shape
carat
color
clarity

Coach or Rebecca Minkoff?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
So I''ve been bad. Really bad.

I decided this weekend that I wanted to get a cross-body purse a) because I wanted a *treat* and b) because it seemed to be user friendly as far as using two hands etc.

I shopped around and came home with this - it is Coach "Poppy" in Chalk leather:

IMG00252.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I thought she was really cute and summery and was pretty happy until I found this at our local discount store (Winners) - this is a RM Mini Nikki in "Brown Bear":

IMG00253.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, the Nikki isn''t cross body, but I felt like it was such a steal and the leather is so nice and I don''t have anything like it.

BUT it isn''t the cross-body I was looking for.

Should I keep the Coach? People who have owned both types, is one better quality than the other? The RM feels better but I''m new to the purse game so I''m not sure!

Sorry for the crappy bb pics - my camera is dead!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You found a Minkoff at Winners?!!! You''re kidding! Which location? The one at Front and Church?

As for your question, I''m undecided. I LOVE Rebecca Minkoff. I can''t say enough about the quality of her purses and the leather is unbelievably luxurious. That said, I hear you about the cross-body. Incredibly functional, especially for downtown living - i.e. lots of walking. With the Nikki, I would think it would keep slipping off your arm? I have a coach hobo and I never use it because it slips off my arm every few minutes, which I find very annoying. I haven''t bought another hobo since.

Also, I''m not sure about the quality of coach leather. I, personally, am not a fan of Coach. I do have that one coach purse mentioned above but it''s not leather. But there are a few ladies here who love Coach, and may be able to give their input on the leather.

Any chance you can keep both?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Yep Winners! College and Yonge - there were two full sized Nikkis there as well (plum and tan/saddle) and some clutches.

No - I won''t keep both. I''m thinking that I will take the coach back and get a cheaper cross body since the RM feels like better quality for the money. Just thought I''d see what the smart ladies of PS thought first!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
RM hands down! I have more than one Nikki and generally I''m not a huge fan of shoulder carry purses but I love my bag. I don''t have much arm slippage with it but if it''s overly full it can happen sometimes. The quality is fantastic and I get compliments on it wherever I go.

I don''t own any Coach actually so I''m probably not a huge help but I was never a Coach fan anyways which is why I never bought one. I think when I do get a cross body bag I might get a Foley + Corrina bag. They have some super cute cross body bags that are very roomy.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Violet02 :) I was pretty excited to find her (although part of me wishes she was black!)

But dark brown is a good neutral, right?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My vote: keep the RM, return the Coach, then get a RM Morning After Clutch for a cross-body! I have two MACs, and I love them for hands-free shopping and other activities. They''re surprisingly roomy.

I have a number of Coach bags I love, but I am really liking RM''s fresh-but-classic-luxe vibe. It''s a nice change of pace, and I only know one other girl IRL who carries RMs.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
My bag collection is mostly comprised of Coach (with a few other notables tossed in to add variety), so obviously I''m a fan of the quality of the leather. That said, I don''t have any RM, but I''m becoming a fan the more I see them. The leather does feel much more decadent than Coach.

How about you return the Coach bag and keep the RM, but maybe check out the cross body bags Coach produces? Mostly they''re made of canvas, but the quality is great, they''re dirt cheap at the outlet, and they come in tons of awesome styles!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 11:56:43 AM
Author: kama_s

You found a Minkoff at Winners?!!!
That was my first thought too!!! I''ll have to make a trip down to College & Yonge soon
3.gif

I think both bags are fabulous so I won''t give an opinion on which one you should keep. BUT, I do want to express my love for cross-body bags and how practical they are. I splurged and treated myself to a designer one a few years ago and I have definitely reduced its ''cost per wear'' to help justify the splurge! It''s my shopping, airport carry-on, walk around downtown, out with the ladies purse all rolled into one!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey!

I say definitely keep the RM- you'll love it!! I have a grey Nikki (full size) and I adore mine!!!! The leather is so buttery and delicious!!!
36.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks girls - I took the Coach back and feel really good about it!!

Now I just need to find a good cross body to add to the collection :) Suggestions?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Ugh--PS ate my prior post. Here are my cross-body suggestions again:

1) Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Clutch (MAC)! I love mine. It's perfect daytime or nighttime. My black patent one is seemingly indestructible.

2) Look at Treesje's cross-body bags. Their line is interesting and trendy, and they use really great leathers. The Jovi and Soleil are two nicely-sized cross-bodies.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would never want a purse with a top zipper so the RM wouldn''t work for me. I have to say I just traveled abroad for a week and borrowed my MIL''s coach cross body purse (I don''t own any that style) and it made me feel MUCH more secure. I was in a high crime area. She got her''s at the outlet and I think she paid under $50 for it.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
oct2008, I''m glad you kept your RM. I can''t believe you got it at a value cost. Now to find a cross body eh? How big do you want it?

kittybean, do you have any pics of your MAC''s or pics of you wearing your RM MAC''s that you''d like to share. I''m curious to see the size on a person.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you decided to keep the RM. Trust me, you''ll love and enjoy it.

For other Torontonians:

- I went to the Winners at Front and Church and found two mini Devotes in tan. Price was 325$ (CAD).
- The Winners at Yonge and College has two large Niki''s in mustard and WINE(!!!!). Price was 325$ each (CAD).

I''m not sure if I''m happy seeing RM at Winners. It was rather upsetting to see her beautiful bags dusty and scratched up (well, just one had obvious scratches) lying on the floor and being stepped on.
6.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 5:06:53 PM
Author: kittybean

Ugh--PS ate my prior post. Here are my cross-body suggestions again:

1) Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Clutch (MAC)! I love mine. It''s perfect daytime or nighttime. My black patent one is seemingly indestructible.

2) Look at Treesje''s cross-body bags. Their line is interesting and trendy, and they use really great leathers. The Jovi and Soleil are two nicely-sized cross-bodies.
I''ve always wondered if I should get a MAC. I love the studded ones. But I doubt it could fit my wallet, keys, phone, lipbalm etc. How much do you put in your MAC?

October: Have you considered a purse that also has a longer strap? I have this Botkier bag which also comes with a long strap. I cross-body it when I''m walking around town. You can essentially do this with any kind of bag.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I agree about RM being at Winners - however I think it is still not as bad as having a full-on outlet store (as far as degrading the brand).

Otherwise where would us Canadians buy RM?! haha

I''m totally up for a bag that has a longer strap.

I have the option of getting a Marc by Marc Jacobs "Hillier" for half price if I wait till May - that has the short and long strap options

MBMJ Hillier (but not this colour)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2010 4:32:57 PM
Author: kama_s

I''ve always wondered if I should get a MAC. I love the studded ones. But I doubt it could fit my wallet, keys, phone, lipbalm etc. How much do you put in your MAC?
I fit tons of stuff in my MAC! I used to be a giant-purse-only kind of girl, but I am such a MAC convert. At the moment, I have a big Hobo International Lauren clutch-wallet, my glasses (in their case), my sunglasses (no case), my cell phone, my Kindle, my keys, a couple lip glosses, and a powder compact and brush. It all fits pretty neatly in there, so I''m not rooting around looking for stuff all the time. If I switch to a small wallet, I can actually stuff a bottled water in there, too, but that is really pushing it--plus I worry about having a sideways water bottle in such close proximity to a bunch of electronics.

I change up the strap on my MAC a lot. Cross-body for sporting events and shopping, then double up both sides for a nighttime shoulder bag.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results