shape
carat
color
clarity

Convertible Car Seats Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We''re doing our search on convertible car seats and I cannot make up my mind. I''ve gone to see them all at the store (even put DD in all of them which she thought was hilarious
5.gif
) and I''ve read all the reviews but I can''t seem to choose one. I feel like Mara in her search for a stroller
3.gif

The main problem for us is that we have to get 3. MIL needs one so we''ve decided on the Cosco Scenera (p.s. they chose the design
3.gif
]) since it''s a safe/affordable option.

But now to choose for our cars. If it helps, she''s in FI''s SUV more often than in my car. She''s in my car every morning and in his SUV every night. On the weekdays if it is raining, FI gives me his SUV to drive and on the weekends we only use his SUV if I''m traveling with her. If I''m going to go for all the bells and whistles, I''d rather it be for his car and maybe something a little more standard for mine but want a step up from the Scenera since she''s still in my car a lot.

Ok so we have it narrowed down (ha!) to 5 choices. I''m leaving prices out since I have some crazy coupon/gift cards thing going on over here (spreadsheet with formulas crazy
19.gif
).

First Years True Fit:

With the exception of the Sunshine Kids Radian, they are (from my research) the tallest seats available (although not by much). It rear-faces up to 35lbs, forward faces up to 65lbs, and the max height is 50in. With this option she can probably be in it until she can legally be in a booster seat.

Graco MyRide

Rear facing weight limit is 40lbs, forward facing is 65, max height is 49in. I''ve heard good reviews but I''ve also heard it''s a PITB to install (although this doesn''t matter as much since we''re having it professionally installed). It has a deep shell and Sophia looks really comfy in it but it''s bulky. It''ll be a tight fit in my car but may work really well in FI''s SUV.

Britax Marathon OR Britax Boulevard

I think you ladies already know a lot about Britax options. They both rear face up to 35lbs, forward face to 65lbs, and have a max height of 49in. The differences between the two is that the Boulevard has quick-adjust head restraint & no-rethread harness.

Safety First Complete Air

Rear facing up to 40lbs, forward facing 50lbs, max heigh 45in. This is a good option since it rear faces up to 40lbs like Graco MyRide but the forward facing weight is 15lbs less than the other 5 options which is a pretty big discrepancy. This is FI''s preference because it "looks cool"
20.gif

Thoughts/Opinions? Any seat you would recommend (even if it differs from above)? What are you considering?

I would provide ratings but there are no safety ratings for car seats so I don''t want to mislead anyone that may come across this thread in the future. National Traffic Association has ratings for 2009 issued if anyone wants to check it out.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Fiery, I''ll just let you know what we got for E.

We also got the Cosco Scenera for our "extra" car seat. It will be on hand for use by my mom, my MIL, or the babysitter if they need to take him somewhere. Haven''t put it in a car yet, but it looks sturdy and E likes sitting in it on the floor
1.gif

We ended up getting the Boulevard for my car (I drive him more), and the Roundabout 50 for DH''s car. We are pretty happy with both of them. E is tall, so I ruled out anything with a height limit less than 49" right away. Our other option was the Graco, but it seemed so deep that E did not seem as comfy in it.

We got good deals on both of our Britaxes, and I think it is worth it for the amount of time we are going to use them.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so cal: do you find the cosco comfy? I saw it at BRU and it seemed so bare bones, but not sure if it''s because of the model i looked at.

also how does the blvd compare to the RA50 in terms of bulk/size?

sorry to hijack fiery. I think others can prob chime in better for me--I have the RA50 but still undecided on #2 seat.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i dunno fiery you sound a lot more organized than i was about the strollers hehe.

at what point is an ''average'' (aka lets just say like a 60 percentile) child hitting 65 lbs and/or 50 inches? are we talking like between ages 4-6 usually?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:35:25 PM
Author: Mara
i dunno fiery you sound a lot more organized than i was about the strollers hehe.

at what point is an ''average'' (aka lets just say like a 60 percentile) child hitting 65 lbs and/or 50 inches? are we talking like between ages 4-6 usually?
I have no idea Mara. I quickly looked at some charts for girls and it seems like the average (at 50% because it didn''t show 60%) is that they are about 42.5in and 40lbs by age 5. But it doesn''t say when the study was performed. For boys, 43in and 40lbs by age 5.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:29:16 PM
Author: janinegirly
so cal: do you find the cosco comfy? I saw it at BRU and it seemed so bare bones, but not sure if it''s because of the model i looked at.

sorry to hijack fiery. I think others can prob chime in better for me--I have the RA50 but still undecided on #2 seat.
Not Socal, but we have 2 of the cosco ones. One for the babysitter and one in DH''s truck. While it is barebones, we did a 4 hour each way road trip for Easter and Kyle didn''t seem to be bothered at all, he even slept 3 hours of the drive back.

