the amazon link! Interesting. thanks!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1382915581|3545797 said:
Personally I'd not pay a penny for enamel coating on the outside of a pan and would never want enamel coating on the inside of a pan.
Purely cosmetic.

Yup, people vary.

I think butt-ugly cast iron or carbon steel pans which become seasoned on the inside and outside are the most attractive pans of all because their appearance is 100% function.

I have a glass cooktop, so I can't use cast iron unless the outside is enameled. I'd LOVE to not spend the extra money on it, but I'm stuck for the sake of saving my stove.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1382927557|3545897 said:
Purely cosmetic.

Yup, people vary.

I have a glass cooktop, so I can't use cast iron unless the outside is enameled. I'd LOVE to not spend the extra money on it, but I'm stuck for the sake of saving my stove.

Thanks, I learned something. :wavey:
We just have a cheapo gas range.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1382927767|3545898 said:
manderz|1382927557|3545897 said:
Purely cosmetic.

Yup, people vary.

Thanks, I learned something. :wavey:
We just have a cheapo gas range.

I'm jealous of your cheapo gas range :wavey: My house was not set up for gas when we moved in, and the range we found was at a going out of business sale. They had literally 2 or 3 stoves left, that were electric. I grew up cooking on gas, and the last 5 years I've been adjusting not only to electric, but the glass top, too. Learning how to clean it, and what you can and can't do with it has been an adventure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results