shape
carat
color
clarity

Color palette emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're currently having our house painted and so far it's just prep. But color will start to go on on Thursday and I'm in a quandary. My roof is a combo of gray and brown tiles that comes out a very natural looking greige color. The house is going the yellow in the attached photo and the front door will be aubergine - also in the photo. The windows and their trim are white. So here's my problem:

What color should I paint the hand rails leading up to the front door? I've thought of chocolate, but it's too close in color to the door. Black would be way too heavy. Cream will clash with the windows, so that leaves me with white.

Any other ideas would be warmly welcomed!

Black Raspberry and Hawthorne Yellow.jpeg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What material are the handrails made of? If metal I’d consider a brushed nickel look to match your door hardware.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your palette. How about a greige tone that reflects the roof colour. Greige and yellow go beautifully together and greige is subtle enough that it won’t compete with the aubergine doors and will instead let them be the star.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d stick with white, it’ll really make the aubergine door colour pop.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go deliberately clashing - how about a bright verdigris green?! :)

You could even go with copper handrails and let them patina over time!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for white. Like @Austina I think the pop of color will make the space even more welcoming and happy. Lovely color combinations.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same color pallete, except for the roof.
My front door as well as the garage doors are a rich brown so we went with the same rich brown for the front porch railings.
I have read you need three three colors on a house, we have the subtle yellow, the red brick and brown doors and accents. I love it! Have fun!

Jimgaield

Rough_Rock
Glad that I came across this thread. :) Thanks for the various tips!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color palette! My first choice would be the white to keep all of the trim work consistent and allow the yellow and door to shine. But, I also really like the idea of the greige being pulled down into the mix as long as it is not a very dark greige. I think that is neutral enough to not compete and maybe easier to maintain/keep clean looking than white.

Congrats on the new "jewelry box" upgrade to house all of your gorgeous new bling:mrgreen2:. Mrs-b is having a fabulous year!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it was sending me out of my ever loving, so when my general contractor came this morning, I had him remove the hand rails on the front steps. It's only 3 steps, so technically, I don't need them. They were also very dated.

The other ones are going white. Once the front hand rails went, the remaining hand rails are minimal and not enough to warrant their own color (tho I was originally considering greige). So I'll stay with white and problem solved!

Thanks, all!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the handrails wood or metal? if metal maybe your guy can get them powder coated instead of painted. It lasts longer and more weather resistant. Some places will do UV outter coat if you live in a sunny location.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the handrails wood or metal? if metal maybe your guy can get them powder coated instead of painted. It lasts longer and more weather resistant. Some places will do UV outter coat if you live in a sunny location.

I hadn't thought of that! Looking it up now - thanks, @Arcadian!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So that beautiful eggplant color ended up being ***!!PURPLE!!*** (ie a very, very loud, violet type of purple) and the yellow is garish. So I'm back to square one. I've found the eggplant color for the door, and it's gorgeous, but am still hunting frantically for a nice yellow.

Painting starts Monday. Currently have guys (8 of them!) here replacing my windows, so I am awash with tradesmen. Poor dogs shoved into boarding.

And did I mention I have pneumonia?

Guests arriving Sunday.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I hope you feel better soon! I would go with white for the rails. You will find the perfect yellow!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the stainless steel/aluminium/brushed nickel/pewter color. What color is your door handle? A burnt bronze may look really pretty as it is not black or bronze.

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Hope you feel better soon! Pneumonia is nothing to fool with. You need to be well for your company. I say white handrails for the ones you are keeping.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha I've been thinking of a yellow accent color in my closet/room recently and I've got like three things yellow Behr color samples in my house right now waiting to be swatched. If you have the time, you can always go to your local home depot and pick up the 8oz sample sizes for a few dollars. Then paint "swatches" on your wall to decide...but give it a full 12hrs so you can see it in all lighting conditions before buying your final color!

I hope you feel better and the pneumonia goes away soon. It's the worst!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@asscherisme - white it is! :)

hi @lambskin - the door will be somewhere between a rich chocolate brown and a purple. It's a gorgeous color - and the knocker is brass.
Thanks @Mcgregor :wavey: This is my 4th bout with pneumonia and it's a raging great pain in the neck. I'm definitely staying with the white hand rails and I'm content with that decision.

@meely - I'm a step ahead of you - and currently have 7 large swatches of paint colors on my front outside wall! It must be screamingly obvious to all my neighbors that we're about to paint - and that it's going to be yellow!! :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're currently having our house painted and so far it's just prep. But color will start to go on on Thursday and I'm in a quandary. My roof is a combo of gray and brown tiles that comes out a very natural looking greige color. The house is going the yellow in the attached photo and the front door will be aubergine - also in the photo. The windows and their trim are white. So here's my problem:

What color should I paint the hand rails leading up to the front door? I've thought of chocolate, but it's too close in color to the door. Black would be way too heavy. Cream will clash with the windows, so that leaves me with white.

Any other ideas would be warmly welcomed!

Black Raspberry and Hawthorne Yellow.jpeg

I love the yellow
Our house is going to be slightly brighter yellow
You know its only some railing and if you don't like the first colour just give it a light sand and paint it again yourself
What's a litre of paint im the whole scheme of things
Have some fun
How about a mid green - you know like an Aussie sports team
My window sills and doors are going to be a bright mid green

Serously i have always liked this colour we call Karaka
It's like a very dark green tinged black - more black than green (think um ...sheep poo)

You could just paint them white
Sigh

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw the purple
(I can't spell egg plant)
That's Fabulouse !!!
Would it look too much to paint the railing to match ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me again
Heehee
I got out my colour wheel
A triad colour scheme of the purple and yellow gives us blue and blue green for the 3rd colour

Go out get some test pots
Have some fun

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds Just FYI, it appears a spammer (which has been reported) bumped this old thread.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Closing this as it is an old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results