shape
carat
color
clarity

Comfortable shoes for standing all day job

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter got a job as a front desk receptionist at a resort, so she is standing all day. What is the most comfortable shoe with support that some of you may wear? They have to be solid black.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if any of these recommendations will be helpful but perhaps. Congrats to your DD and good luck to her with her new job.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go to a podiatrist and get nice cushioning orthotics made

I once took my shoes to the podiatrist so he could tell me which ones were the bad ones

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The Asics Kayano shoes are expensive, but incredibly supportive and comfortable!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the replies!

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
If she needs to wear leather shoes rather than athletic footwear, SAS (San Antonio Shoes) are very comfortable. The drawback is that they are not very fashionable (I refer to their shop as the old peoples' store). My 26 year-old -daughter has a couple of pairs - she is a teacher and says the comfort outweighs the lack of style :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of friends/coworkers who work in labs all day. They swear by shoes sold at Chef/resturant supply places. I believe there are catalogues you can order from too!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its sorry knowing what the floor is made of
Concrete is terrible

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Not sure if she can have white soles, but these are simple, casual shoes that have great arch support. If you search their website for a nearby retailer, I’m sure they’d offer other great brands.

Naot brand is awesome if you get the correct fit/footbed.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another option—Wolky brand. I am kind of into quality shoes from an old back injury! This brand is very comfortable for standing and activity. I scored a pair for 75% off at a local podiatrist’s office!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its sorry knowing what the floor is made of
Concrete is terrible

This is so true. Concrete is unforgiving as are other materials. For the kitchen it was one of the reasons we went with wood. My friend went with cork floors in the kitchen and that is a very forgiving material for one's back as is natural wood.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so true. Concrete is unforgiving as are other materials. For the kitchen it was one of the reasons we went with wood. My friend went with cork floors in the kitchen and that is a very forgiving material for one's back as is natural wood.

If only all shopping malls had cork floors
My last work just had concrete
No carpet and certainky no underlay
Years ago when i worked in the garden centre we had tarseal which was very nice underfoot till they laid concrete tiles over it

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I wear black mesh crocs slip-on loafers (they look like regular shoes not crocs) and have no problem walking the equivalent of 6 - 8 miles per day at work.

But honestly the shoes are not the primary thing that saves me; my socks are! It is no exaggeration to say that I cannot do my job without them. They come in all colors, styles, sizes, but I always wear black and that way they help my mesh shoes look like solid material.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feet vary.
A shoe that a podiatrist would recommend for one person might not be recommended for another person.
Again, feet vary.

So don't listen to anyone who says shoe X is good for everyone's feet.

Do what I did, spend some bucks; see a podiatrist so (s)he can tell you what to avoid and what to look for when shoe shopping.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feet vary.
A shoe that a podiatrist would recommend for one person might not be recommended for another person.
Again, feet vary.

So don't listen to anyone who says shoe X is good for everyone's feet.

Do what I did, spend some bucks; see a podiatrist so (s)he can tell you what to avoid and what to look for when shoe shopping.

I agree Kenny
An appointment isnt even all that exspensive here

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Flats or heels?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Briefly i went to sports shoes for a rest from work boots
I was wearing out a $300 shoe in under 3 months on the concrete floor

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crocs - they make a range for the catering trade.

They may not be the best looking shoes about, however, they are really comfortable, and I wear them all the time.

I worry about not being able to get hold of them after reading reports of their factory closure(s), so I stockpile them, and have at least 8 pairs in my closet at present. :lol-2:

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Nursing shoes/clogs are super comfortable. I like to take them to conventions for this reason. Paired with dress slacks, they blend in and do not call attention. Like walking on clouds.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I wear Sanita brand clogs. A lot of doctors and nurses wear them. They take some getting used to but I have been wearing them for 14 years now. When I worked 80 hours a week I would go through a pair every 1.5-2 years but now that I work less they last much longer (I actually can't remember when I bought this current pair, which suggests it's been at least 4 years).

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just recently bought Brooks Ghost sneakers...I walk about13,000 to 15,000 steps a day (thats per my Apple watch) and as high as 22,000 steps per day on the weekends and I got these Brooks sneakers and I was able to put these on as soon as I bought them and have worn them ever sense, I have custom orthotics that I did end up putting in them here recently due to some pain from something I have called a "pump bump" it has a official name but its too long for me to remember. But so far I like these sneakers.....

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on her new job! Closed or open toe, and how dressy? Sketchers have a lot of comfortable options.

ETA for anyone reading this thread who is looking for dressy, try Ferragamo — not cheap but they are very comfortable and last so long that there is a great price/wear ratio.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is! I wonder if front desk staff would be permitted to put a floor pad behind the counter. Everybody's joints would be much happier.

The only time i ever ever ever called in the union was when our anti fatigue matting was taken out
Oh boy management had it put back in before i even got off the phone

This kind of matting should be mandatory for everyone standing behind a desk on a concrete floor at work

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on her new job! Closed or open toe, and how dressy? Sketchers have a lot of comfortable options.

ETA for anyone reading this thread who is looking for dressy, try Ferragamo — not cheap but they are very comfortable and last so long that there is a great price/wear ratio.
As ive said elsewhere in this thread
just a warning about sketches to anyone with a high arch

Don't go near ssketches with a 10 ft barge pole i say to anyone who has a high arch
Sketches almost killed me over xmas and after hearing such good things about them ....
I mean i was whimpering in bed with the pain
They will cripple someone with a high arch
Also the first pair were falling apart after 3 months (i only work part time so i wasn't walking in them every day - well only 4 days a week)
So i had read that memory foam doesn't actually last all that long so on the day of Melanie's funeral i hobbled back into the mall and brought another pair while still not knowing what was wrong and that the whole design of the sketches was to blame
i could hardly walk for weeks - (more like a couple of months) and i have to walk an hour to work and then stand at my job on a concrete floor and then walk home again - i was in constant agony standing, sitting, lying down, with or without shoes on, i begin to see why people get hooked on pain killers

I think i was also starting to get Plantar fasciitis
The pain was horrendous, i could not sleep and even cut down my hours at work plus my sciatica started to play up and had never been so bad which was causing even more problems (im only 50 and have walked everywhere my whole life)

within hours of wearing my new Asics i could feel releaf
Actually i would almost say just walking back accross the street to the car i was starting to feel better

The lady at the 'proper' sports shoe store told me sketches are more leisure type shoes not for walking actual distance

also i have never had stinky feet before but the sketches got stinky

And they also are narrow in the toe - i have a typical wide kiwi foot
i had blisters for weeks - maybe 6 !
There are pictures around here somewhere - i lost 3 toenails thinking i was wearing them in
The 2nd pair i got slip ons and didn't blister as bad

But i didn't even get a single blister in the Asics - even without having time to wear them in before work the nect day and also thankfully my sciatica has calmed down again

I have never been able to wear cheap shoes
but ive also worn fairly exspensive steel toed leather work boots daily for years and years
i never had any problem with the work boots once they had been worn in but that ment i pretty much had no idea what to buy in the here and now starting a new job
the sketchers were $150
I thought well that's not cheap cheap so maybe they will be ok ?
Wrong !

Perhaps they come in different sorts or better quality
But sketches are a very dirty word in our house now

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results