shape
carat
color
clarity

College Acceptance Texts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090226/ts_usnews/collegeacceptancelettersareglitzierbutrejectionsareharsher

Apparently colleges are changing way they accept or deny college applicants.

I think I''d feel disappointed if I received a "You''ve Been Accepted" text. It wasn''t that long ago that I was applying to colleges, and I remember running to the mailbox everyday looking for the fat envelopes.

It was great! I was so excited every day that I got the mail!

Texts or emails just don''t seem as exciting.

Thoughts?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 1:23:45 PM
Author:elledizzy5
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090226/ts_usnews/collegeacceptancelettersareglitzierbutrejectionsareharsher

Apparently colleges are changing way they accept or deny college applicants.

I think I''d feel disappointed if I received a ''You''ve Been Accepted'' text. It wasn''t that long ago that I was applying to colleges, and I remember running to the mailbox everyday looking for the fat envelopes.

It was great! I was so excited every day that I got the mail!

Texts or emails just don''t seem as exciting.

Thoughts?
I agree. I enjoyed (and loathed) the mail very very much my senior year of college.

I got an informal email when I got accepted to grad school which put me out of my agony. Then I got the fat official envelope a week later. I still remember getting the email from my school and then running up and down the hallways of my sorority house yelling "I got in! I got in!"

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

Totally ridiculous.

I was accepted early admission (thankfully not to any of these schools; though they probably didn't use these tactics in 2001) and I actually got a very thin envelope. Inside was one piece of paper that just said I had been accepted and would get more information later. I think the anticipation of going to the mailbox every day and then opening that envelope is a huge part of the college experience (my mom got home first and really wanted to open it, but just left it on the counter ... she was as excited as me and couldn't wait for me to get home and see it!).

Doing it electronically is kind of lame and takes away a rite of passage, IMO.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
They also mention in the article the *glitzy* new acceptance packages that make a huge big fat deal of your acceptance. T shirts, keychains, etc.

I wonder if that''s making a significant difference in where kids decide to attend? Yanno, the Gen Y need for constant reassurance and reward?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yechhh. I''m not a fan of the gimmicks - perhaps they could lower the cost of admission instead of spending the bucks on t-shirts and crazy envelopes. But then again, I''m not 17 anymore, either.

I agree, Elle - there was something so exciting about running home and checking the mail for acceptance letters, even though I actually called to check my admission status and found out that way (and I still remember the voice of the phone saying "Welcome to the Redbird family, you''ve been accepted!" - I later worked for admissions and had the pleasure of telling other students the same thing, which was always a really cool experience).

The letters/actual person''s voice are so much more personal, and considering a university is like a home (not a concert!), I think the traditional methods convey that message a lot better.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think I found out through email first... right in the middle of my school day. I was so excited to go to my next class and tell my friends! I still got a letter though. I agree that the tshirts and confetti are uneccessary and wasteful.

This is a scary thought... one of my ex boyfriends SOMEHOW was accepted to Baylor (no clue how... he had like a 1.8 in high school
20.gif
) and managed to get a job in the admissions office. Apparently the high up admissions people would narrow the applications down a little and then my ex and some other people were in charge of actually choosing who got into the school. I think its ridiculous that those students'' educational fates were put in the hands of an idiot.
32.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I was all for the envelopes!! I''m kinda torn on this one. It would save a WHOOOOOOOLE lot of paper to do it electronically. I certainly would be against texts, because they''re still kind of undependable, can get lost in space, etc. But emails do make much more sense environmentally. But the "rite of passage" line is very true for those envelopes. Man.... my head says the emails are smart, but I sure loved opening that big honking envelope!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 2:03:16 PM
Author: oobiecoo
I think I found out through email first... right in the middle of my school day. I was so excited to go to my next class and tell my friends! I still got a letter though. I agree that the tshirts and confetti are uneccessary and wasteful.

This is a scary thought... one of my ex boyfriends SOMEHOW was accepted to Baylor (no clue how... he had like a 1.8 in high school
20.gif
) and managed to get a job in the admissions office. Apparently the high up admissions people would narrow the applications down a little and then my ex and some other people were in charge of actually choosing who got into the school. I think its ridiculous that those students'' educational fates were put in the hands of an idiot.
32.gif
Wait...as a STUDENT?!!

That''s crazy. I worked in every part of our admissions office at my alma mater - but that''s NOT an area where students had a say, and IMO, shouldn''t be!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Its also disruptive...so much of the tears over rejection, and there are lots of rejections now that kids apply to 10-12 schools (hopefully the recession will make people think over that expenditure and cut down on the insanity) happens in school. Last year kids were checking their emails between classes, and I''m sure that now they have iphones and are being surreptitious. But there are still tears and it is so upsetting and disruptive during school. Thanks for the story Lucky, I keep telling them that its a totally random selection process, you backed it up. I used to score essays in grad school, it was hard to think about how kids slaved over those essays and about .5 of them never got read again after I caught a spelling or grammatical error. On that note, please tell any hs jrs you know to NEVER write about how so and so died and it inspired them to "Carpe Diem." That, according to admission folks, is still every third essay and there is no original way to do it. Write about anything else. ANYTHING.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I loved the letters... loved them. A text is far too impersonal... it is like a thank you card... better sent with a stamp.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
When I found out I was accept to Harvard I got kicked out of the library.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:44:34 PM
Author: pennquaker09
When I found out I was accept to Harvard I got kicked out of the library.
Love that Penn
1.gif

Ash found out online, no texts..

Some still send letters, we are going through this now with DS. But most are online, they give you a code, and a time to check it, it''s crazy. I myself loved the thick envelopes.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My youngest daughter just received notices that she got into all the schools she applied to via emails from each school, with letter to follow. A text? I wouldn''t like that idea. It''s redundant anyway, since the only "real" document is the actual written acceptance letter. That''s what you have to have to apply for student loans, residence, etc. On the issue of how exciting it might be, she was thrilled to get the email from her top school and didn''t care how the info came to her!
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gotten really bad in the last few years. When I was teaching, there would be kids in computer labs or the library clicking refresh like their life depended on it. I suppose I found it kind of funny because I was there not so many years ago.

I still remember the first big envelope and I think that''s one of the best things about senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results