shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing 2 RBs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for a 2 carat RB upgrade and had the vendor send me comparison photos of a couple of stones I''m considering. Unfortunately he did not send IS images even though I asked for them.

Both stones have HCA scores under 2 and are ideal cut. Based on the photos below, do you guys prefer one over the other?

hika2.jpg

hika1.jpg

hika3.jpg

Appreciate your thoughts!

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Just from looking at those pics I would say the one on the left.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert, but I like the one on the left, too. It looks "brighter". Is there a significant color difference between the two?

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmm... both ideal cut you say.

I actually think the one on the right caught up my eye. Sure it doesn''t seem to have as much fire but I actually thought it was the better cut diamond from an initial impression.

Can''t wait to see the stats and hopefully an IS image.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to say from the pics... I like the one on the left better, I guess, but it looks to be more included-- are both the stones eye-clean? (obviously these are really magnified)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hard to say. The one on the left has definitely longer lgf''s, and I wonder if that''s why it looks a little more "lively" than the other.

I''d ask for IS images again.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Many thanks to everyone who gave their opinions.

I''ve finally gotten the IS pics. They look quite similar to me. Are they both good IS pics?
Leftstone.jpg
Rightstone.jpg

The specs of the stones are below. Both are eye-clean.

2.41 H SI1
8.60 x 8.64x 5.32
HCA 0.8
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 54%
Girdle: th-m
Fluor: stg blue
Sym: vg
Pol: vg
8.60 x 8.64x 5.32

2.44 ct I SI2
8.64-8.67x5.31
HCA 1.6
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 57%
Girdle: m
Fluor: no
Sym: ex
Pol: ex

The stone on the left has strong blue fluoresence which can be seen in the earlier pics, I think. The vendor assures me it is not hazy. The facet outlines appear a little less crisp then the stone on the right though, so I''m a little worried.

Also, is the 54% table a concern? I actually like smaller tables, but I''m wondering how a smaller table affects the performance of the stone.

I really appreciate any and all comments.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
For those that can read for detail (not me, really), I''d include crown & pavilion angles.

Otherwise, both certainly are attractive.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
I think smaller table = more fire, which is why the stone was lower on the HCA.

I think overall I would like the H/SI1 better... with SB flour it will likely face up very white.

Is the SI2 eye-clean?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
both look lovely, but I''d like to see the crown/pavillion angles to know more. The IS images look nice on both.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I think the magnified shots are amplifying the color difference, which is made more apparent by that fluoresence. Too many unanswered questions though to make a decision. No angles or details on inclusions make it hard for me to pass judgement.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Both stones are eye-clean according to the vendor. Both have twinning wisps, but the plot on the SI2 looks much worse.

The GIA certs
HCA 0.8
2-1.jpg

HCA 1.6
2-2.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pick based on the info given, would be the H SI1. Just check the strong blue fluorescence isn't an issue, but I doubt it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both IS images look great.

Since you say they''re both eyeclean, and the flo isn''t affecting the one, it could come down to how they''ll look. The one on the left is going to have a more splintered scintillation. The other will have some splinters but with big bold flashes.

If you don''t have a preference, pick one out of a hat.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results