shape
carat
color
clarity

Clomid

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I know there have been previous threads on infertility, but I was looking for a thread specifically focused on the use of clomid, and I couldn''t find anything. I figured I''d start this thread and see if anyone chimed in.

I have recently found out that I do not ovulate, and have started my first round of Clomid since my DH and I are TTC. I am just wondering what othert people''s experiences are with this drug. Here are some of my questions, but feel free to incldue any other information you have.

What dosage did you take?
Was it successful in causing ovualtion?
Did it result in pregnancy?
How many cycles did you try it?
Did you notice any side effects?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2009 3:09:21 PM
Author:so cal girl

What dosage did you take?

Was it successful in causing ovualtion?

Did it result in pregnancy?

How many cycles did you try it?

Did you notice any side effects?

sorry, I don''t have time to go into great detail, but...

don''t remember the dosage (I wanna say something like 20mg although that may have been a different drug)

yes, it caused increased ovulation

it did not result in pregnancy

I tried it for 3 cycles and then my ovaries went on strike and I quit

side effects -- I became a RAGING b!tch, maybe that''s why I didn''t get pregnant??!!

Actually, I took Clomid years ago and then eventually "gave up" (you know people say to just give up but it seems impossible.) One day I did just kind of "give up", I got pregnant naturally a few months later.

good luck to you!

I will try to stop in later to see if you have any more questions I can answer.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the information somethingshiny. Glad you to hear you were able to get pregnant eventually the natural way. I don''t know how long I''d have to try before I decided to just give up, but everyone says it will happen when you least expect it, so maybe that''s better.

This is my first month, so not sure if it will turn me into a b!tch or not :) I''m about halfway throuhg my cycle, and it I don''t realize any changes so far, but we''ll see. They started me on 50mg, which I was told was a pretty low dosage, so maybe the side effects won''t be as bad.

My sister (who has the same problems I do) got pregnant her first month using Clomid and an IUI, although she told me she was on 250mg. That seems like a lot to me, so maybe she has no clue what she''s talking about. Or maybe her doctor figured if they were going to try, they were going to go all or nothing. By the way, she''s having twins!

I hope some other people can share their experiences.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was on 50 mg dosage, too. I ended up having 5-7 ripe eggs every month I was on it. My problem wasn''t getting pregnant, it was staying pregnant. So, the dr figured it would increase the chances of carrying to term if 3-4 were fertilized.

I had severe cramping around ovulation while I was on Clomid, but I also have endometrioses and PCOS (so who knows what''s ACTUALLY causing any of the effects?) During the 3rd month, the pain got very severe and my ovaries were enlarged. My dr took me off Clomid then. I did try it a few years later with no success, and I believe I only went 1-2 months on that round.

Congratulations to your sister!! What a success story!

btw-"giving up" took 6 years.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hi So Cal and good luck,
We are in the same situation. My dose was the same this month, first round, 50mg, not sure of anything yet except that something is swollen in there. I think you can SEE my ovaries they are so pouching out. I had to go out a notch in my belt this am. Remember to stay hydrated. I''m so tired and scatterbrained (more so than normal if at all possible). Are you doing IUI? I too have PCOS, goodness Shiny, to have PCOS and Endo, gives me hope that you were able to conceive and carry.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Hi so cal girl! DH and I tried TTC "naturally" for a year unsucessfully and then I went to my OB/GYN to have some tests ran and found out I wasn't ovulating. I don't have PCOS but for some reason my cycles weren't happening regularly. In March he started me on Provera to kick start a cycle and then my next cycle in April (natural cycle) I took Clomid on cycle days 3-7. I ovulated on CD 16 which is common. On Clomid you tend to ovulate a little later. I actually went in for an ultrasound on CD 13 and he found 2 smaller follicles and didn't think I would ovulate but then 3 days later I got a positive ovulation test! Here I am 38 weeks and two days later expecting our first little one any day!
9.gif
Had the first round of clomid not worked we were going to go up to 100mg and go the route of IUI. We just wanted to try it on our own the first month. Good luck to you!

What dosage did you take? 50mg
Was it successful in causing ovualtion? Yes, I used ovulation predictor strips, and they worked great!
Did it result in pregnancy? Yes
How many cycles did you try it? It only took one
Did you notice any side effects? Not as much as I've heard with other women. I had some moodiness but my head wasn't quite spinning! Ha!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Hi so cal girl,
I started Clomid this month as well - 50 mg, CD''s 4-8. I do ovulate - but for the past six cycles after the pill my ovulation was late (doc says they''re irregular), and I also recently had a 60+ day cyle with ovualtion on day 48. My ovaries are also polycystic and I''m currently being evaluated for PCOS as well. I didn''t have to take Clomid, I guess, but requested it from my doc to improve my chances of TTC.

I had no side effects really. I also thought it might dry up my cm but I''ve had ewcm for the past couple days - so I guess not. It''s different for everyone, but apparently the lower dose has less side effects, anyway.

I''m still waiting to ovulate - hope I do soon.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Glad I got some reasponses. Thanks so much to all of you for speaking up.

somethingshiny - That must be a pain to have both PCOS and endometrioses. Literally! The reason we found out I had PCOS was because I was having a lot of sharp pains in my lower abdomen when I went off the pill, and they did an ultrasound and found cysts on my ovaries. They were causing enough pain by themselves.

swimmer - I am also feeling a little bloated in that area, but I''m blaming it more on holiday over eating :) We''re not doing IUI... yet. It is not covered by my insurance, so we are just going to try with the clomid for now. If that doesn''t work after a number of cycles, I may be willing to pay for an IUI, but we''ll have to wait and see if it comes to that. What about you?

L2L - Congratulations! It is so good to hear that Clomid worked for you. I am hoping to have your success.

Sha - Good luck to you. What CD are you at right now? I took Clomid CD 5-9, and I *think* I O''d on CD 18. At least I got a
1.gif
on a Clear Blue Easy ovulation test (which is suppsed to detect an LH surge) that day. I have to go in on CD 23 for bloodwork to confirm. So we''ll see what happens.

It''s so good to know I am not alone in this. Thanks to everyone for responding. I hope we get more success stories!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results