shape
carat
color
clarity

converting 'pointers' to mm

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Daft question alert:oops: How do I convert a stone described in 'pointers' into mm?

I want to do a DBTY in yellow zircons and when researching the size of stones that work best, the results mostly talk about pointers and I'm not sure how that converts into mm. I'm also trying to stay within the normal range of DBTY sized stones hoping that my jeweller can just buy the setting for each stone without having to make them individually (i.e staying away from the custom route.). Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daft question alert:oops: How do I convert a stone described in 'pointers' into mm?

I want to do a DBTY in yellow zircons and when researching the size of stones that work best, the results mostly talk about pointers and I'm not sure how that converts into mm. I'm also trying to stay within the normal range of DBTY sized stones hoping that my jeweller can just buy the setting for each stone without having to make them individually (i.e staying away from the custom route.). Thanks!

Perhaps you will find this chart helpful. Just click onto the shape you are interested in and the conversion will show up. Just an estimation however.

https://www.diamondnexus.com/product-education-mm-to-catat-weight-conversion.html

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Points convert to mm depending on the specific gravity (density) of the stone. The mm of 10 point diamond will be less than that of a 10 point emerald since emeralds are less dense. The chart mentioned is specifically for diamonds.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @MJO, I was trying to figure out what size a .15, .2 and .25 pointers were in mm to give me an idea of the size to look for in a coloured stone. Any ideas ? The DBTY bracelets I've seen so far are all, well, diamonds! I love to see if there were any examples where the stones used were coloured stones instead of diamonds.

voce

Ideal_Rock
There is no easy answer to this. The chart is for diamonds, diamond cut standard cuts to bring out brilliance. Even if you take specific gravity into account, colored stones are often cut deeper to bring out more color, so you should just ask the vendor about mm size instead of guesstimating this.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @MJO, I was trying to figure out what size a .15, .2 and .25 pointers were in mm to give me an idea of the size to look for in a coloured stone. Any ideas ? The DBTY bracelets I've seen so far are all, well, diamonds! I love to see if there were any examples where the stones used were coloured stones instead of diamonds.
For round brilliant cut diamonds here are the closest calibrated mm sizes:
0.15 cts = 3.25mm
0.20 cts = 3.75mm
0.25 cts = 4mm
Just go by the mm size for colored stones, not the carat size.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce and @PieAreSquared, I appreciate your input. Now I'm wondering how large I could go before the stone gets too deep and won't sit properly. This is obviously an opportunity to buy lots of 'practice' stones! :mrgreen2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought some small tsavorites (all matching in size and colour) but ended up returning them after finding out that the cost to set them was so high, even with an already made setting. Please check with your jeweller first to make sure the labour cost doesn't knock your socks off in shock.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Please check with your jeweller first to make sure the labour cost doesn't knock your socks off in shock.
Yes, that is a concern. I'm in the UK so buying and returning isn't much of an option for me so my plan is to buy some super cheap stones (<$10 each) in different sizes (4mm and 5mm) and different cuts (round and portuguese) so that I can a) play with them and b) take them to the jeweller to see what his thoughts are. If he thinks a DBTY is doable I'll then look at a more expensive stone so the cost of the setting/labour doesn't seem disproportionate (which seems a bit illogical!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, just ask your jeweller upfront what's his estimate to set 8 stones that are 4 mm or 5 mm standard rounds. He should be able to quote you pricing easily without seeing the stones in hand. I found that even 4 mm tsavorites were far too expensive to set. Only diamonds and coloured diamonds are worth the cost. Either that or get ready made mass produced DBTY necklaces, which are aplenty.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cheapest way to do it would be to get one of the Chinese vendors mentioned in the approved list of vendors or one that has a lot of positive Ebay feedback to make that for you, buy the stones you want and the DBTY necklace from them it will be way cheaper than having something made in the UK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results