shape
carat
color
clarity

Confession time - Have you played Pokemon Go?

Have you played Pokemon Go, confession time...

• Yes, I have played it.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, I have never played it.

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • No, but I really want to play it.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No, I have never heard of it.

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time to fess up, have you been playing Pokemon Go? My 8 year old loves it, and at first I thought it was just a clever app, but I confess, YES I have now played it too.... :lol:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! Yes, I have! I was an early adopter ( :geek: ) but tbh, I think it's stupid. :lol:

Doesn't bother me if others enjoy it though!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes hehehe. At least it got me out walking! I think the novelty is starting to wear off a bit though. I don't live or work in high density areas, so there isn't too much around

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they must be making a fortune, millions of people are playing it, I see kids, teens, people everywhere like zombies every day playing it..... And here apparently shops have paid the company to be PokeStops (places where you get rewards that you use in the game) which draws players to their businesses. And the way it works with Google Maps is really ingenious, dangerous to some people not paying attention while playing it, but ingenious none the less.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1469544135|4059420 said:
Yes hehehe. At least it got me out walking! I think the novelty is starting to wear off a bit though. I don't live or work in high density areas, so there isn't too much around

I don't mind the way it gets kids and people out walking, not so great for the idiots in cars playing it who crash into people or those that get lured somewhere that becomes an unsafe situation. (There have been people robbed, attacked and so on whilst playing it).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1469544270|4059422 said:
I don't mind the way it gets kids and people out walking, not so great for the idiots in cars playing it who crash into people or those that get lured somewhere that becomes an unsafe situation. (There have been people robbed, attacked and so on whilst playing it).
Ugh that's awful. Just like anything, people need to use common sense. If texting and driving is illegal, OBVIOUSLY hunting pokemon is! That's super dangerous.
I've not heard of people being lured somewhere dangerous, but I can totally imagine it. You see a pokestop/lure on the map and just head towards it without even bothering to look around!

I just like that finally - one of the fads that caught on is getting people active. Vs every single other video game that you just sit on your rump and stare at a tv. At least now people move and stare at their phone :lol:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My soon to be 6 year old loves it (and I love that it gets him walking with no complaints!). I don't think he entirely understands it (neither do I!) but he likes hunting for the Pokemon and capturing them. We live in a small suburban town with lots of small shops, churches and monuments so it is a Pokemon "goer's" dream. I used to be able to walk my dog at night and see no one for the entire 30 minutes. Now? I easily see 50 people - all of them with their faces glued to their phones hunting for Pokemon.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been dozens of incidents of people being robbed and attacked all around the world, one lady accidentally found a dead body chasing Pokemon, google it you will find dozens of people that have been lured into potentially dangerous situations some examples;

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-robbery-ends-with-two-men-shot-1784299062

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-15/sydney-couple-attempted-robbery-gunpoint-playing-pokemon-go/7632246

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1469544955|4059428 said:
My soon to be 6 year old loves it (and I love that it gets him walking with no complaints!). I don't think he entirely understands it (neither do I!) but he likes hunting for the Pokemon and capturing them. We live in a small suburban town with lots of small shops, churches and monuments so it is a Pokemon "goer's" dream. I used to be able to walk my dog at night and see no one for the entire 30 minutes. Now? I easily see 50 people - all of them with their faces glued to their phones hunting for Pokemon.

It's the same where I live dozens upon dozens of people out playing, lots of teens (older kids as well as younger ones here) my 8 year old loves it too, so at least I guess it gets us out and about to parks and monuments and places where we find virtual things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
I've never played a video game.

15 years ago I dated a guy obsessed with video games.
He tried to get me to play them and he couldn't fathom my lack of interest.
He literally got angry.

