shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour Preference

Which tone do you prefer on a tsavorite?

• Medium dark?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the medium darks better. There''s something about the richness of color in a medium dark as well as that slight bluish tinge.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Medium dark vote. After viewing Harriet and Pandora''s Tsav''s and comparing with medium stones, I just find the medium dark color to be rich in color and a bit mysterious. Of course, I know nothing of colored gems, so my preference is based on what draws me to the stone and nothing more. Medium stones can be very pretty as well, so it just depends on what you of course are drawn to.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Me too - medium - dark

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of rounds that are medium. I liked them until I saw what is now my medium-dark cushion.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I generally prefer medium to medium dark. That said, I agree that your oval looks more like a medium than medium dark. As for your tsavs, I prefer the oval to the octagon. I find that this type of octagon cut tends to look like there are windows when it is viewed at at even the slightest angle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 6:00:53 PM
Author: simplysplendid
I generally prefer medium to medium dark. That said, I agree that your oval looks more like a medium than medium dark. As for your tsavs, I prefer the oval to the octagon. I find that this type of octagon cut tends to look like there are windows when it is viewed at at even the slightest angle.
You bring up an interesting point about the perceived window when viewed at an angle. Does this happen to garnets too? I thought it should have a decently high RI to offset this?

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I like them both, but the cut of the octagon stone is really, really pretty. I''d go for that one!

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
I''m not a pro on the colors since I''m a newbie to the colored stone world but I do like the octagon shape. Look forward to seeing the new choices! I love looking at all the different pretty gems! Learning a lot as well.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I would really have to see the stones, but I suspect its a personal preference question more than anything. I chose stones closer to medium for my 5-stone ring, because I was trying to match a specific color, but I''m honestly not sure which I''d go for for a project where I just wanted a really nice tsavorite.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 8:08:00 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 3/8/2009 6:00:53 PM
Author: simplysplendid
You bring up an interesting point about the perceived window when viewed at an angle. Does this happen to garnets too? I thought it should have a decently high RI to offset this?
Hello!

I''m not sure about garnets, I don''t own one in the octagon cut. I have a tourmaline in the octagon cut and while the colour is really pretty, the "windows" bother me a little. I am guessing that the windows on the octagon cut will bother you. If the other two tsavs aren''t any better looking than these two, then I will definitely choose the oval that you have posted.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here's my malaya garnet from John B at Gemrite. The top row are vendor's pictures and the bottom ones are mine.

malaya garnet montage.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Sorry - wrong thread!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
It makes sense that you are seeing windows in your step cut tourmaline. Tourmalines, due to their low RI, will show this easily and often. As far as I know, garnets are less prone to the window tilt factor.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
have you decided?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I initially voted medium because you have more options to set it. But after seeing the pics, I like the oval cut stone better. BTW, my stone is medium dark, and I love it, it just took a bit of time to find a nice open setting for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I haven''t decided but Firecracker brought up a good reminder about the stone darkening a shade when set, which is a consideration as well.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 4:28:20 PM
Author: coatimundi
In general--medium.
Ditto
1.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
The octagon shape but the color of the med-dark.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the medium but both are lovely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 9:29:08 PM
Author: sonomacounty
The octagon shape but the color of the med-dark.
That''s EXACTLY what I want.
40.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:25:37 PM
No, I haven''t decided but Firecracker brought up a good reminder about the stone darkening a shade when set, which is a consideration as well.
I don''t think Ltlfirecracker was implying that every stone darkens when set. I think she was saying that you''d have to find the right setting.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, I''m so sorry. I didn''t mean to "torture" you. That always happens to me (the color/shape dilemma).

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 8:20:51 PM
SS,
It makes sense that you are seeing windows in your step cut tourmaline. Tourmalines, due to their low RI, will show this easily and often. As far as I know, garnets are less prone to the window tilt factor.
Ah.. I see.. thank you for the explanation, as you can see, I still have a lot to learn about coloured gemstones despite having loved them for so long..

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
That's EXACTLY what I want.
40.gif

LOL! I know what you mean. I get something in my head and that's exactly what I want. My advice is don't force it - you will know/feel it's the right stone. Yeah, I know, not much help, huh? As for the possible windows with the octagon cut, could someone advise as to whether the depth of the color would have any impact on this?

But I still like the octagon cut...................

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:45:13 AM
Author: secondhandnews
40.gif

LOL! I know what you mean. I get something in my head and that''s exactly what I want. My advice is don''t force it - you will know/feel it''s the right stone. Yeah, I know, not much help, huh? As for the possible windows with the octagon cut, could someone advise as to whether the depth of the color would have any impact on this?

Hmm, this is interesting. I just bought a Malaya garnet from Gene at precisiongem. It is cut in an octagon shape called a French button. This is what he had to say about it as far as windowing:

"The cut on this is called a French Button, which works very well for ganets and allows you to tilt the stone to any angle with out a window."

Apparently, an octagon shape must lend itself to windowing in garnets too. Don''t know about the depth of color question though.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono could you post the the depth of the two stones. I have a feeling the the oval is cut deeper. Which would effect the color seen.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
I am afraid I don''t have the depth information on hand. I''ll have to ask the vendor.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:45:13 AM
Author: secondhandnews
40.gif

LOL! I know what you mean. I get something in my head and that''s exactly what I want. My advice is don''t force it - you will know/feel it''s the right stone. Yeah, I know, not much help, huh? As for the possible windows with the octagon cut, could someone advise as to whether the depth of the color would have any impact on this?

It is helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results