shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudy diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Frede

Rough_Rock
Hi! I''m new to this. I came across this site when I did a search on cloudy diamonds. I noticed that a user on this forum had a similar complaint to mine. However, this is where mine differs: the diamond I have is what they call a transitional diamond - when the European cut was going toward the American cut. It came in a ring circa 1910. Well, the stats on it is that it''s an I diamond, SI2. The clarity of it has not been bad - it hasn''t ever looked cloudy under normal, natural lighting, and under regular lighting, it looks okay. It''s not the best, but it is a beautiful cut. Well, in the last week, I have noticed that it has been looking cloudy. I''ve tried cleaning it, and it still looks cloudy. Before I started wearing this ring, I used to wear a ring with an amythest. It started to get cloudy, too. Is this happening because it''s really dirty? If so, what kind of jeweller should I take it too, and how can I assure myself that nothing bad will happen to it? If anyone can help me out, I would be really appreciative. Thanks!
wavey.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Take it to a jeweler that has a steam cleaner. First get it very clean before you can asset the problem. It could just be the way its cut. What metal was the ring made of ?

Most of those kind of diamonds came a little later like 1916 to 1920. This is something I would have to see. But first things first. Get it cleaned have the jeweler look at it.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Are you using your tap water and soap to clean your jewelry? Sounds like you may be having a mineral buildup on them. I would try soaking in jewelry cleaner, use a soft toothbrush on the underside of the stone, and then rinsing with filtered water. Don't wear your rings while applying makeup, hairspray, etc. The film builds up behind the stone if you can't get to the back of the stone to clean it.

Frede

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your reply. I have taken it to a jeweler. He said that it appears to be very dirty. He is professionally cleaning it, and this Saturday, I will find out how it looks. I hope that's all it was. It is set in 18k white gold. It's a beautiful setting and, even though the diamond isn't the best quality, it is beautiful to the naked eye. It just startled me to see how cloudy it became. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
1.gif

Frede

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for replying and your input. I have a jewelery cleaner I use. However, unfortunately, I do use tap water to rinse it. I haven't thought about filtered water. I don't have a filter, but I could buy distilled, if that is alright. I have taken it to a jeweler and he says that it is very dirty. I have used my jewelery cleaner and a soft toothbrush, but, he said that due to the very deep inset setting, it will always be difficult to clean. Therefore, it will need regular cleaning by a professional. I will be picking it up this Saturday, so I will see how it looks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I never wear my ring when applying anything - I always remove it. I'm an artist, so I know I have to be mindful, lest I ruin a great piece of jewelery. Nevertheless, I know I must get something in contact with it for it to get dirty, but I always make sure that if I put any makeup on, put gel or mousse in my hair, put lotion on, etc., I always remove my ring. Again, thanks.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results