Fiery, I''d say go for the least expensive/coolest looking of your options, since they''re all nice safe seats.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:29:16 PM
Author: janinegirly

Like I said, we haven''t used the Cosco in the car yet. It is a lot less cushioned than the Britax, but is perfect for what we need it for (short infrequent trips).

The Boulevard is about the same height as the Roundabout, but wider because of the True Side Impact protection. I have a crossover SUV (Mazda CX-7), and it fits fine in the middle back seat. One of my neighbors has theirs in a Honda Accord, and it seemd to fit fine.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the one that rear-faces for as long as possible.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mrs Mitchell - do you know of a rear-facing seat that is available in the UK?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, there are about three or four on the maket, but they were quite hard to track down.

We also struggled to find one that would fit our cars. I gave up in the end, there wasn''t a rear facing model that would fit mine, so we only have a carseat in DH''s car.

If your car has Isofix points, I can recommend the Recaro seats. http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/

I should say that I''m very overboard and borderline obsessive about car safety. Amelia travels to DH''s office creche most days, so she''s spending a fair bit of time in the car and I do worry.

My work friends who are traffic cops send me a pile of gifts when A was born, and each one was wrapped up with car safety information leaflets. I got the message! I took them seriously - they have seen the aftermath of a lot of accidents, and they were pretty clear on what lets kids walk away and what doesn''t, even in surprisingly minor accidents. Rear facing, highest quality you can find, best fit for your car, correctly fitted, regularly inspected and re-checked and on Isofix if at all possible.

They were really against me putting a carseat in my own car at all, because it''s an older car and it has no isofix points. DH''s car was inspected to within an inch of its life and deemed unsuitable for a childseat, so we were bullied into buying a new car. My friends checked it again once the car seat was fitted. One particularly determined friend calls in every few weeks and casually re-checks it on his way up the driveway, when he thinks we aren''t looking. The recaro seat pleases them. THis one was also suggested http://www.carseat.se/store.html?gclid=CL7omvShjaECFRg-lAodp2daNg but use it on the Isofix points, not the seatbelt. They all said to look for a Swedish seat, or one tested in Sweden, as the tests are more rigorous than those done elsewhere. This one was their third choice recommendation http://www.prams-pushchairs.co.uk/brio-zento-black-rear-facing-car-seat-p-407.html?zenid=241b5ddd60d137783ae72f06b63788ac

Now all this might well be over-kill but at least I will never have that particular "why didn''t I listen" agony.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, we just went through this. We had bought the Recaro Como when it was on sale on woot.com for $99, and while it rearfaces for almost as long as the others you are talking about and is SUPER comfy for ds, I find it to be a bit of a pain.

We needed a 2nd car seat for our 2nd car, so I did a bunch of research. At first I was going to get the new seat as our "main" seat in my car and use the Recaro in DH''s car, and I was debating between the Graco Myride 65 and the Evenflo Symphony All In One. But then we sold dh''s car and got an SUV, and basically we decided that since we aren''t sure if we''ll take 2 cars with us through all our future moves (if we go overseas, etc), we decided to stick with the Recaro as our main seat, and we just got the Scenera for now for dh''s car.

The Scenera is definitely great as a seat to be used in a car that isn''t used often, and even though the Recaro has WAY more padding, ds doesn''t mind the Scenera either.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mrs M - we have Isofix so no problem there. Will get one of the rear-facers when it''s time to upgrade.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It may also help you to know that an entire banana, concealed inside a sweater and then covertly smushed into the straps of a recaro can be sponged off successfully...
20.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We are going today to put DD in the Safety First once again. It seems like that''s the one that FI really wants. It rear faces the longest which is great but the FF weight is what has me on the fence about it.

I think I''ve decided on the first year''s true fit.

