shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour zoning, pink sapphire

tomj4

Rough_Rock
Hello. :)

This 0.64ct, untreated pink sapphire has strong colour "reflection" or colour zoning, I do not know, I am just a beginner. Do you think that it´s possible that after set in in the white gold ring it will dissapear or at least it will not be so visible?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    659.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 24

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see what I consider color zoning. But the cut isn't great so there's a window, and in the sun pic there's some extinction.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're being fooled -- flip the stone in the second picture and the opposite half will black out. It's a function of the angle of the incident light. What does it look like with overhead light?

Ovals can have this feature where one half looks darker with light at an angle. Also can have extinction (apparent darkening) in the middle -- the so-called bowtie effect.

tomj4

Rough_Rock
I think you're being fooled -- flip the stone in the second picture and the opposite half will black out. It's a function of the angle of the incident light. What does it look like with overhead light?

Ovals can have this feature where one half looks darker with light at an angle. Also can have extinction (apparent darkening) in the middle -- the so-called bowtie effect.

Extiction is visible mostly under direct light. I know, cut is not optimal, but I would like to know if I set in in the ring it will be more/less visible.

Screenshot_7.png Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_5.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see edge to see how shallow it is. And I can't tell if there is a window since the background is out of focus. I think it's pretty enough for an inexpensive and modestly-sized unheated sapphire.

Setting will close a window a bit and probably worsen any extinction. I would prong-set which I'm guessing was the plan anyway for this color.

Comes down to whether it was a decent value and what your budget is. Issue with a small stone is that you're stuck investing in a halo, maybe...?

tomj4

Rough_Rock
I can't see edge to see how shallow it is. And I can't tell if there is a window since the background is out of focus. I think it's pretty enough for an inexpensive and modestly-sized unheated sapphire.

Setting will close a window a bit and probably worsen any extinction. I would prong-set which I'm guessing was the plan anyway for this color.

Comes down to whether it was a decent value and what your budget is. Issue with a small stone is that you're stuck investing in a halo, maybe...?

There is window, but I am afraid of that "light zone" in the middle of zone- extiction?

I want just very simple ring- oval pave ring. Will this setting "pick up" the excition in the middle of the gemstone?

Thank you! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The middle part is called a bow tie, not extinction (belt area that can turn light or darken, depending on the light direction.

The stone also exhibits shadowing (half light, half dark that switches position based on the light direction).

My experience is that these issues tend to magnify once set. These are cut issues.

tomj4

Rough_Rock
The middle part is called a bow tie, not extinction (belt area that can turn light or darken, depending on the light direction.

The stone also exhibits shadowing (half light, half dark that switches position based on the light direction).

My experience is that these issues tend to magnify once set. These are cut issues.

Thank you :)
Dou you think that this sapphire is worth to set in in some cheaper oval pave setting or not?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these issues bother you, I recommend not setting the stone as it’ll “grow” in your mind over time. If they don’t bother you, then set and enjoy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results