shape
carat
color
clarity

Completely lost on choosing a round brilliant

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I have been scavenging the forums and this is my first post. Forgive me if I’m asking a repetitive question.

I’ve studied crown angles, pavilion angles, tables and depths. I’ve plugged in values for HCA scores.

I now have a list of 14 diamonds to choose the best option from and wanted to see if there was any additional insight into how I can further narrow this down so I can ask for help in Choosing

I am looking to upgrade from a 1 ct to a higher carat, with a wide range in budget.

should I eliminate any diamonds with clouds listed in their reports that are SI2? Should I eliminate strong fluorescence in I color? Faint fluorescence in I color?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I have been scavenging the forums and this is my first post. Forgive me if I’m asking a repetitive question.

I’ve studied crown angles, pavilion angles, tables and depths. I’ve plugged in values for HCA scores.

I now have a list of 14 diamonds to choose the best option from and wanted to see if there was any additional insight into how I can further narrow this down so I can ask for help in Choosing

I am looking to upgrade from a 1 ct to a higher carat, with a wide range in budget.

should I eliminate any diamonds with clouds listed in their reports that are SI2? Should I eliminate strong fluorescence in I color? Faint fluorescence in I color?

Welcome to Pricescope

What kind of budget are you working with? What are your preferences for the 4 C's ? Cut, Clarity, Color, Carat?

Post any diamond lab reports you are considering ( GIA or AGS ) and the proportions and inclusions can be evaluated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably eliminate any SI2s right off the bat. Not saying you cant find good SI2s out there but if you have SI1s or better in your budget
then get rid of the SI2s.

How many do you have left after that? We would probably like to get it down to 6 or so.

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
Is this diamond for yourself or someone else?

When I was choosing mine it was going to be our first diamond purchase. I did what you did and spent a lot of time reading about the proportions and angles, fluorescence and watched numerous videos about super ideals, GIA etc. I also consulted with one of the well known online "diamond experts" who is affiliated with several vendors but was able to look over my picks and steer my in a safe direction.

I was buying online and intended to purchase without seeing the stone in person (perhaps risky but it worked out). I ruled out what I was not going to be comfortable with and likely went for a higher color and clarity because I was not going to be looking at the diamond in person and in order to give me peace of mind. This included ruling out things like fluorescence, certain clarities (ie SI1 and SI1), certain colors and of course the budget dictated the ultimate combination.

I specifically wanted a yellow gold setting and yellow gold prongs and wanted contrast with the diamond color instead of having it blend in. This also affected the color I went with in the end.

The experts here can help you with the perfect proportions but I think you have to decide what is mind clean for you to rule out whether or not you are okay with fluorescence, certain colors etc.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures of your purchase! And back to work for me....

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help! It was so difficult but I managed to narrow it down to 5.
This is a diamond for myself, with no future upgrade. This is why the budget range is so vast, and all diamonds listed are in my budget (with the higher end stretching a bit) but since it is a forever diamond I am willing to stretch the budget for something that is completely worth it.

3187080.jpeg HCA3187080.png

6517011.jpeg HCA6517011.png

7813726.jpeg HCA7813726.png

1006248.jpeg HCA1006248.png

7679035.jpeg HCA7679035.png

I am leaning towards the AGS 1.85 I SI1 for $12,980, however if the 2.03 I SI1 GIA for $14,930 is substantially better I am willing to invest in that, but if the difference isn't that striking I would be happier with a lower cost. I guess my main concern is how different these are in terms of no milkiness or haze, and sparkle.. and size. I've arranged them in order of diameter.

My main concern is size, I've tried my best to make sure the cuts are excellent so I can focus on size and not having too visible inclusions. I am having a difficult time choosing between these diamonds, if anyone can help eliminate any for me or steer me towards one that would be so kind!

I'm looking for significant change in finger coverage. I currently have a 1 ct which is 6.26 mm and my finger size is 7 (swollen to an 8 right now during pregnancy ha!)

Thank you

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 1.85 and 1.9 are the only 2 I think are worth considering, but I think the 1.85 is a good buy at the price and size!

Can you inquire over these as well?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the 1.85 and the 1.9. Ask if you can get ASET images on these two.

1.42 no, big black inclusion on table
1.70 no, angles are complementary but not the best (looks leaky too)
2.03 no, low crown and low pavilion, possibly obstruction up close

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much!!

I checked the ones you suggested and
7696560.jpeg
the HCA was 0.9 with Excellent on all except for spread which was Very good.

and

7820292.jpeg
HCA was 1.3 with Excellent, excellent, excellent and Very Good for spread.

I did like the price on these two, so comparing these with 1.85 and 1.9 Which would you recommend?

My priority is carat and overall look in quality. Thank you!!!

