shape
carat
color
clarity

CND Shellac vs. Gelish?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does anyone know the difference between these products? My nails are typically very weak and break easily. Will either one of these keep that from happening or is it simply that your mani will last 2-3 weeks? Thanks!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I think that they are very, very similar - but maybe Gelish is just a little bit thicker in consistency?

I've had both used on me before, and I prefer the Gelish, just because there are so many more color options to choose between. I actually have it on right now, in the form of a french manicure.

As far as the weak and brittle nails go - mine are the exact same way. No matter what I do, they always seem to peel and break extremely easily, and they are also very thin and soft. It depends upon who does my manicure and how much they know about applying gel polishes, but mine can last for up to two weeks with no chips. I probably usually start getting a couple of small chips about 1.5 weeks through, but I can usually hold out for two weeks between manicures. On the other hand, I have had a couple that have only lasted for a week or even slightly less, but I think it has a lot to do with the manicurist being a little bit inexperienced and applying the product too thickly.

I know that some women can make their gel manicures last for up to three weeks (if they can stand the nail regrowth that starts showing), but for my nails, two weeks really seems to be the limit - which I still think is really good, considering the fact that a regular manicure only lasts for a day or two on me.

Oh, and I have noticed that if I have the gel polish taken off and give my nails a 'break', they seem to be thinner and even weaker. I'm not sure how much damage the product itself actually causes, though. I'm really thinking that it may again have more to do with the inexperience of some manicurists. I have actually found one particular person that I really love to go to now, and she seems to think that she can make my nails healthier, even with the gel polish. We'll see, but I have my fingers crossed! :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks shitzulover! So if my nails tend to break (to the point where I have to cut it to the quick), neither of these treatments will keep that from happening? That's what I really need. :blackeye:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that they're really considered to be treatments. I edited my post above while you were posting your reply, explaining that these manicures can actually seem to harm the condition of your nails - at least if your manicurist doesn't quite know the proper way to remove the polish, etc.

I still really like the gel manicures though, because I love having pretty, polished nails without having to paint them constantly (since mine are always peeling and chipping).

Also, your results may be better than mine, since everyone's nails are different. If gel manicures don't work for you though, I think that there are products that can be applied to make your nails stronger. Have you ever tried any of those? I've even seen some in the drugstore.

Good luck! :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am incredibly lazy. :oops: I have tried some of these products, but I never keep it up. I was looking for a cure all. :D While I love having my nails look polished, I really want them to be the same length (even if that length is fairly short)...I just think that having nails of varying lenghts on the same hand looks terrible, so I usually have to keep them incredibly short.

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
I have fairly strong nails that grow pretty quickly, but I use gelish for my bi-monthly manicure, whether I do it myself or at the salon because of the extreme staying power and how slick and shiny it looks. (talk about a run-on sentence, sorry!) Shellac's formula is thinner and the color selection is quite limited, like the poster above said. It requires more coats to look opaque whereas gelish has a ton more colors and only take two coats of color to look perfect. There are many new gel polish options out there now such as gelac, gelefex, gelife, etc.

I haven't experienced any nail weakness or thinning, but I researched removal a lot before I embarked on this gel polish journey. The easiest and safest way I've found for removal is using small pieces of cotton soaked with acetone and wrapping each nail with foil which I leave on for 10 minutes. The polish mostly lifts and separates from my natural nail, if there's anything left over, I push it off with an orange stick. You're right, it's not a treatment, but I think it will protect your natural nail from breakage while you have it on. Hope that helps!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Shellac manicure right now and it's fabulous in all respects but one.

Pros:
REALLY looks fresh even after a week and a half.
I've only had one small chip
I have several weak nails and this stuff is doing a fabulous job reinforcing my nail strength.

Con:
Color was SEVERAL shades lighter than that on the bottle. Which the stylist said is pretty much the rule with them.
Not enough colors.

The place I got my Shellac at is VERY good about the application, they were total stars about it. SO I agree that it is important you go to a really good place.
I don't know if they do Gelish around here but I'd be excited to try it out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question for those who aren't first timers. How do you remove the Shellac? I see the acetone removal above, and I'd be on board for that but my salon says they have to buff it off? :confused:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy

I am currently on my second consecutive shellac manicure. When I got the first set removed, the therapist soaked a cotton pad in acetone and wrapped this and my finger tips in foil. Left me for 5 mins and then in all just wiped off. No hassle and no fuss. Don't quite understand the need for buffing? :-o

Where's Amytheste when we need her!!

