shape
carat
color
clarity

comparison of high luster strands. What's your favorite?

Which strand is your favorite?

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 8 30.8%

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
update pictures from the vendor:

The vendor sent pics of 2 strands that aren't online. The vendor says these have the same luster/contrast as granpearls, but have more surface blemishes (and therefore wouldn't make the granpearl grade).

They sent pics comparing the 2 strands with granpearl strands in stock, and a different pic comparing the 2 strands with strand #6 from the original post (which was my favorite of the originals).

PIC_3616.jpg

PIC_3623.jpg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
To my eyes, the Hanadama 8-8.5mm on top of the second picture has the best luster by a smidge. It is ALSO the whitest body of the three strands.

PIC_3623.jpg

With all of that said, they are *blasting* a spotlight onto these pearls.

I really wish they would just put all 3 strands in a manequin's neck and show some pictures showing an image reflection like a cell phone, a hand with fingers, something discrete.

Also, and this is VERY important, change the order of the strands in the picture. I can't tell you how many times I see a pearl has more luster than another when it is on top and then less when it is below it --- Positioning matters significantly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes, the Hanadama 8-8.5mm on top of the second picture has the best luster by a smidge. It is ALSO the whitest body of the three strands.

PIC_3623.jpg

With all of that said, they are *blasting* a spotlight onto these pearls.

I really wish they would just put all 3 strands in a manequin's neck and show some pictures showing an image reflection like a cell phone, a hand with fingers, something discrete.

Also, and this is VERY important, change the order of the strands in the picture. I can't tell you how many times I see a pearl has more luster than another when it is on top and then less when it is below it --- Positioning matters significantly.

Agreed, I also wish they would change the order. But happy to say my favorite strand is the same as yours, which is good! I also got options from Takahashi, which I'll attach in the next post

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Options from takahashi below.

They graciously compared 2 strands in my budget with their 15k granpearl strand which is decidedly out of my budget.

Topmost is granpearl, middle is their tennyo strand, and the bottom one is their "gem luster w minor spots".

IMG_20230419_061652_292.jpg
IMG_20230419_061642_958.jpg IMG_20230419_061640_600.jpg
IMG_20230419_061650_511.jpg

And here is another pic of both the gem w minor spot strand and the tennyo strand

IMG_20230419_061640_600.jpg
20230417_080017.jpg

Attachments

• 20230417_075856.jpg
    20230417_075856.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 22

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Options from takahashi below.

They graciously compared 2 strands in my budget with their 15k granpearl strand which is decidedly out of my budget.

Topmost is granpearl, middle is their tennyo strand, and the bottom one is their "gem luster w minor spots".

IMG_20230419_061652_292.jpg
IMG_20230419_061642_958.jpg IMG_20230419_061640_600.jpg
IMG_20230419_061650_511.jpg

And here is another pic of both the gem w minor spot strand and the tennyo strand

IMG_20230419_061640_600.jpg
20230417_080017.jpg

The Tennyo strand is significantly nicer than that gem luster with minor flaws in my eyes. Both in luster and gloss... But note it has a significantly darker body. Darker than the granpearl which was already a darker body than the two strands I bought a week ago from Takahashi --- So you may want to ask them just how dark is it compared to the usual tennyo they see.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tennyo strand is significantly nicer than that gem luster with minor flaws in my eyes. Both in luster and gloss... But note it has a significantly darker body. Darker than the granpearl which was already a darker body than the two strands I bought a week ago from Takahashi --- So you may want to ask them just how dark is it compared to the usual tennyo they see.

I agree that the Tennyo is much nicer. I don't see "darker", but I do see "pinker". I guess pink is darker than white/blueish--is that what you mean? I feel like sometimes my eyes don't see color nuances.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I agree that the Tennyo is much nicer. I don't see "darker", but I do see "pinker". I guess pink is darker than white/blueish--is that what you mean? I feel like sometimes my eyes don't see color nuances.

These are all pinked pearls --- so by "darker" I mean a deeper saturation/shade of pink, yes. Nothing inherently wrong with that and a darker body definitely helps it obtain the superior contrast it seems to show to the gem with flaws strand.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all pinked pearls --- so by "darker" I mean a deeper saturation/shade of pink, yes. Nothing inherently wrong with that and a darker body definitely helps it obtain the superior contrast it seems to show to the gem with flaws strand.

