shape
carat
color
clarity

Colonial Pipeline paid the ransom

What are your thoughts regarding the ransom paid?

• 1. They had to. It was the best decision.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 2. It was a mistake. A risky precedent to set.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • 3. Other. I will explain in my post.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What are your thoughts regarding the fact that Colonial Pipeline paid the ransom to the hackers?

Doesn't this open the door to more crimes like this one?
Isn't this a risky precedent to set?

Or was there no choice in your opinion?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Generally, I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I realize sometimes there is no choice. Either you do it or the business is dead.

This article suggests it was an easy choice to pay, as the ransom was unusually low.

However, that leads me to question why are we doing so much on wireless and network with infrastructure support? Much more cumbersome, but you could protect it a bit more if you didn't have everything connected. The US Government actually does that with some classified systems, where their network doesn't touch the internet, so you can still connect to one another but it's not even able to connect online. Other half has that at base.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mixed feelings about them paying the ransom. Yes, it does set a bad precedent and encourages more bad actors to do things like this. But I also heard that this was a known vulnerability that the company could have prepared for but did not. So perhaps this will be a wake up call to all the private companies that own our infrastructure to be more diligent about keeping themselves secure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like the police departments and other government agencies both state and federal and a lot of companies big and small that paid it was the only choice because they refused to fund a complete disaster recovery infrastructure and the expertese to use it.
Sad thing is they wont learn the lesson.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its setting a president
I wonder of they had insurance for this

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
10-1 odds the DC Police are going to end up paying also.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now we have set a precedent

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results