shape
carat
color
clarity

colored gem engagement rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is a ring that I have. I bought it for myself for 5 year anniversary. it is a small ruby in a plain yellow gold setting.

I didn''t want to hijack someone else''s thread but wanted to offer up some suggestions for budget engagement rings.

kemmaruby2.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
another view

kemmaruby3.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
better focus worse color

kemmaruby4.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Great ring! I''m all for colored gemstones as budget e-rings. I''m in love with my 1.50ct amethyst with 3 diamonds on each side e-ring. Its a stand-in until I get my asscher or rb e-ring when my fiance graduates from college in a 1 1/2 years!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and not so budget.....we spent as much or more on my spess e-ring as many have on their diamond e-ring.

movie zombie

eta: for many of us, getting color was our first choice, not our 2nd. we put as much effort into our color e-rings as those in the diamond thread have or do. and we don't consider that we settled for less or that we have a 'budget' e-ring until we can get the real thing. for us, we have the real thing.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it.
Im thinking of getting wifey2b something like that for a 3rd rhr :}
pretty soon she is gonna run outa fingers LOL

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, she has ten toes too!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the compliments. I had to have it made and the sales lady thought i was nuts. It gets a lot of attention when i wear it.

i had it made at one of those helzberg redesign shows. came out to be about $500 in year 2000 dollars. the man did a beautiful job of setting the stone.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 1:28:52 AM
Author: movie zombie
and not so budget.....we spent as much or more on my spess e-ring as many have on their diamond e-ring.

movie zombie

eta: for many of us, getting color was our first choice, not our 2nd. we put as much effort into our color e-rings as those in the diamond thread have or do. and we don''t consider that we settled for less or that we have a ''budget'' e-ring until we can get the real thing. for us, we have the real thing.

AMEN MZ... Grrrrr.... yes some colored stones can be considered for "budget" e-rings, and I think if someone considers a colored stone a "budget" than it is best for them to get a diamond.

But I find it a offensive and it bristles my feathers to hear someone ignorantly states that it ( a gemstone) is good for a "stand-in."

I would never trade my ring for a diamond, and as MZ said, I spend just as much time and effeort as well as money as some put into their colorless stones.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
BTW Ladykemma,

I love you ruby, it is srumptous and you are right, it would make a fabulous and unique e-ring.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is a london blue topaz that i had from another ring. the stone had fallen out of a cheap setting. people think i am wearing a blue diamond. I have had questions about it.

BTW, this is from when i was in my colored gemstone phase and detested diamonds.

kemmabluetopaz3.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
side view

kemmabluetopaz2.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 8:13:41 AM
Author: MINE!!

movie zombie

eta: for many of us, getting color was our first choice, not our 2nd. we put as much effort into our color e-rings as those in the diamond thread have or do. and we don't consider that we settled for less or that we have a 'budget' e-ring until we can get the real thing. for us, we have the real thing.

AMEN MZ... Grrrrr.... yes some colored stones can be considered for 'budget' e-rings, and I think if someone considers a colored stone a 'budget' than it is best for them to get a diamond.

But I find it a offensive and it bristles my feathers to hear someone ignorantly states that it ( a gemstone) is good for a 'stand-in.'

I would never trade my ring for a diamond, and as MZ said, I spend just as much time and effeort as well as money as some put into their colorless stones.
agree. actually don't royalty get superb sapphires and rubies for wedding rings? that tells us something. My most expensive piece I own is my blue sapphire. not my diamonds.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 9:52:10 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
Great ring! I''m all for colored gemstones as budget e-rings. I''m in love with my 1.50ct amethyst with 3 diamonds on each side e-ring. Its a stand-in until I get my asscher or rb e-ring when my fiance graduates from college in a 1 1/2 years!
can you post a pic on here?

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 8:35:14 AM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 12/8/2006 8:13:41 AM
Author: MINE!!

movie zombie

AMEN MZ... Grrrrr.... yes some colored stones can be considered for 'budget' e-rings, and I think if someone considers a colored stone a 'budget' than it is best for them to get a diamond.

But I find it a offensive and it bristles my feathers to hear someone ignorantly states that it ( a gemstone) is good for a 'stand-in.'

agree. actually don't royalty get superb sapphires and rubies for wedding rings? that tells us something. My most expensive piece I own is my blue sapphire. not my diamonds.

Wow
33.gif
I'm pretty offended by that statement. It was intimidating for me to come to a forum where people are showing off their sapphires and big diamonds, and I'm all happy about my amethyst, a gem generally considered a 'budget gem' I did in no way mean to offend anyone, I come here with good intentions, only to be spoken down to by movie zombie and mine.

I really don't understand the need to quote me and berate what I said. I am far from ignorant, an accomplished college student and very informed of the world. Perhaps you should think before you type sometimes? Because my feathers are very "bristled" right now, and I did nothing to ask for it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
fashion victim - oh please show us your pretty ring!

i apologize for anything i said, didn''t mean anything by it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful ring! stunner! how will it fit with a white gold wedding band?

added: i don't wear it much these days- I'm into pearls. But my whims change with the season, and may start wearing it again next week.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t quite figured that out yet. we won''t marry until after he graduates in 3 semesters or so, so i''ve got a while.