Thanks--that's what I was thinking you meant but wanted to check.

I wish I could directly compare the tennyo from Takahashi with the top of the 2 choices from the other vendor

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thanks--that's what I was thinking you meant but wanted to check.

I wish I could directly compare the tennyo from Takahashi with the top of the 2 choices from the other vendor

If it was me, I would probably go with the other vendor assuming equal price. That Hanadama strand compared well with the two grandpearl strands to my eyes. It had equal/deeper shades AND a whiter body than the grand-pearl strands.

The Takahashi strand fell short on luster to the Granpearl. Maybe the Takahashi Granpearl is significantly nicer on luster than *both* the others but what are the odds of that? And even if it was nicer, would it be so much nicer to compensate for the tennyo shortfall in luster --- while the hanadama strand seemed to hold it's own in those bad pictures?

I'd ask to see the hanadama and tennyo certificates for both. Look at the aurora images carefully too...

I'd still want more pictures with the hanadama if I was you though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I am going to purchase the third strand from the top in this pic (the first of the non granpearl options).

It has the luster/contrast/color I want, and the price is within my definition of reasonable for the quality (between 4-5K USD in case folks are curious).

T was honest and said the tennyo they have and showed me is good but not great, and doesnt really hold up against the granpearl (which is what my eyes see also)

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Update: I am going to purchase the third strand from the top in this pic (the first of the non granpearl options).

It has the luster/contrast/color I want, and the price is within my definition of reasonable for the quality (between 4-5K USD in case folks are curious).

T was honest and said the tennyo they have and showed me is good but not great, and doesnt really hold up against the granpearl (which is what my eyes see also)

I urge you to get a picture of those 4 strands under NATURAL light before making a final decision. This vendor has done that for me before and I found it gave a much better feel for the pearls. I had them show me 8.5-9mm strands “At the granpearl level with more flaws” and they showed the two best they had — and under natural light there was a MUCH better feel for them.

Takahashi is very honest. I love them as a vendor. Yy and Kan are great. I’m looking to engage them for a custom project personally but yea, that Tennyo looked good but not at the granpearl level.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I urge you to get a picture of those 4 strands under NATURAL light before making a final decision. This vendor has done that for me before and I found it gave a much better feel for the pearls. I had them show me 8.5-9mm strands “At the granpearl level with more flaws” and they showed the two best they had — and under natural light there was a MUCH better feel for them.

Takahashi is very honest. I love them as a vendor. Yy and Kan are great. I’m looking to engage them for a custom project personally but yea, that Tennyo looked good but not at the granpearl level.

Good point, I forgot about the natural light pics. I just asked them for that

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. @lovedogs can they send you a photo of the strand you’re zeroing in on and one of the granpearls in normal natural lighting? By a window during daytime.

Try to have them orient like the YES photo if possible (with strands on the table “snaking” toward the sun). The NO orientation will create shadows that will make the pearls closest to the camera look more contrasty.

CAA9546E-2B5A-49F2-858A-1BBE9A6307EF.png

954BE883-BF9C-4604-87D6-E64EAB7C8ECF.png

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Yeah. @lovedogs can they send you a photo of the strand you’re zeroing in on and one of the granpearls in normal natural lighting? By a window during daytime.

Try to have them orient like the YES photo if possible (with strands on the table “snaking” toward the sun). The NO orientation will create shadows that will make the pearls closest to the camera look more contrasty.

CAA9546E-2B5A-49F2-858A-1BBE9A6307EF.png

954BE883-BF9C-4604-87D6-E64EAB7C8ECF.png

Yssie is very wise as always. Let me try to illustrate an example of what she said. This same vendor sent a natural light picture to me from a north facing window. The strand on the bottom is the cheapest and my eyes keep going to it in this photo, I bet because of the light positioning and it being closest to the camera.

1682269357649.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
North facing window natural light pics.

