shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing Prices - Pearl Paradise vs. Takahashi

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Hello lovely ladies,

I am just getting into pearls and would love to purchase a pear of 8-8.5 Akoya studs for my wedding in May. Pricescope helped me find my OEC, so I thought it would be just as helpful with pearls. I've already learned so much about pearls and vendors, and wanted to better understand my options.

I reached out to Takahashi after reading rave reviews here and got some pictures back (they are so so nice!), but it is a tad more expensive than I was hoping to spend. I also have an appointment with Pearl Paradise tomorrow and from what I can see on their site, the price looks to be roughly half for Pearl Paradise.

My question is, do people think double the price for Takahashi's pearls (Hanadama quality Akoya) is worth the quality? Or should I try Pearl Paradise and spend less? The price isn't untenable for Takahashi but would be grateful for people's thoughts! Paging @yssie since I know she's the Pearl Queen!

Many thanks in advance for your expertise!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi is twice as much as Pearl Paradise?

Can you link to whatever you’re looking at on PP? And are you wanting PSL certified pearls from Takahashi?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Takahashi is twice as much as Pearl Paradise?

Can you link to whatever you’re looking at on PP? And are you wanting PSL certified pearls from Takahashi?

Hi Yssie!

Yes of course - https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...s/80-85-mm-white-hanadama-pearl-stud-earrings

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure what PSL certified pearls are, but I believe Yy mentioned some are not certified. I requested ones with great lustre and a pinkish tone. The first ones she recommended were actually even more, but I said it would be lovely to find some closer to my price range, and they look great as well. Perhaps I didn't put in the right request?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say if you’re going to PP to see them in person, and you love what you see, then go for it and save the $$. Better to buy something you’ve seen and love I think.

I’m a big Takahashi fan but mostly cause I can’t see pearls in person from other vendors either, and the quality of pearls vascillates so much even from one online vendor. If I lived close enough to PP to see options in person, I’d likely go that route if the price was better. I go with Takahashi because I trust Yy’s eye and I have not found Pp to be able to match the price for some of my requests (like my ombré strand etc)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @MakingTheGrade! If you're going in-person, and you're able to actually look at a few options and let your eyes choose - I would 100% go that route!! There's just nothing like seeing pearls in-person ❤️

Takahashi often provides excellent value for cost - but in your case I would definitely not recommend paying more to buy blind with no return option. Please take lots of photos for us at PP tomorrow!!! :appl:

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Oh I wish I could go see them in person, unfortunately I am in the Bay Area! I do have an appointment to see them online, so maybe that would still be helpful?

Would ladies here suggest that I be request seeing similarly priced pearls at Takahashi before making my decision? It doesn't sound like I need to necessarily shell out double the amount for the quality of pearls!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I wish I could go see them in person, unfortunately I am in the Bay Area! I do have an appointment to see them online, so maybe that would still be helpful?

Would ladies here suggest that I be request seeing similarly priced pearls at Takahashi before making my decision? It doesn't sound like I need to necessarily shell out double the amount for the quality of pearls!

Ohh gotcha. Okay - seeing online is different... Beause most video conferencing services use a ton of compression, so image resolution is poor.

Here's what I'd do. Have your Pearl Paradise rep pick out her or his favourite couple of pairs and send you photos of the PSL reports. Assuming there are no flags in those reports, if you're able - buy both, have them shipped out to you, and choose your favourite in-person. Pearl Paradise offers free returns so if you can stomach the initial outlay it's a no-risk proposition for you, with the upside of having complete confidence in your choice.

Takahashi's pricing would have to be significantly lower than Pearl Paradise's to merit taking the risk of buying blind with no return option, in my opinion. Also, my last package from Takahashi was stuck in US customs for over three weeks - and the delays are apparently ubiquitous, might be cutting it a bit too close on timing for a May event!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
That is so so helpful @yssie! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. That's an excellent point on the pricing and timing as my wedding is early May also!

I wanted to understand if I was missing out on some insane quality on Takahashi, and while it sounds like they have stunning pearls, I should be happy with Pearl Paradise as well.

Thank you all!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I'm surprised Takahashi's price was double. Looking at the PP studs you linked, I paid less for my gem quality 8.5-9 mm akoya studs with gold backs from TK. Perhaps the quality you requested is the reason for the difference. Another consideration when comparing prices is the $100 shipping cost plus duties.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've noticed some price differences in Akoyas, but I feel my TK are the best. While my earrings and strands aren't certified, I don't think it can get much better (PEPCA certs aside) and the prices have been excellent! I've had to pay import crap on only one order, making it on par with PP when they had their sale. I've purchased a GSS drop pendant from PP but would love to see what they have. I live close to PP. I'm going to make an appointment for next week just for the hell of it. Why not?! I'm super curious about seeing their best goodies and I'll be able to compare them to my Takahashi.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Wellll it was a big miscommunication oops! I think Yy-san must have thought I also wanted a necklace and earrings, hence double the cost LOL. She will pull some options for me to take a look, and I have an online appointment with PP as well. Price-wise TK is actually coming in a little lower!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed some price differences in Akoyas, but I feel my TK are the best. While my earrings and strands aren't certified, I don't think it can get much better (PEPCA certs aside) and the prices have been excellent! I've had to pay import crap on only one order, making it on par with PP when they had their sale. I've purchased a GSS drop pendant from PP but would love to see what they have. I live close to PP. I'm going to make an appointment for next week just for the hell of it. Why not?! I'm super curious about seeing their best goodies and I'll be able to compare them to my Takahashi.

I’d love to see the result of this, take photos!

Reactions: Ann

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, crap! They're still closed. I thought LA County was open. Oh, well! I was told by the rep that their photos are higher quality than the Zoom call, so I've requested photos, which I will receive by the end of today. I opted not to do a Zoom because I don't have any questions. I asked for their very best WSS since I don't need Akoyas right now and can't truly compare them anyhow. Here is part of our chat:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 12.45.02 PM.png

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go with TK after all, although there is a risk that it won't arrive in time (fingers crossed no issues in the next 5 weeks!!). The lustre on their pearls looked more beautiful to me, so hoping for the best! I so appreciate all the helpful threads, I learned so much about pearls in a short amount of time!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to go with TK after all, although there is a risk that it won't arrive in time (fingers crossed no issues in the next 5 weeks!!). The lustre on their pearls looked more beautiful to me, so hoping for the best! I so appreciate all the helpful threads, I learned so much about pearls in a short amount of time!

Fingers crossed for a speedy delivery!!!

basketball123

Rough_Rock
Hello OP, any update on the Pearl studs? Do you mind messaging me how much the total ended up being?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results