clarity

Colombian emerald - Thoughts please !!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
God!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for a stone in the neighborhood of $58K I would fly to Bogota Colombia and hit the emerald building and hit every dealer therin. Fights and hotels are not expensive. You will pay less and you will be able to choose from countless stones. I enjoyed my experience there.

vik84

Rough_Rock
So I passed on this stone, the combination of the unusual cut and the row of inclusions visible on the face was too much for this price. Will keep hunting for that perfect Colombian emerald. Thanks everyone for your help !

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There was a poster who went down to Columbia and created a wonderful thread, full of information about the dealers there. Anyone remember who it was? She was also buying a higher end emerald.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

vik84

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, passed on the kryptonite stone. Found another no-oil emerald with the same dealer, 2.4cts. Here's the video, let me know what you all think about this stone:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, passed on the kryptonite stone. Found another no-oil emerald with the same dealer, 2.4cts. Here's the video, let me know what you all think about this stone:

:kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock

It's nice, but maybe too transparent for my taste? It doesn't have the Columbian Muzo "metallic sheen" @T L talks about. Apart from that, it's a beautiful stone with perfect clarity and cut.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there a big inclusion at the 7 o’clock location ? For me, I would like a stone face up clean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's nice, but maybe too transparent for my taste? It doesn't have the Columbian Muzo "metallic sheen" @T L talks about. Apart from that, it's a beautiful stone with perfect clarity and cut.

It hard to see that in photos/videos.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
looks beautiful.. i like the colour and sheen. However, there is an inclusion at the 7oclock mark which woudl bother me.

vik84

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I was wondering about that inclusion as well, wasn’t sure if that’s common with emeralds

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I was wondering about that inclusion as well, wasn’t sure if that’s common with emeralds

I am on a learning curve as well...
This is what I am learning....
jardin- white inclusions that is commonly seen - mostly in what I see in chivor emeralds.
”dark” inclusions- to be honest I haven’t seen a lot of what I see here. I have seen more jardin than this particular darker inclusion in this stone.

Windows are ”common”

this colour is more my kinda green...
but I am really having a new appreciation of the glowy green from chivor mines.... I also have seen this kinda bluey green from chivoras well.

I guess it is about what you want and the budget that you have, and the timing for getting the ring sorted. it is important to remember: the image thst we see is quite magnified.... woudl it be visible at arms length away? Maybe , maybe not... however, with step cuts, it is unforgiving with inclusions under the table.

This would bother me and, it may not for you. For a cleaner stone- price would then jump up.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It does have gota de aceite. If you look care fully on the video when the stone is tilted you can see the waves on the inside of the stone. On photos and videos this is almost impossible to detect. Emeralds look a thousand times better in real life especially when it comes to this quality. This is pretty much as good as an emerald gets and it is trade ideal.

Many things are subjective especially in colored stones and emeralds are the hardest stones to pick out online due to their inability to photograph well and top stones being the worst in that regard but objectively it is among the top. Inclusions are a natural part of emeralds and while I am hard on emerald clarity that does not mean the complete abscence of inclusions because then it would not be an emerald or would be in the millions if you found one at say an auction.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been doing a lot of research on emeralds lately and this one is gorgeous!
No oil in emeralds is becoming increasingly rare. There’s no doubt in my mind that your potential emerald is coming with an equally steep price tag. Personally, I think it’s stunning! The color is deep and rich and there’s no bothersome inclusions to my eye. So long as that small inclusion isn’t going to be an issue when setting, I think you’ve found yourself a perfect gem.

vik84

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, it's just so hard to find a no-oil emerald that it's tempting to just dip in to buy and hold these stones. Found one more smaller 1.24ct no-oil emerald, much less expensive (less than $10K total), thinking that this might be a better first buy with this dealer. Stone has been certified by CDTEC in Bogota. What do you think ?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a lovely glow to it. I'd like to get a close-up of this spot here:

1591936579980.png
1591936602526.png

vik84

Rough_Rock
I finally found my no-oil Colombian emerald !! A beautiful 2.68 Chivor emerald from the same dealer, stone to be certified by AGL in New York for origin and no treatment. Can't wait to see it in person !

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally found my no-oil Colombian emerald !! A beautiful 2.68 Chivor emerald from the same dealer, stone to be certified by AGL in New York for origin and no treatment. Can't wait to see it in person !

That glow is amazing! Did you work with George?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that looks great - it even looks like it might have the Gota de Aceite glow. At the very least, it is well cut, with a blue green glow and what looks to be very little extinction. If the videos are accurate, you have found a beautiful stone!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Woooooooowww. That is one incredible emerald!! More pics please!!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@vik84 Gosh that's a very special stone. I guess the lesson here is sometimes you just have to bide your time for the right stone!
Can't wait to see pics when you have it!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous , I have been following your journey and glad you found your stone. Can't wait to see how you set it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing find! How will you set your beautiful stone?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've been working with George for a couple of years to find a good no-oil emerald.

It paid off! Congrats on your stunning new emerald!

vik84

Rough_Rock
What an amazing find! How will you set your beautiful stone?

Probably in gold with a smaller matched pair of contrasting stones on both sides like blue sapphires or red spinel (white diamond settings are too common).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results