shape
carat
color
clarity

cocktail hour music: classical vs. jazz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i''m getting confused with all these decisions i have to make so thought i''d ask for some of your feedback.

i hired a pianist for the cocktail hour--they said i can choose either classical or jazz. I thought classical might be nice---soothing background music until we go to reception where the band kicks it up a notch.
my mom said cocktail music is too boring and will put people to sleep. i personally think it''d sound classy vs. swing music but i haven''t seen it too much. if i had a big budget i''d hire a string quartet, so thinking classical style is most in line with that feel.
what do you guys think or what are you doing?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think jazz and cocktails go together. I creates a fun atmosphere.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Well, ultimately I think you should do what is more "you." I really enjoy and appreciate classical music, however FI and I listen to jazz all the time and we collect albums by our favorite artists, so jazz fits better with us. We really enjoy listening to it.

What do you play when you have friends over to your place for cocktails or dinner, classical or jazz? When you envision gonig to a fabulous cocktail party, do you hear classical music (sophisicated, soothing, calming) or do you hear jazz (also sophisticated, can be upbeat or slower, can be vocal or instrumental, could get people''s feet tapping). Maybe this will help you think about what is more "you."

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
definately jazz! it will loosen the guests up a bit!!!!!!!!

lovebug

Rough_Rock
We are having a classical trio play at the ceremony and then a jazz trio at the cocktails. I had the same problem as you, but I just thought that after the ceremony, you want it (or I wanted it) to be more upbeat and a way to begin the celebration. You don''t want it to be too loud though, I would think. That way people can still chat. I think you could still do classical, or whatever you want, but I know I wanted to keep it upbeat and festive, which I think you could do with either classical or jazz. Live music is beautiful no matter what, so you can''t go wrong!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 8:28:20 PM
Author: lovebug
We are having a classical trio play at the ceremony and then a jazz trio at the cocktails. I had the same problem as you, but I just thought that after the ceremony, you want it (or I wanted it) to be more upbeat and a way to begin the celebration. You don''t want it to be too loud though, I would think. That way people can still chat. I think you could still do classical, or whatever you want, but I know I wanted to keep it upbeat and festive, which I think you could do with either classical or jazz. Live music is beautiful no matter what, so you can''t go wrong!

That sounds lovely! Personally, I love the wedding=classical and cocktail hour=jazz idea. I think either one would sound great though. Can''t go wrong either way.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither would be a bad choice IMO. Jazz might be a little more lively though.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m definitely thinking jazz for cocktail hour. I''m a classically trained pianist, and jazz is much more conducive, IMO, to mingling with drinks in hand, and conversation! Listen to your mom on this one, janinegirly, lol!
2.gif

niku414

Rough_Rock
Is there anyway you can mix the two and get a little bit of each ?? :) If not... I guess I will vote for Jazz

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i would do whatever feels right for you as a couple and for your venue. we hired a string trio for the wedding and a harpist for the cocktail hour. the music was beautiful and a little different. i don''t think anyone found it dull at all.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
well the pianist has informed they can do combo of classical and light jazz..so i''ll go with that! thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results