I''ll let you guys know what we ultimately decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 4:56:32 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
It may also help you to know that an entire banana, concealed inside a sweater and then covertly smushed into the straps of a recaro can be sponged off successfully...
20.gif
LOL! That is awesome.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 12:38:31 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 4/17/2010 4:56:32 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
20.gif
LOL! That is awesome.
Ah, see what you have to look forward to...
9.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
It's tough coming up with the 2nd/3rd car seat, isn't it! Glad you (fiery) made a decision or are getting closer.

For me, we already had the RA50 in our main/DH's car. For grandma I have now decided on the Combi Coccoro--mostly for it's lightweight and compact appeal since her car is a smallish European one. I like that it's good option for travel and has some nice colors. It's more than I wanted to spend, but if you shop around for price matches and coupons, it can be more reasonable.

And if I end up ever getting a car, I think I will bite the bullet and get the Blvd--since I'm not a confident driver and mine would then become the main car. I have come to be really impressed with the BLVD. I do feel a little silly considering so many seats after LO is already 1 1/2, but she is on the small side so I think these seats should still last a few more years. I hope!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!
I can''t make up my mind...there are way too many options. Is it crazy that I''m just looking at Britax just because I''m lazy and don''t want to have a huge list to reserach?. They seem to be the most popular ones.
SO diapers.com has a few on closeout for $199 (the Marathon)
What''s the real difference between the marathon and the Blvd?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:33:03 AM
Author: Mandarine
Hi ladies!
I can''t make up my mind...there are way too many options. Is it crazy that I''m just looking at Britax just because I''m lazy and don''t want to have a huge list to reserach?. They seem to be the most popular ones.
SO diapers.com has a few on closeout for $199 (the Marathon)
What''s the real difference between the marathon and the Blvd?
Price and the two features I mentioned above. The quick head-adjust is a nice to have but not something that I would pay more for.

The Britax is definitely a great choice to go with. It''s top quality and very reliable.

Just for comparison sake though, there really isn''t much of a difference in terms of quality/safety between the Britax and the First Year True Fit.

FYTF is about $100 less than Britax and has all of the same features. It also looks the same as the Blvd.

However, the $199 closeout deal for the Marathon is an AWESOME price. If you still qualify for the 10% off, it''s even less ($179).

I attached a pic of the 5 seats I was considering for comparison:

car seats.JPG

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I went ahead and ordered the marathons for $199, free shipping (diapers.com)
I wasn''t able to use any other codes...
and my brain doesn''t have room for doing more research!!!! lol

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a real simplified overview of the Britaxes (taken from another forum)--although I think they are all great!

"The Roundabout 50 is a nice ''budget'' choice, and the Boulevard is more plush and easier to adjust the height of the harness. Marathon is sort of in between those, and Advocate is totally top of the line, might be overkill in a modern car with decent safety ratings".

I know there are others--Frontier, Diplomat, but to me the above are usually the frontrunners/most popular.

And you got a great deal either way Mandarine, boys will be happy!

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Hey Fiery just wanted to plug the Marathon. I''ve had my daughter (now 4) in hers since she was about 6ish months. She''s very slim (32 pounds) so I think I have a few more months but that thing has SERIOUSLY held up! It''s in such great shape I''ll be saving it for my next one. I love Britax!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
So it seems like no one has experience with the Combi Coccoro? This is more for smaller cars,etc.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thanks WL!
35.gif

Sorry Janine, no experience with it. Hopefully one of the other moms can give you a review!

We still haven''t made up our minds and our coupon has to be used today! (We have a new BRU Coupon for tomorrow but that''s in store only!)
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a note that I am a huge fan of my boulevard for a reason I didn''t really anticipate...the adjustable harness WITHOUT having to rethread. My girl is a beanstalk and it''s nice to adjust it without having to remove the seat. I swear this child grows before my very eyes.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
30.gif

Date: 4/22/2010 11:40:28 AM
Author: fiery
Thanks WL!
35.gif

Sorry Janine, no experience with it. Hopefully one of the other moms can give you a review!

We still haven''t made up our minds and our coupon has to be used today! (We have a new BRU Coupon for tomorrow but that''s in store only!)
32.gif
Tear off the band-aid Fiery! DO IT! Your new pic is retarded cute!
30.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
*********Extra 15% off Britax today on Amazon according to babycheapskate********

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results