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Thank you

I was able to get the ASET images for two diamonds.
1.7 that was suggested by KKJohnson
aset7820292.png

and the 1.85 that has been agreed upon
1006248.png

I was told the other ones did not have aset images.

Any further insight? I am down to the 1.85, the 1.9 and the 1.78, 1.7

Thank you

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the 1.9 VS2 I numbers look complimentary and will have lots of bold colored flashes with the small table and high crown. The faint fluorescence would be a non factor. The only thing I don't like is the depth @ 62.7 outside the recommended range but shouldn't be a huge factor in overall performance. The inclusion plot also looks very clean to me . Overall this would be a good pick if the price is right. close to the 2 ct mark without paying the premium.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the 1.70 at all. Large 58 table with shallow 32 crown and very steep 41.2 pavilion. Not a stone I'd buy or recommend. Things go wonky on pavilion angles of 41.2+. Even if not, it will have a very different personality than some of the other stones. It will favor more white light return vs big bold rainbow flashes that most people prefer.

I'd also scratch the 1.90 from your list. It's a little deep at 62.7 but what bothers me more is just the bang for the buck it DOES NOT offer. Look at the spread -- it measures out at 7.88 x 7.83mm. The 1.78 measures out at 7.80 x 7.76 and the 1.85 measures out at 7.88 x 7.89. Most of the weight gain you are paying for is in the vertical depth, not the horizontal spread, so your eyes won't appreciate a larger stone despite the fact you re paying for more carat weight.

Add to the fact you can't get an IS image to confirm that 62.7 depth isn't causing issues. Lastly, it's the top of your budget range, and while I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't see the benefit of spending the extra dollars on this particular stone.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you aren't locked in with JA, then you could dip your toes in the super ideal pool.

WF ACA 1.703 I SI1 @ $12,395 wire

55.8 table, 61.1 depth, 34.4 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 78 LGF :kiss2:

Spread is 7.71 x 7.74.

Can we say sparkle bomb? A true H&A stone. Killer upgrade program (simply spend $1 or more and get full credit of your existing diamond towards a new one), fully vetted stone with all the performance images.

WF ACA 1.852 I SI1 @ $14,974 wire

Spread is 7.90 x 7.93.

Freaking gorgeous stone that has nice spread but probably the top of your price range as well. And while I like the size bump. It's right at the 0.20mm (about 1/256th inch) difference mark which is where most people can detect a tiny size difference when comparing two stones side by side. If you didn't have knowledge of the size, and wasn't shown the stones at the same time you likely wouldn't notice any difference as it's not a significant difference.

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @sledge. If I was working with your budget, there is no way I would be shopping at any place other than a super ideal vendor--Whiteflash, HPD, Brian Gavin, Victor Canera, August Vintage, (hope I didn't miss any of them). Just my opinion, of course. Others may disagree, but that's a lot of money to spend on a diamond with more risk, as you try to hunt down the super special one from virtual inventory vendors.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASETscope images posted above look a little overexposed, but as long as the central circle is no darker than any other area (i.e. other areas are not lighter, which would be showing leakage) all should be fine.

In this instance, though, it looks to my eyes that there might be some leakage on the right hand side of each stone under the tables.

Looking at the diamond search bar at the top of the forum, and selecting only AGS000 stones with an HCA score of 'Excellent' in the filters section, then filtering to Tables of 53-58% and Depth of 60-62.5% (giving a bit of 'wiggle room' at the lower and higher ends of each respectively when compared to the PS-recommended ranges), I get 17 diamonds come up, up to about 1.9ct in size:

Sledge has already identified the largest in-house SuperIdeal in that list (the 1.85 I SI1) :)

If we swap to GIA XXX stones with PS-recommended spec ranges and Excellent HCA scores, we get 146 diamonds as options:

Looks like you can get over 2ct / 8mm spread (albeit most with SI1 clarity), or you could get an I VVS2 with Strong Fluorescence from USA Certed, which would definitely be eye-clean and would get a lift in colour in UV-rich environments (if you and/or your intended are happy with Fluor):

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
I can’t thank you all enough for being so helpful to a newbie like me. Especially sledge that has put things into perspective for me. I totally fall for the must cost more because it’s better facade. What you said about the 1.9 made total sense.

I’m pretty much locked in with JA because my current diamond is IGI certified and WF only accepts AGS and GIA. I emailed them to see if something can be worked out.
Total bummer because that 1.852 white flash diamond was exactly what I wanted.
Big spread. Beautiful.

I don’t know if I should keep scavenging JA for a larger stone that might pop up in their inventory or lower my budget since it is a lot for a diamond that might not have a big return.