I told him, "People just vary." :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The moving part is good but people's utter lack of awareness of their surroundings is just mind boggling. :roll:

ETA: For those of you that will know what I mean - "Situational awareness" is out the frigging window for these people. :???:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My nine year old wanted to play it but I told him no. Mostly because my husband is a gamer and he can get really carried away. He would be the type to run out of the house at 3am to "catch them all". My son doesn't play much and is limited with media etc so he didn't make a big thing of it.

Fine if others want to play, just not something we need in our house.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I havent played it so I voted no. I did hear about it though. One facility I volunteer at is having privacy issues for their clients due to the game. They were also worried about people knowing their location. I don't know enough about the game to understand why it's a danger though. :confused:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAHAHAHAAHA! Apparently, Pokemon Go gives me GAME!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Last Friday, I downloaded the game.
Last Saturday, I was trying to figure out what the hell a poke stop was and what I should do. i had 6 minutes to spare for my reflexology appointment, so i opened the app, and saw there were a bunch of poke stops nearby. I started walking around the block staring at my phone, when a good looking man stopped in front of me and randomly commented that there are lots of poke stops around here. I looked up from my phone and stared at him blankly. He paused and asked me, "Are you playing pokemon go?" I replied, "Yes, I downloaded it last night but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do." He offered to show me, and I accepted, but let him know that I had an appointment in 2 minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I'm going to pretend that he was hitting on me because that delusion makes me feel good! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I downloaded it and it's a fun little game. There's a pokestop across the street from my house, but it's not a very busy one. I can get additional balls/etc. whenever I open the app, basically. Occasionally there's a pokemon there too. There are about 20+ pokestops within half a mile of my home (big park). I drove through the less privileged neighborhood that is adjacent to mine and noted a bunch of pokestops. First, I worry as it could draw people out late at night and I worry those people could be targets for crime. BUT, if overall it draws a LOT more people out then maybe a bigger presence will equal less crime because there's a higher chance of getting caught. I did note that late last night (10:30 PM) there were some lures at the PokeStops in the park. I can honestly say I would NOT venture there that late to check it out for fear of being mugged.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, I have never played it and neither have my children. We have no plans to play it either because I think it's dangerous. I don't have an issue if others enjoy it - as long as it doesn't involve me in any way because they are not paying attention.... ;-)
There have been car accidents (because you can play the game while driving :shock: ), people getting hit by cars, people falling and getting hurt, people getting robbed, people trespassing, etc.
I'm surprised no one was killed during this incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvA9ZgC73vc

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I downloaded it onto my phone so my kids could have a look at it but I seem to be more interested than I expected! I was sitting at work doing some e-mails today when my phone beeped- I thought it was a text but it was a Pokémon which had appeared on the keyboard :lol: (I caught it)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1469562026|4059553 said:
I downloaded it onto my phone so my kids could have a look at it but I seem to be more interested than I expected! I was sitting at work doing some e-mails today when my phone beeped- I thought it was a text but it was a Pokémon which had appeared on the keyboard :lol: (I caught it)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1469562026|4059553 said:

One of my neighbors and her boyfriend were down last weekend and we were having a wee afternoon cocktail. Apparently there were Pokémon (Pokemen...? What is the correctly plural?) over by the prosecco. Perhaps they were waiting for me to open another bottle?! The boyfriend caught them BTW. He also took screen shots for me. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with pics of imaginary creatures in my house... maybe they'll keep the voices in my head company...