Pearls are divine. I''m taking out my double strand bracelet for a christmas party tomorrow night!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you are offended Victim, but I am too am offended when someone insinuates that a gemstone is an acceptable ''stand in'' until they get the real thing. We have no problem with you showing your amethyst, matter a fact, I think that they are beautiful and we encourage people (I know I do) to be PROUD of their unique rings and not fell apologetic for it and make excuses for not having their diamond yet.

There are many people here that are very proud of their gemstones and find it a bit upsetting when people use them as a petty stand in.

I am glad that you are an accomplished college student, I will tell my college professor husband that they are still out there.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
That topaz has some great fire, and I like it in the warm color gold too!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I think some of us were offended in the same way i was offended when people thought my vegas wedding was going to be by elvis...no it was at the four seasons, and i spent much more than i would have at a large wedding back home in wisconsin.

I wanted a ruby ering, and it wasnt a budget ering, it took months and several gem dealers to find an untreated burmese ruby over 2cts. I could have gone to bailey banks and biddle and bought the ritani with a diamond for significantly less, but we created my ring and got a stone that was much more than a diamond. Lots of people were suprised when they saw i got a ruby, and immediately assumed it was ''cheaper'' than a diamond. its that kind of assumption that makes those of us with high quality colored pieces offended.

Not that there is anything wrong with inexpensive pieces, the necklace in my avatar was only 500 at 50% off at macys! Its not about us boasting about spending alot, just trying to break down the idea that many people (including my husband intially) have about colored stones being an inexpensive alternative to what a girl really wants. For me it was a preferance not a substitution!

not to go on forever, just trying to explain the defensive attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!

LK your ruby is beautiful! how i love rubies!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is nice to be able to educate people here...I learn so much and some of my preconceptions are debunked in a thread. I did not know way back for example that a top quality emerald (Colombian without any inclusions?) cost more than the equivalent sized diamond. And I love color, went the traditional white diamond route for my ring, but boy I love some of these colored rings and drool profusely...and I loved Velourial''s green stone that is sooooo incredible and makes an amazing ering because and emerald is not strong and not a good everyday choice...(ws it tsavorite? it is late and I am tired so I am blanking a bit)...he thought outside of the box and got his green loving fiance one of my all time favorites here.

I love anyone''s colored stone, and love the thought and creativity behind some of them. It is amazing if you have a favorite color and can find a lovely stone in that color...and get pleasure from it each time you see it. And I say if you plan to get a white diamond later to wear on the left hand, you are lucky because you have a gorgeous rhr ready to go that will vie for the left hand''s thunder any day!

widget

Ideal_Rock
This thread has taken an interesting turn...

Colored gemstones are a passion of mine, and I actually prefer them to diamonds. But that said, I find nothing offensive about considering them "stand-ins" for a future diamond, if a diamond is what a young bride dreams of...

The reality is that in general, they do cost less per carat than a diamond, and make wonderful and beautiful alternatives for young brides and grooms with limited budgets. I'm actually surprised that more people don't go this route in choosing an ering. (Thank DeBeers, I guess...)

Unfortunately this stance makes if tougher for those of who have indeed spent a ton of time and money choosing a special colored centerstone, which might be viewed by as a "stand-in" by some...

Not sure how to resolve this, except to quickly 'educate' the doubters...

widget

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
When I got engaged 18 yrs ago I told my hubby I wanted a sapphire only. He did look at diamonds (even though he knew I didn''t want one) but they were all mall store stones and icky. He ended up getting me a ceylon sapphire ring which I still have. Over the years I gradually became interested in diamonds and did eventually upgrade to one. I still wear my original set from time to time even though I don''t wear yellow gold much. I must say, though that my set wasn''t cheap. It was about 3K 18 years ago and that was during a going out of business sale. It wasn''t my cup of tea style wise, but he was of the mindset where I wasn''t allowed to pick it out. I do still love sapphires and as I''ve upgraded through the years, I always make sure there are sapphires in my set in some way. This way, hubby feels like at least I am carrying over something from the original set. When I upgraded at 15 years, I went with a yellow sapphire set. I recently went for the big and finally Tiffany upgrade, but my first love is colored stones. I know many people who have colored stone e-rings. I think they are very unique and not "just another diamond e-ring". Here are some pics of my 2 sapphire sets. These are run of the mill settings, not designer, which also kept the cost down for those on a budget.

orerg.JPG

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the 15 yr upgrade set.

yspering.jpg

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, people being what they are, they are going to believe whatever they choose to believe. You would not believe the comments I get, ranging from rude to ridiculous, and unsolicited comments too, because I never talk about my ring unless someone asks.

People in jewelry stores positively gawk at it and love it, but people in the general public think it''s "cheap" or "not a real ring", and to tell you the truth, I don''t care what people think. My own family, while jewelry obsessed enough to understand how expensive it is, thinks e-ring=diamonds, but I didn''t buy it for any of them; I bought it for me. I am not making it my mission in life to educate people by bragging on how expensive my ring really is, nor do I think trying to change the mindset of people a job I want to take on.

The fact is, for some people, a colored stone *is* a temp ring until they have the diamond they want and that''s ok too. I think for engaged couples on a limited budget, a nice colored stone e-ring is much preferable to the cheap crap I see most mall stores pedaling. It can be something to wear on your right hand after you upgrade, or a nice ring to pass down in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results