shape
carat
color
clarity

Coloured Stoners - What would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies/Gents - your help is needed!

I''m just about to give the go-ahead to my jeweller to set my Chameleon diamond. Everything I''ve wanted so far has been either too expensive or just didn''t rock my world. I''m now down to two options.

Option 1:

Set in Platinum with yellow gold prongs for the Chameleon, surrounded by a delicate halo of diamonds. The plus for this is that it will make the central diamond look bigger. The con is that I have so many halos, do I really want another? Will I get bored if it''s a halo? I love the way David has used the central prongs holding each white diamond to create a space so the halo is light and airy. This is my inspiration (a fabulous ring made by David at Diamonds By Lauren). David I hope you don''t mind me putting this photo here?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option 2:

I have no idea where I got this original picture from but I''ve kept it for ages. I love the clean modern lines on this setting. This is like nothing I have so would be a great addition. Again, I''m thinking Platinum (either for the whole ring or for everything apart from the central U holding the Chameleon which could be yellow gold). The pro of this ring is that I love the setting and don''t have anything like it. The con is that I''m having difficulty visualising it with my chameleon and two 4 x 2 baguettes (which I took out of another ring recently). I''m not sure if the proportions would work - chameleon is 6 x 5 overall.

If you opt for this ... would you use all platinum or a mix of platinum/yellow gold?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So which one would you choose?

Option 1

Option 2 - all platinum

Option 2 - platinum / yellow gold

or

none of the above!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like #1 because it is romantic!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
LD, if I was the owner of that gorgeous chameleon, I'd do a yellow gold head and white metal shank.

The yellow gold will help bring out the stones yellow/orange tones. It will also make the stone color look richer and deeper.

The style of the head is up to you, but definitely incorporate yellow gold somewhere!

ETA: I just got my ring back from the jewelers and I used a yellow gold head with a white gold shank. The yellowish/champagne sidestones look nice with the yellow gold. I'll post some pics on SMTR soon so you can see.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I like the 2nd style, but I''m not sure about mixing two different colored metals with it....

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a chameleon diamond and the stone was set with yellow gold prongs and the rest was a white gold halo. I traded it in.......(WAAH! I miss that ring!).....but I vote that you definately have yellow gold around the stone. Are those your only setting options? One is very princess Diana looking and the other is very modern based on the cad. What style setting would you wear the most and will you like this setting 5, 10, 20 years from now?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer - it is romantic isn't it? CCN - you're right, it also looks like a Princess Diana ring and I'm afraid (and I'm a Brit so I'm allowed to say this!!!!), I didn't like her and I've never really been attracted to this style of ring because of that.

PB / CCN - I agree about the needing yellow gold near the Chameleon - it's literally screaming out for it BUT, like Mochi I'm not sure it will suit the style of Option 2.

CCN - why on earth did you sell your Chameleon????? No way????? You have my sympathies.

I did consider using 2 traps (white diamonds) on either side and all sorts of other designs but the problem was that I felt the chameleon would look too small.

Which style will I wear more? I do love halos but I do have rather a lot - so this wouldn't really be "special" and I want something different and special. I adore modern settings which is why I'm drawn to Option 2 because it's so clean and modern looking BUT I just can't visualise it.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 7:27:57 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Dreamer - it is romantic isn''t it? CCN - you''re right, it also looks like a Princess Diana ring and I''m afraid (and I''m a Brit so I''m allowed to say this!!!!), I didn''t like her and I''ve never really been attracted to this style of ring because of that.

PB / CCN - I agree about the needing yellow gold near the Chameleon - it''s literally screaming out for it BUT, like Mochi I''m not sure it will suit the style of Option 2.

CCN - why on earth did you sell your Chameleon????? No way????? You have my sympathies.

I did consider using 2 traps (white diamonds) on either side and all sorts of other designs but the problem was that I felt the chameleon would look too small.

Which style will I wear more? I do love halos but I do have rather a lot - so this wouldn''t really be ''special'' and I want something different and special. I adore modern settings which is why I''m drawn to Option 2 because it''s so clean and modern looking BUT I just can''t visualise it.
LD, in that case, I''d vote for Setting #2 in all Platinum. Setting #1 looks a little busy in my eyes. Maybe a smaller halo?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Do you just want those two options, or are you open to more suggestions?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
option #2, please. sleek, modern, timeless. can be worn w/o fear of snagging. could be worn to the lumberyard, garden center, to that 4 star restaurant.

mz

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
I vote for option #1. I think it''s very classic and elegant
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like option 2 a lot and would go with the 2 tone option. I think it''s very contemporary (clean sleek lines) which makes it look uber expensive.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on the sleek, modern approach a la option 2. I''d go even simpler... i.e., ditching the surprise diamond.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have to agree with MZ that #2 is more versatile and that''s one of the reasons I''d go for it (the other one is that halos are everywhere these days and I like it when people get something a little different than everybody else).