20230424_064811.jpg 20230424_064718.jpg

In all of these pics, the strand I'm thinking of buying is on the bottom. The one right above it is another option. The 2 on top are granpearl strands for comparison (and are hilariously out of my budget)

@NY_Resonant @yssie

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
North facing window natural light pics.

20230424_064811.jpg 20230424_064718.jpg

In all of these pics, the strand I'm thinking of buying is on the bottom. The one right above it is another option. The 2 on top are granpearl strands for comparison (and are hilariously out of my budget)

@NY_Resonant @yssie

I see they weren’t able to do the YES positioning that Yssie suggested unfortunately. So there are some photographic distortions for sure in what we see regarding contrast but across the multiple pictures with spotlight and natural light my personal views are:

1) Yes, the granpearls are still more lustrous by a *small* amount. There is a reason they are more expensive after all and it is very hard to get that certification. With that said, these strands look great. They seem to come very close to the Granpearls.

2) In *every* picture, my personal taste is the one you chose over the other 8-8.5mm strand. I feel it has a cooler tone and it appears more “alive” to my eyes. The light just reflects brighter. It also wins on contrast in both natural light pictures plus I saw nothing indicating the other strand had more contrast in the spotlight pictures.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see they weren’t able to do the YES positioning that Yssie suggested unfortunately. So there are some photographic distortions for sure in what we see regarding contrast but across the multiple pictures with spotlight and natural light my personal views are:

1) Yes, the granpearls are still more lustrous by a *small* amount. There is a reason they are more expensive after all and it is very hard to get that certification. With that said, these strands look great. They seem to come very close to the Granpearls.

2) In *every* picture, my personal taste is the one you chose over the other 8-8.5mm strand. I feel it has a cooler tone and it appears more “alive” to my eyes. The light just reflects brighter. It also wins on contrast in both natural light pictures plus I saw nothing indicating the other strand had more contrast in the spotlight pictures.

Thanks! My eyes see the same thing. I prefer the strand I chose vs the other non granpearl due to body color and contrast. I also agree that the granpearl strands are a touch nicer (as expected given the price), but I think IRL it would be hard for me to truly notice a difference. Plus, the granpearl strands are 2x the price of the one I am buying, and I definitely dont find them 2x nicer.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto to you both! Yes, the Granpearl strands are more contrasty and more evenly colour-matched. But the improvements are slight... We all know how those sorts of incremental improvements at this quality level can do mind-boggling things to pricing. The value for money calculation wouldn't redeem the extra Granpearl expense for most people

I actually prefer the third strand from the top in these latest photos, because I think the gloss luster is better - reflections of fingers are more sharp. My eyes are also interpreting it to be a touch more contrasty, which is interesting because it sounds like that’s the opposite of what both of you see - I put this down to it being darker-bodied than the bottom-most strand. Which is totally a preference thing and might explain why we’re not all in alignment!

They’re both beautiful strands and IMO it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other ❤️

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thritto to you both! Yes, the Granpearl strands are more contrasty and more evenly colour-matched. But the improvements are slight... We all know how those sorts of incremental improvements at this quality level can do mind-boggling things to pricing. The value for money calculation wouldn't redeem the extra Granpearl expense for most people

I actually prefer the third strand from the top in these latest photos, because I think the gloss luster is better - reflections of fingers are more sharp. My eyes are also interpreting it to be a touch more contrasty, which is interesting because it sounds like that’s the opposite of what both of you see - I put this down to it being darker-bodied than the bottom-most strand. Which is totally a preference thing and might explain why we’re not all in alignment!

They’re both beautiful strands and IMO it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other ❤️

I agree with you that the gloss on the third strand is slightly better, Yssie. With regards to contrast, when I zoom in — I see brighter whites and darker blacks On the 4th strand? Contrast is where the lighting and camera-placement matters the most though, so with their current placement I’m not sure how solid any of our views are when strands are this close in quality…

The funny thing about this vendor is that they treat the surface color as strictly better if it’s whiter. Grade 1 on color is pure white, 2 is white (Which includes white with a slight amount of cream at the bottom of this range), etc.

