shape
carat
color
clarity

Conflict-Free

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Today I came home from the hospital, turned on the History channel, and saw a very good show! It was called "Blood Diamonds" and it went through the history of diamond mining from the 1800's, DeBeers farm, Debeers (the company), and African discord. I've never seen a program go so in depth!

It was very important to me that my engagement diamond be conflict-free. I am wondering if anyone also insisted on a conflict-free diamond? I honestly don't think I would want a diamond at all unless it were conflict-free.

Watching the program, I was absolutely nauseated at some of the things I heard. I couldn't imagine. I wouldn't want to imagine *shudder*. I knew a bit about blood diamonds before I saw the program, but not much, honestly. I am rather shocked. It's very scary to me, knowing that diamonds are not the only resource that have the blood of others to their name, but I am focused on this right now due to the time in my life. Don't even get me started on oil... :p

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Mine is conflict free....I didn't want any part of that. Just find a jeweler you trust because in all reality anyone can say a diamond is conflict free and it may very well not be.

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
*nods* It really bothers me that retailers can just arbitrarily declare their diamonds conflict free with no proof. I made sure we found out the mine of origin, and that it went through KPC ect.. :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Mashira said:
*nods* It really bothers me that retailers can just arbitrarily declare their diamonds conflict free with no proof. I made sure we found out the mine of origin, and that it went through KPC ect.. :)

Yep! Exactly.

We did the same =]

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
What about a lab created diamond?

At the moment they only come in coloured stones unfortunately, but they are completely conflict free and cost around 80% the price of a mined diamond.

Buying an antique stone also guarantees conflict free.

But it is my understanding that it is near impossible to guarantee any brand new stone is 100% conflict free, even if sold as such, because there is such a big mark up on “conflict free” diamonds it causes a large amount of corruption and no one is really monitoring/auditing the system so it makes it difficult to be completely sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results