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
My daughter got me into it. It is just so hot here though that it is hard to spend much time at it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1469550643|4059460 said:
BAHAHAHAAHA! Apparently, Pokemon Go gives me GAME!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Last Friday, I downloaded the game.
Last Saturday, I was trying to figure out what the hell a poke stop was and what I should do. i had 6 minutes to spare for my reflexology appointment, so i opened the app, and saw there were a bunch of poke stops nearby. I started walking around the block staring at my phone, when a good looking man stopped in front of me and randomly commented that there are lots of poke stops around here. I looked up from my phone and stared at him blankly. He paused and asked me, "Are you playing pokemon go?" I replied, "Yes, I downloaded it last night but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do." He offered to show me, and I accepted, but let him know that I had an appointment in 2 minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I'm going to pretend that he was hitting on me because that delusion makes me feel good! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is too funny!!!! You never know what you might "catch" at a Pokestop!!!! :lol: :naughty:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At the risk of sounding like a flaming idiot (I have not downloaded the app).... :oops: How does one actually "see" these Pokemon? I see photos on FB of people with one hovering in front of them and I don't get it. And once you see it, how do you catch it? And what the hell is a "Pokestop"?? How do you find it and what do you do once you're there?? I want to know, but don't really want to download the app. Thanks (in advance) for helping an old gal out (I might even manage to impress my tween with my newfound knowledge!! He, by the way, seems to have zero interest in this, as he's not asked to download the app himself)...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire said:
At the risk of sounding like a flaming idiot (I have not downloaded the app).... :oops: How does one actually "see" these Pokemon? I see photos on FB of people with one hovering in front of them and I don't get it. And once you see it, how do you catch it? And what the hell is a "Pokestop"?? How do you find it and what do you do once you're there?? I want to know, but don't really want to download the app. Thanks (in advance) for helping an old gal out (I might even manage to impress my tween with my newfound knowledge!! He, by the way, seems to have zero interest in this, as he's not asked to download the app himself)...
From what the gentleman explained to me, the pokes tops are the blue floaty cube things and when you are in the vicinity of one, you see a circle and you swipe left to right and you get to collect stuff like poke balls that are used to catch Pokemon.

When you see a Pokemon, you flick from down up to fling the ball at the Pokemon.

That's all I know :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not something in my mind I need to be confessing to but yes. I play videogames in general and played/watched Pokémonin my youth so I have also played Pokémon go.

I think it's great for children. Brings people together and in the moment. Sure, they have their phone, but they are not checking Facebook or their email they re walking, a lot, having conversations with their friends and having innocent fun

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1469575700|4059645 said:

What the hell is wrong with you?
You're supposed to JUST KNOW!

:lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think anything to get people moving and out of the house is awesome. It is an innocent, fun game. Of course there are people that have gotten themselves in trouble but that is not the game's fault. People need to use common sense and stay aware of their surroundings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't get myself interested enough to even care.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My husband is playing it, but I think he enjoys Niantic's other game, Ingress, a whole lot more. PokemonGo is fun in that it seems to be pretty social--players in a park in my neighborhood hang out and talk to each other. I think that's pretty cool.

And for yennyfire, it's a virtual reality game, so the game shows you the Pokemon in front of you by using your phone's camera to snap a quick shot of whatever's in frame and then it overlays an image of a Pokemon (translation from Japanese is "Pocket Monster" and it's both singular and plural). You capture them by "throwing" virtual "pokeballs" at them (kind of looks like a little firework when you capture one), and then the point of the game is to make your Pokemon stronger and get more points to proceed through the levels. You do this by gathering special "gear" (more pokeballs, etc.) at "Pokestops" and you make your Pokemon stronger by having them battle at "Pokegyms." Winners capture the gym, which means lots of points. If you see larger groups of people hanging out in one specific area (like a public park), it's probably because that location has a gym. You can't play/battle unless you are physically near these places. It's using Google Maps so it knows when you're near these places.

I don't know all of the specifics since I haven't played it myself (but my husband lets me catch the Pokemon when they pop up, and I've caught some while he's been driving), but I do know that people likely find it fun because it's got an element of random reward... You never know when a Pokemon might pop up in your vicinity, and this randomness is very powerful reinforcement (anyone who has ever trained a dog knows about random reinforcement).

I think the interest in this game is pretty generational. While I have seen people older than me playing, its sweet spot is really people born in the 1980s/1990s, since that's the generation that experienced the Pokemon television show and card game. And it's really not a game for young kids, but it's cool that kids are playing it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results