Those who like darker bodies might be able to find a good pricing deal with this vendor since they will grade the strand overall lower because of that.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you that the gloss on the third strand is slightly better, Yssie. With regards to contrast, when I zoom in — I see brighter whites and darker blacks On the 4th strand? Contrast is where the lighting and camera-placement matters the most though, so with their current placement I’m not sure how solid any of our views are when strands are this close in quality…
Yeah. I just looked at them on my computer. My eyes are grateful sorting pearls isn't their job. :lol:

The funny thing about this vendor is that they treat the surface color as strictly better if it’s whiter. Grade 1 on color is pure white, 2 is white (Which includes white with a slight amount of cream at the bottom of this range), etc.

Those who like darker bodies might be able to find a good pricing deal with this vendor since they will grade the strand overall lower because of that.
Interesting! Great to know for those of us who don't mind a darker body!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's so interesting, because I dont really see the third one as darker, but DO see it as pinker, and the bottom as bluer. But I really cant see differences in luster, contrast, gloss between them.

But these natural light pics definitely help, and make me feel like I'm making the right choice :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so interesting, because I dont really see the third one as darker, but DO see it as pinker, and the bottom as bluer. But I really cant see differences in luster, contrast, gloss between them.

But these natural light pics definitely help, and make me feel like I'm making the right choice :)

I read the bottom most as cooler too, same as you and NY_R :cool2:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

I am sure you will be very happy when you see the necklace.

We are talking about very high quality pieces here all around.

There are times when one piece is strictly better than another but in this case it really is just about preferences in color and FEEL for each strand.

Note: I made the mistake of going to a high-end jewelry brand (Not tier 1) sample sale this weekend. They had a 7-7.5mm Pearl necklace (Retail at $12000, sample sale priced at $3500-ish)... My fiancée put it on and a passerby commented on how beautiful it looked. My fiancée and I just looked at each other, smiled and handed the necklace back to the SA. It wasn’t ugly, yellow or anything like that but compared to ANYTHING we saw in Japan? It didn’t hold a candle to what you will get.

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I prefer the third down. For the same reasons Yessie stated. I'm sure if you could see the bottom two in real life it would be much easier . I hate choosing from photos but 'needs must' as the saying goes.
The bottom one certainly looks less pink and I do have a preference for some pinking but I prefer the lustre on the top Hanadama. tbh I think you would be more than happy with either. They are beautiful.

When trying to make a selection I find it easier to narrow the field before I start by deciding on size and colour and grade - Then only look at those strands.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picked them up today and I am floored. These are crappy pics from my car outside the postal box place because I couldn't wait. I've never seen pearls this lustrous.

And the matching earrings are icing on the cake :)

No idea why in some of my pics it looks like the top pearls aren't round. They are, but something about the angle makes them look oval. Weird optical illusion

20230518_131819.jpg 20230518_131737.jpg 20230518_131832.jpg 20230518_131824.jpg 20230518_131801.jpg 20230518_131759.jpg 20230518_131755.jpg 20230518_131752.jpg 20230518_131747.jpg 20230518_131744.jpg 20230518_131742.jpg 20230518_131750.jpg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

Can’t wait to see it on your neck!!

Any way we can see comparison shots with a Takahashi pearl if you have them too?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Picked them up today and I am floored. These are crappy pics from my car outside the postal box place because I couldn't wait. I've never seen pearls this lustrous.

And the matching earrings are icing on the cake :)

No idea why in some of my pics it looks like the top pearls aren't round. They are, but something about the angle makes them look oval. Weird optical illusion

20230518_131819.jpg 20230518_131737.jpg 20230518_131832.jpg 20230518_131824.jpg 20230518_131801.jpg 20230518_131759.jpg 20230518_131755.jpg 20230518_131752.jpg 20230518_131747.jpg 20230518_131744.jpg 20230518_131742.jpg 20230518_131750.jpg

Oh my word!!!! Those are amazing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics on my neck in different lighting (car and sun). Didn't have time to take any in the shade or compare to my Takahashi pair that I have in my jewelry box (I also need to remember what Yy said the quality of that pair was).

20230518_152352.jpg 20230518_152357.jpg 20230518_153012.jpg 20230518_145357.jpg 20230518_145401.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results