I’m going to stick with the AGS 1.85 and keep searching for a larger stone if I can find one.
Thank you all so much for your help. any further recommendations are greatly appreciated, if possible James Allen:lol-2:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to stick with the AGS 1.85 and keep searching for a larger stone if I can find one.
Thank you all so much for your help. any further recommendations are greatly appreciated, if possible James Allen:lol-2:

I think after looking at the certs the 1.85 is the best choice so far, if you are not set and want that 8mm spread then don't settle.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
This one is close to an 8mm spread but it looks kinda odd on camera so I am curious as to what the cert says

This one is a J and I dont think you want to go down that low in color
'https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7887746

This looks like that's it for right now

7242FF8B-2689-4549-A202-597E8226378E.png

09B009AF-150A-40A9-A99A-64B7F608B56C.png

the 2 carat is gorgeous, I am color sensitive but for a stone that big and clear it’s worth it no? Do you think there’s a huge difference in size between the original 1.85 and this 2 carat? This one did say it had clouds

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am color sensitive but for a stone that big and clear it’s worth it no? Do you think there’s a huge difference in size between the original 1.85 and this 2 carat? This one did say it had clouds

Capture.JPG

-------------- This is the I-----------------------------------This is the J-----------
i.JPG

The J is probably too tinted especially if you are color sensitive, if you really want that 8mm in a whiter color then I say hold out for it

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That 1.85 just keeps winning out lol

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you get too invested in the J, you need to ask for an IS image.

The steep 35 crown paired with a steep 41 pavilion isn't very complimentary. I'd anticipate problems based on this which is why l think the image is necessary before buying.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @sledge

Is there no way to keep your diamond and start fresh with WF, HPD, or another vendor ? They have excellent upgrade policies. Just sayin, if you ever want to upgrade with JA, you have to spend DOUBLE (like 12=24, 14=28, etc).

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
are any of these possibly better than the 1.85?
Agree with @sledge

Is there no way to keep your diamond and start fresh with WF, HPD, or another vendor ? They have excellent upgrade policies. Just sayin, if you ever want to upgrade with JA, you have to spend DOUBLE (like 12=24, 14=28, etc).

I wish, but that would take away from the budget and wouldn't leave much room for an upgrade. I wish we knew about pricescope before making the investment! Would have gone with WF or BGD!

Do you guys think any of these are worth taking a second look at?

7962264.jpeg

7956076.jpeg

7787376.jpeg

7533412.jpeg

7966749.jpeg

I plugged in the ideal tables and depths that were recommended. Any contenders? Thank you

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
are any of these possibly better than the 1.85?

I wish, but that would take away from the budget and wouldn't leave much room for an upgrade. I wish we knew about pricescope before making the investment! Would have gone with WF or BGD!

Do you guys think any of these are worth taking a second look at?

7962264.jpeg

7956076.jpeg

7787376.jpeg

7533412.jpeg

7966749.jpeg

I plugged in the ideal tables and depths that were recommended. Any contenders? Thank you

The 2.02 H scores a 1.4, that would be one I might consider out of the options, Sledge is much better at understanding the numbers then I am. Hopefully he can chime in

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
I have also found this

4FB8165B-9C8B-4701-BECC-2C3B3D920DBA.png

Considering the inclusions can be hidden with a prong? Thank you KKjohnson!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Okay everyone! I’ve got it down to three!

the 1006248 1.85 that everyone has agreed is great!

4FF2E00F-DB5B-4447-BBA0-E4F23A494561.jpeg
And this one

34F4CADF-BCB5-4FB5-AB85-E28F804A4EDA.png

And (I’m sorry)

48067582-D3F1-4DD1-B0AD-8E7498E78D97.png

I’m not looking for perfect due to budget but I am looking for size and sparkle without too much cloudiness. When I see them in the viewer they look great to me.

It’s my final diamond with no upgrade so I am just worried about wishing I went bigger if I go with the 1.85 (which I do love because of specs). There’s a 0.2mm difference in diameter (so I don’t mind that the 2ct looks smal for its weight it’s still larger than the 1.85) but it does like dark in the imaging. Any advice?

thank you all so much for your help and taking the time to guide:)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The issue is that the better the cut the better preforming stone you will have, that is why we want you to have the best one out of the bunch.

If you were going to drop to an SI2 I would consider this one if the report is ok but ideally we dont recommend them

What do you think of this one? Its a bit higher then the price range we have been looking at but if you dont plan to upgrade then I think its worth looking at

I also wanted to ask is there a rush to buy? At this point I think you have established now that you def want 8mm spread I or better with a mini SI1 "eye clean" something that is a great performing stone (price range best bang for the buck 13-15k). If there isn't a rush then just keep holding out, there will be something that fits the bill

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I keep going back to this one, but I am concerned about it being eye clean

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results