shape
carat
color
clarity

Concerned about the bowties in these ovals/pears

elusion

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello!! I’m looking to buy 4 lab grown 1ct diamonds for earrings - 2 pears and 2 ovals. I did the research online, and my mum saw 3 of them in person - these pics are from her. She’s not a diamond expert and isn’t great with her phone so that’s all I got. I do have other videos and pics from the supplier and it all looks good.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 5.01.09 PM.png

My eye goes to the brown bowties in these pics - the pics were taken outdoors under a tree. Am looking to make solitaire earrings + ear jacket set similar to what Vrai offers. Are the bowties too evident for earrings? Am ok with a little but not if it's too evident.

Am getting a great price on these and it’s been hard to find matching fancy shape pairs so would like to buy these but not have regrets later.

Ovals
Pears
Thank you!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Please keep in mind that you cannot avoid a bow-tie in traditional brilliant cut ovals, pears and marquise. The better cut stones will have minimal ones whereas the badly cut ones will have large, obvious one from pretty much all angles. Also keep in mind that a bow-tie is a reflection of something dark. Soooo... if the stones are mostly clear of any obvious bow-tie, I think that's a good start!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would prefer a round diamond in an earring for two reasons: bowtie issues and angles. I do not know this first hand, but would suspect it would be hard to keep the earring end centered properly on the ear. Would you wear them at an angle or up and down?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm the odd one out here. I don't mind bow ties, unless they form an awful color. They're just part of the charm!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please keep in mind that you cannot avoid a bow-tie in traditional brilliant cut ovals, pears and marquise. The better cut stones will have minimal ones whereas the badly cut ones will have large, obvious one from pretty much all angles. Also keep in mind that a bow-tie is a reflection of something dark. Soooo... if the stones are mostly clear of any obvious bow-tie, I think that's a good start!
I beg to differ. Even with a classic 8 facet pattern arranged N-S E-W - you can have a central arrow that rapidly changes from dark to bright with a tiny movement, just as the 8 stars in a nice round are fleeting.
Of course if the main pavilion angle across the stone is shallow then you will have a big ugly bowtie.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I beg to differ. Even with a classic 8 facet pattern arranged N-S E-W - you can have a central arrow that rapidly changes from dark to bright with a tiny movement, just as the 8 stars in a nice round are fleeting.
Of course if the main pavilion angle across the stone is shallow then you will have a big ugly bowtie.

Thanks for raising that @Garry H (Cut Nut). So rather than a bow-tie, you'd get a couple of nice sharp arrows that aren't hugely noticeable right? And if the angle is too shallow then the bow-tie will be more apparent regardless of lighting condition etc? I can't help but think a lot of people worry about seeing a bow-tie in one lighting condition but it's barely there in a different situation?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for raising that @Garry H (Cut Nut). So rather than a bow-tie, you'd get a couple of nice sharp arrows that aren't hugely noticeable right? And if the angle is too shallow then the bow-tie will be more apparent regardless of lighting condition etc? I can't help but think a lot of people worry about seeing a bow-tie in one lighting condition but it's barely there in a different situation?

I will show the problem with some DiamCalc images.
I will start with 41 degree pavilion an lower the pavilion angle by 0.5 degrees for each set.
I will tilt them slightly away too thru 5 and 10 degrees (more or less the same thing happens with left to right tilting):
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG
For some reason the last image shows small - but if you click it you can see there are still remnants of bowtie in the shallowest diamond image.

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 17

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut). It's interesting how half a degree can make a difference. So it comes down to how diligent a cutter is in making sure the angle is right? Or is there a tolerance that's accepted by the industry so as to maintain a stone's weight over optimal cut for ovals etc.?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut). It's interesting how half a degree can make a difference. So it comes down to how diligent a cutter is in making sure the angle is right? Or is there a tolerance that's accepted by the industry so as to maintain a stone's weight over optimal cut for ovals etc.?
A diligent cutter gets the heaviest yield on the rough. Therefore most ovals (marquise and pearshapes) have bow ties.
But the bowtie is worse for people with big coffured dark hair who look very close up to their diamonds.
You are the bow tie.
Poke a hole in a sheet of paper and peek at a diamond, any diamond, and it will totally lack contrast - it will be white as snow. No bow tie.
I 798237 ts the same for rounds, especially shallow ones.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
A diligent cutter gets the heaviest yield on the rough. Therefore most ovals (marquise and pearshapes) have bow ties.
But the bowtie is worse for people with big coffured dark hair who look very close up to their diamonds.
You are the bow tie.
Poke a hole in a sheet of paper and peek at a diamond, any diamond, and it will totally lack contrast - it will be white as snow. No bow tie.
I shallow girl gif.gif ts the same for rounds, especially shallow ones.

Ahhh! So the cut usually favours the carat weight which is understandable.

So the most beautiful diamond is the one that isn't gazed upon? Such a zen concept lol

Thanks yet again @Garry H (Cut Nut) - It's worth pinning your bow-tie explanation on here as man so many people freak out over them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results