I''m not sure about the choice of metal, cause I usually like yellow stones in yellow gold, but this is not your "ordinary yellow stone" - it''s more of a color changer, right? That''s why I think it could also work in platinum as it''s changes of moods would be more noticable
2.gif

The only thing that I would change in that setting is the lenght of bars holding the center stone; I''d have them only as far as the corners, nothing longer than that. I''d have them as long as they are in this photo only in case of a princess cut. The side stones should fit it without problems in terms of proportions.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Dude, *takes a toke* so totally option 2 with yellow gold. Do you have anything to eat? I got the munchies.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wish I could help you here LD, but I like both settings.
31.gif

That stone would look great in solitaire as well. It''s really beautiful enough to stand by itself.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 8:38:59 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Wish I could help you here LD, but I like both settings.
31.gif

That stone would look great in solitaire as well. It''s really beautiful enough to stand by itself.

Like a Legato or Leon...
30.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

LD

Neither of your two options float my boat on this occasion. I like the two tone idea, just not sure which two metals. In your picture your diamond looks greenish to me. Is that just me or does it show green? If so, I might consider green gold. I like the soft and subtle colours of James Meyer settings, but below are the two settings I would consider if your "Diana Moran" stone was mine:

Option 1 is Phillip Schmidt

Phillip Schmidt solitaire 01.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Option 2 is Leon:

More gems 0382.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh... I'll second Gailey's Phillip Schmidt nomination -- what a perfect way to show off that fantastic stone!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Ok... I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Gailey''s rings...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
In this case I''d probably go with #1. Depends hat look you''re going for though.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like number 2 for this stone- sleek and clean!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubycharm, VRBeauty, Mochi, Innerkitten, Icekid - thank you all for your input.

Ltlfirecracker - am always open to any other suggestions! On this occasion I''ve exhausted my brain so any help is gratefully received!

Kismet - hope you''ve come down now and didn''t eat too much chocolate!
31.gif

Moviezombie - I agree. #2 is a ring that could be worn anywhere and I guess that''s what I''m trying to achieve - although I hadn''t actually thought of wearing it to a lumber yard!!!!

Chrono - thank you for your input and kind words.

Mr ma re - thank you for chiming in. I agree about yellow stones/yellow metal normally and I''m soooooo not sure how #2 would work with two tone gold. The chameleon itself (after a night asleep in the dark) looks more greenish (like the photo of it above) but then over about an hour it gets more yellow - a very rich warm yellow and the fire is AMAZING. I hate to liken it to anything but it reminds me of a Sphene (criminal thing to say I know!). I''m not sure I''d classify it as a colour changer per se but much more a subtle shift. Does that change your mind on the use of all platinum? Also, I was interested to hear your thoughts on the length of the bars holding the Chameleon. If I make them shorter I was worried that I''d expose the outer edges to knocks, bangs, chips etc which is why I elongated the bars a bit. Am I wrong? Would it be safe with shorter bars (i.e. from cut corner to cut corner)?

TL - if the chameleon were bigger I''d go for a solitaire but it''s not big enough for me so I need it to look more substantial - hence trying to design a bigger look!

Gailey - sorry hun. Those are really not to my taste. I wouldn''t bezel this gorgeous beauty for anything! Sorry! Thank you for taking the time to trying to find alternatives though. Always gratefully received!

If anybody has seen a similar setting to #2 in two tone gold could you post up a piccie for me please?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I''m even more confused! I just looked at the Chameleon with platinum and yellow gold and ........... I still can''t make my mind up! The platinum is a "cooler" look and the yellow gold really warms up the Chameleon but does it look to similar in tone?????

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the range of colours I see in her. Green when she''s come from complete darkness to a gorgeous striking yellow/orange during daylight (which doesn''t photograph well).

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LD, when I saw your reply, I went back and looked at the two images I posted and asked myself what it was I liked about them. I think it''s because in both cases you get a good view of the pavillion. Interesting.

Have you thought about which colours appeal to you most in your diamond? For instance, if the yellow appeals to you more than the green, would not the yellow gold accentuate that colour. And green gold would pick out the green tones in the stone more. I guess if you want to enjoy the full range of colours it shows then the more neutral white gold or platinum might be an option.

What a difficult decision picking alloys is, I don''t envy you in that respect, but I am looking forward to seeing what you eventually decide on.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For any other gemstone I''d have picked the first setting you posted as it''s truly lovely - it''s just for THIS project, I need something that truly makes my heart flutter. Do you know what I mean??? I also love the fact that you can see the pavillion and I think that''s partially why I''m leaning towards setting #2.

The green of the chameleon doesn''t last for more than half an hour. The longer it''s in light (either electric or daylight) the diamond starts becoming more yellow with orange/green flashes. In daylight it is very yellow and that''s the colour that I think I''m going to see predominately. So I think picking the alloy for the green colour would be wrong. So, like you say, I''ve either got to got with the yellow to enhance the yellowness (is there such a word???) or go for something more neutral to reflect all the colours.

Decisions, decisions! Would be great if I could make just one!!!
7.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Remind me LD, is your little beauty a calibrated size? If so, why not try and get yourself a couple of cheapy settings in the different alloys and seeing what it looks like in each.

Miss Platrocks had a good idea and went with a 14k setting to see if she would be pleased with the colour combo. Maybe that''s an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results