shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Comparison: My O-P Next to My F-G RB Eternity Band

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, you could say I was a bit distracted by my rings today while reading my morning paper. It's an unseasonably warm and sunny day in Chicago, so I was enjoying the Book Review outside, and decided to switch up my rings a bit.

I typically wear my O-P antique cushion solitaire with a plain twist band on my left hand, and my eternity band either alone or with my grandmother's ring on my right hand. Well, I paired my eternity band with my cushion solitaire, and was surprised that I don't see a huge color difference. So of course, I had to take a lot of pictures to document the observation so I could share them with all of you. ::)

With the rise in popularity of antique cushions we seem to be fielding a lot of questions about lower colored stones lately. I thought this might be an interesting visual for anyone who wants to see what an O-P looks like next to much higher colored RB melee.

Specs:
Antique Cushion: O-P SI1 2.30 ct set in 18K rose gold solitaire
Eternity Band: F to G 7 point RBs set in platinum shared prong band

Now, for the pictures:

Edited to change "rings" to "stones"

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outside in the shade:
IMG_0259_0.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited to see the pics!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm having difficulties uploading new photos! I select a different photo, but PS keeps on uploading the one I already shared. Stay tuned . . .

ETA:

Thank you, Amy!

I'm frustrated. I can't upload any other photos. I trashed the photo that I already posted, but even still PS just keeps re-uploading that one. I signed out and then back in. I moved all the additional photos into a new folder. Nothing is working. I have so many great photos to share, but I'm just going to wait and come back later to see if it works then.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I'd give it one more try. I successfully uploaded this one, and now THIS is the photo that keeps reuploading. Sheesh! I'll come back in an hour or so and try again.
IMG_0413.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_0420.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blah. I thought I had it figured out, but I don't. Now I'm really going to go finish reading my paper, and return later in hopes that I'll be able to share all these photos. I took them in different light and at different angles, so there are a lot to share!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven,

Sometimes if I edit them down by cropping out the parts I don't need.. it will let me load photos.. that's my trick.. it might work.. can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!!!! :read:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, MayK! I reduced the file sizes and was able to upload these few photos before it started acting quirky again and just reuploading the last photo saved, regardless of the file I chose. Oy, this is going to take a while. I took so many pictures!
ETA: Well, the photos get a bit grainy when I reduce their file size. I can't win, here!

Here are some more:
More photos from outside. My cushion has MB fluor, and I think that mitigates its warmth when it's in sunlight.
(My apologies about my nasty nails. I've done a lot of cooking these last few weeks, so these are working hands!
IMG_0272.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0279.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_0283_0.jpg

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow the colour difference is really interesting! As you say, in some photos it's more noticeable than in others but the difference is definitely smaller than I thought it would be! Both are beautiful rings :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I took too many photos outside. Here are the rest of them:
IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0295.jpg
IMG_0310_0.jpg
I could see all of the trees in the reflection from the table, so I thought that was pretty cool:
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
GAH! Now it's doing it again, just reuploading the same photo over and over and over . . .
I'll get the indoor shots up soon, I hope.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the show Haven. I always enjoy looking at your ring. It looks really nice with your eternity band.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
These shots were taken indoors near a window without any artificial light. These are the best representation of what my stone looks like in real life when she isn't throwing off a lot of fire.
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
And the glitch is happening again. More to come.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0402.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0413_0.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
I shot this in a blue bathroom:
IMG_0430.jpg
Drumroll please . . . The most striking difference, these were taken in our yellow bathroom:
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg
Dim hallway with light grey walls:
IMG_0444.jpg
Foyer with windows nearby and more grey walls:
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
In the living room, no artificial lights, just lots of windows:
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg

And that's it! When I found out I had an O-P on the way, I could not find enough pictures of lower colored stones. SO, I hope this is informative for anyone who is considering a lower colored stone in the future.

The bottom line is this: Sometimes, she looks warm and buttery. Other times, she looks as white as can be. I should share that there's a fancy yellow RB set under the culet to bring out more of her warmth, as well. I imagine she wouldn't look as warm in some situations without that little yellow RB.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Haven I love your ring...always enjoy seeing more pics of that beauty!!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the pictures! They are really helpful and it's fun to see the color differences especially with the various colored walls. The rings look great on your hand!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you rings are just so beautiful :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, I just love the color of your stone!! It really sets off the cut perfectly. I love how it picks up surrounding colors.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is one stunning stone Haven! And it's amazing at how little difference I see b/t it and the eternity band in most of the lighting scenarios you posted. Really, really cool! That is just such a beautiful stone! :love: :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That wrong is so beautiful... So much character in the different lighting.... :love:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring, it's gorgeous. The stone is truly beautiful.
I think it goes well with the whiter band. I do think there is a clear difference between them though and I don't think the diamonds look like they are the same color.
I didn't think I wanted any more diamonds but I wouldn't mind a stone that was like that O-P.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I know *I* never tire of looking at pictures of my rings, but it's nice to have a community who will also sneak a peak when I post them!

I definitely see a color difference between the cushion and the melee, absolutely. What shocked me today was that the difference isn't nearly as striking as I expected it to be. I've never paired these rings together before because they just plain don't go very well together, so in my head I also always expected that my O-P would look really, really tinted next to my band. But in some lighting conditions the difference is there, but not extremely pronounced. I just found it to be so interesting.

I also find it much harder to see color IRL as easily as I see it in pictures. But, I think I'm not color sensitive at all, so perhaps this observation is just me, and not a regular phenomenon.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I'm color sensitive and I see a pretty massive difference. BUT I still like the O-P color, it's like a different category because of the cut. I think antique cushions look awesome in warmer colors. Thanks for sharing!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow so many great photos :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Amy! I love our new digital camera. It's still impossible to get a shot that captures the stone's appearance as it is IRL, but at least these photos are better than my old camera.

After reading a couple posts saying that you see a difference I'm thinking that I was not clear--YES! I see a difference, too. I'm not saying that I don't see a difference in color between my cushion and the melee in my eternity band. I was shocked that the difference wasn't much greater, that's all. I think I must not have been clear on that originally. I did not post these photos thinking that the stones look like they are all the same color. CLEARLY, they are not! ::) Besides, I like my cushion warm, so I'd be terribly upset if they were the same color.

I also think it's interesting that some of you seem to think that being color sensitive translates to photos. Is that a common belief? I tend to have a much easier time seeing tint/color in photos than IRL, so I tend to believe that color sensitivity occurs IRL, but doesn't really apply to photographs. What do you think?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Orchid Lei|1318212808|3036845 said:
I'm color sensitive and I see a pretty massive difference. BUT I still like the O-P color, it's like a different category because of the cut. I think antique cushions look awesome in warmer colors. Thanks for sharing!

Same here. I amextremely color sensitive and can easily see the color difference between the cushion and the vand. With that said- I love cushions in love colors and I actually think your eternity and cushion work well together.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1318214868|3036862 said:
I also think it's interesting that some of you seem to think that being color sensitive translates to photos. Is that a common belief? I tend to have a much easier time seeing tint/color in photos than IRL, so I tend to believe that color sensitivity occurs IRL, but doesn't really apply to photographs. What do you think?

I definitely think that color differences in person are less dramatic and noticeable than in photos. It's a lot harder to focus on color differences when there's so much more going on with the stones in hand. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results