Let us know how it goes!! :wavey:

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1318296913|3037417 said:
Question for those who aren't first timers. How do you remove the Shellac? I see the acetone removal above, and I'd be on board for that but my salon says they have to buff it off? :confused:

Hi Gypsy, did they use the Shellac line the entire way through? For Gelish, I do have to buff it to "break the seal" as their top coat is not porous. This step isn't necessary for the Shellac top coat, though.

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1318296790|3037415 said:
I have a Shellac manicure right now and it's fabulous in all respects but one.

Pros:
REALLY looks fresh even after a week and a half.
I've only had one small chip
I have several weak nails and this stuff is doing a fabulous job reinforcing my nail strength.

Con:
Color was SEVERAL shades lighter than that on the bottle. Which the stylist said is pretty much the rule with them.
Not enough colors.

The place I got my Shellac at is VERY good about the application, they were total stars about it. SO I agree that it is important you go to a really good place.
I don't know if they do Gelish around here but I'd be excited to try it out.

Oops, totally didn't see this post until now. The gel polishes, especially Gelish, are notorious for not being true to the color on the bottle. You have to open the bottle to see how the color really looks. There are websites with swatches for true to life colors vs. bottle color.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I did it! I got the gelish, which is what my salon has. They said that they won't need to buff it to get it off in 2-3 weeks. I certainly hope that's the case, as I wouldn't have done this if I thought buffing was a part of the process. My nails look fantastic! I did a french manicure, which I'm not used to, so it looks a little fake to me, but it's so shiny and nice that my nails haven't broken or chipped since I had this done a few days ago. Next time, I think I'll try to find a natural shade (i.e. buff/pale pink) which is what I usually do on my nails whenever I attempt to polish them myself at home!

Gypsy, will you let me know what the removal process was like for you once you have it done? Just curious to hear your impressions...thanks!

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1318362724|3037935 said:
Well, I did it! I got the gelish, which is what my salon has. They said that they won't need to buff it to get it off in 2-3 weeks. I certainly hope that's the case, as I wouldn't have done this if I thought buffing was a part of the process. My nails look fantastic! I did a french manicure, which I'm not used to, so it looks a little fake to me, but it's so shiny and nice that my nails haven't broken or chipped since I had this done a few days ago. Next time, I think I'll try to find a natural shade (i.e. buff/pale pink) which is what I usually do on my nails whenever I attempt to polish them myself at home!

Gypsy, will you let me know what the removal process was like for you once you have it done? Just curious to hear your impressions...thanks!

I'm so glad you tried it out! I'd love to see pictures if you have time :) During the removal process, they don't actually buff your natural nail, they just do a few swipes with a nail file on the top layer of the gelish to "break the seal" which removes the shine, then the acetone portion of the removal starts. If you google, "gelish removal break the seal" many links will come up. I promise it won't hurt your natural nail, it just speeds the acetone removal.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Shellac lasts 3 weeks for me: no chips.

But in 3 weeks my nails have grown a lot so the cuticle end is bare. So I usually remove the manicure by then.

I admit i have very strong and fast growing nails and easily grow them to an inch long (but don't because then I can't pick anything up :cheeky: )

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to warn you ladies about something: I read an article in a magazine and apparently the UV light that is used to cure your nails when you get the gellish or shellac is very strong/ concentrated and it can "age" your hands; makes sense if you think about it. I recently noticed a brown spot on my right hand and couldn't figure out how it'd happened since I'm so scared of the sun and am always staying out of it. I reckon it must be from the exposure to the UV light!! :knockout:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing to keep in mind - acetone can be problematic. I didn't discover I was allergic until a nail salon used it on me to get tips off in high school. My nail beds swelled up and my finger tips throbbed for about 24 hours. Ouch!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have gel on now. It makes my nails much harder and stronger. The gel has allowed my nails to grow long without looking thick and fake like acrylics. My gel manicure lasts 2-3 weeks, but I get clear or very sheer pink so when they grow out it's not obvious. I last got my nails done 10 days ago and they still look totally perfect.

The gels do help your nails grow long, but they are more of a reinforcement than treatment and removing them is damaging. They have to either soak your nails in chemicals and scrape them or grind them off. Not ideal.

If you are looking for something to actually strengthen your nails I highly recommend Nailtiques.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results